November 26, 2011

Soul Holes

************************

For years before I left The Way, I was a self-help book junkie. I enjoyed most every book I read.

One of the qualities (to me) of a good self-help book is the author's own story. Whether or not their story directly applies to my situation is often irrelevant to me. I enjoy the inspiration, the tenacity of the human soul, to overcome and to endure...even to endure the mundane.

For years before I left The Way, I journaled and journaled and journaled and journaled. I have at least 14(?) "books" I've written, penned in shorthand and longhand.

For five years before I left The Way, I sat with a mental health therapist, one a psychologist and then another with their masters in counseling. I'd often read aloud from my journals.

All three activities led to me eventually leaving The Way: reading, journaling, therapy.

Which were most influential? I do not know. Cognitive behavioral therapy approaches were a main help in learning to think more objectively. Learning about emotional and verbal abuse (and then recognizing that such was used in The Way) was a main contributor.

If anyone reads my health story, they will learn how I turned to journaling, why I devoured books, and why I sought help from a psychologist.

None of the reasons (on the surface) had anything to do with my involvement with The Way.

The reasons had everything to do with chronic illness, which I learned was in large part (for me) due to my emotional health. I then discovered that my emotional and mental health was, at least partly and I surmise a main part, due to Way indoctrination and the suppression of my own heart in order to conform to what I had indoctrinated myself to believe.

These discoveries all helped me exit The Way. Helped me to again get in touch with my heart. Helped me to see more clearly.

None of these discoveries had anything to do with "cult-recovery" from anyone in the cult-recovery field nor from reading anything in regard to "cult-recovery." I never sought professional cult-recovery help until after harmful experiences within an anti-Way group which I jumped into after leaving The Way. (My experience with the "cult-recovery" counselor ended up one of the most emotionally harmful experiences I've had. My experiences with the other mental health counselors whom I mention in my fourth paragraph above have been and still are helpful, not harmful.)

A year or so before I left The Way, I lived with a vast large hole in my soul. Almost every morning I'd awake crying. This vast dearth of life in my soul was a major theme in my journaling at that time.

After leaving The Way and getting some footing, I came to the conclusion that the emptiness (at least in part) was a result of trying to live with a standard of indoctrination that I no longer believed, but felt obligated to.

My catalyst to finally make the exit from The Way was a statement my then 15-year old son made to me. Prior to his statement, I was already prepared to leave; I'd been doing homework trying to decide who I could trust if I ever made the move to step outside my 28-year loyalty to The Way, outside the one place I had believed for decades that taught the unadulterated "truth."

Lately, I've felt a similar emptiness inside that I experienced before I left The Way. The current emptiness is not near as large as what I experienced back in 2004, a year before I left The Way in 2005. I've pondered as to why the current emptiness? Have I been trying to live by a standard that I no longer believe? Have I again gotten away from my heart? If so, how did that happen? Where is my heart now? Has the area of "cult-recovery" which I became involved with (on a small scale) had similar outcomes as my involvement in The Way?

The current emptiness is a small hole. God forbid I allow it to grow large.

***************

Part of what prompted the above blog post is a review written by Monica Pignotti, PhD, of the film Martha Marcy May Marlene: Martha Marcy May Marlene: An Echo of Therapy Myths?

Two statements by Pignotti that really caught my attention are: "Confusion and struggling to make sense of unusual experiences is part of the human condition, not a mental disorder." And, "This brings us to an even larger issue, which is the medicalization and pathologizing of human experience and suffering."

***************

10 comments:

April Galamin said...

There has to be something to being emotionally abused that sucks the life from our souls.

I know I've had my time with what you call the "vast dearth of life". I felt like I was being slowly killed in the cult. I realized if I stayed, my spirit would die. It was horrible, because the pastor rebuked me that leaving would probably make God terribly angry at me....

So I thought.. If I stay, I die a slow death of having the life sucked out of me, (I see the image of the Dementors on Harry Potter sucking the life out of a person). OTOH, If I leave...maybe there's a chance that God isn't the way the pastor thinks "God" is, maybe "God" would honor my choice to leave something that I no longer agreed with. In leaving, I still had a chance that just maybe, I might be able to FEEL & actually live free again in this life.

It hurts bad enough when you escape a cult..then to being abused yet again in searching for HELP after the cult....I'm sure that is painful :(

FWIW I think you are an awesome human being. :)
You aren't alone, just wanted you to know that too. LOVE XXOO

oneperson said...

Thanks April!

You stated: "There has to be something to being emotionally abused that sucks the life from our souls."

Your line brings slavery to mind. And then that line from the US Declaration of Independence comes to mind: "..all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

There comes a point for a person or a people that the evils are no longer sufferable. It's like below the hole is a river flowing that eventually the hole reaches. The life sucker is faced at that point.

And the sucker doesn't seem to die easily. The suction wants to hold on and not let go.

And once out of the hole, it's the internalizing of the harms that makes it hard, I think...at least for me. If I just didn't care, it would be so much easier to just walk away.

As far as Knapp, I still shake my head in disbelief. Not a day goes by (yet) that I don't think about the scenarios that went down, the complexities of the relationship. Yet it is Knapp's lies that cause my head the most bafflement. And then his apparent nonchalance about the lies. How anyone (especially a so-called healer and activist regarding abuse) can do that is difficult (understatement) for me to grasp.

In an email Knapp wrote to me in mid-June, 2010, he stated: "I am so afraid I'm going to hurt a client or the field itself." The "field" he refers to is the cult-recovery field.

Prophetic.

I perhaps should have heeded caution then.

Love you too April. Thanks for putting up with my jibberish, some of which may not seem to make sense. I'm a bit more spacey these days. I look forward to a time when my confidence is more secure.

To life!

Atticus Finch said...

I've found that the trick to happiness and not feeling depressed is getting out and LIVING. Travel and exploring what everyone else is doing. Seeing the world and keeping my mind occupied.

I think sometimes we get bogged down in some sort of inwardly dwelling hump that we forget everything else in the world going on out there. Suddenly our petty problems and thoughts become not insignificant, but rather part of a larger system of events - that you want to be part of!

Get out there and explore. See the world and realize how many lives are being lived out there. None are perfect, all are different, and so unique that it just shows that anyone who claims their "way" is the best or only way is wrong.

I find myself saying "take a deep breath and open my eyes - look at all the beauty - and feel better about life."

oneperson said...

Hey Atticus,

Yes, I agree...to a point. Through my years of living with the companion of depression (sometimes very deep depression), two toolbox tools are distraction and gratitude. Depending on the cause of the depression and the severity at the time, those tools can help. Both can help perspective.

Other times, "nothing" seems to help, other than to put one heavy foot in front of the other and wade through the dark tunnel until the darkness passes reminding oneself that it will pass.

Thanks again.

To life!

oneperson said...

Thanks April for the private correspondence and link regarding the Dementors. I've posted the link below:

Dementors, Courage, and Making a Way


Great account. Thanks for sharing it!

And now I've learned a bit about Harry Potter too. ;D

Anonymous said...

Maybe just reading Tsalms, one or two a day might help ... perhaps it is a hole that you miss communing with your Heavenly Father daily? I have sure had those, and I remember a little needelework thing I saw oncd: If you don't feel close to God, guess who moved? I don't say this to judge, I hope you know that about me by now ... just a suggestion. Go to the Source for joy and deliverance ... try a version of Scription not the KJV so it doesn't have "Way" connections in your mind. Love you, my dear.
SP

oneperson said...

Hey SP...no judgement taken. :)

I too thought at one time (when leaving The Way) that the hole was a lack of fellowship...not so much with God as with the family of God. Then I saw that really the lack of fellowship was with my own heart, trying to be something I wasn't.

Psalms is one of the books I still read on an off-and-on basis. It's always been one of my favorite, along with the book of Hebrews. I read from the Amplified.

When my Explorer got stolen in mid-October, one of my favorite CDs was in the CD player. The CD is by various Christian artists singing various Psalms. Sadly, the CD got trashed. I still have the cover so I hope to find another one. (Note: Police found the Explorer the night of November 8. It's now all back in tact and I'm driving it again. Yay!)

You and I are way overdue for a sit-down meal. I haven't been toward Hickory in over a year. I do work a lot these days, so that's a good thing. I'm having to figure out how to take time off. I've learned business ownership is like having a baby. Ha! ;D

Love and hugs all around...

As always.... to life!

oneperson said...

I have to say that Hebrews used to be one of my favs of the Bible. I read a few chapters last night, and it was...distasteful. I just don't think I believe the whole blood atonement sacrifice anymore, that a loving God would require such.

April Galamin said...

ditto to that.....

oneperson said...

I got to thinking about blood sacrifice and recalled some viewpoints/scripture interpretations I've read elsewhere regarding blood sacrifice. One being that it wasn't God that required such, but man's interpretation of what man decided God required.

To me, the different interpretations of scripture can be confusing, reconciling various contradictory verses.

After I left The Way and was looking into other interpretations of scripture. One thing I wrestled with was the "God-breathed Word" and the concept that the Word of God was perfect when originally given.

Then I thought of the God-breathed man...that according to Genesis God breathed life into mankind. Obviously, mankind didn't end up perfect. So perhaps the same is true with the God-breathed scripture; it's not perfect either.

Anyway, following is a blog (if anyone is interested) that is a resource regarding thoughts and alternatives to the traditional interpretation of blood sacrifice. I know the blog author, Cindi, from a board where I posted for awhile.
Mercy Not Sacrifice


Here is the first post from Cindi's blog when she started it back in 2007:
The Great Misrepresentation

Here is a link to Cindi's blog posts where Rene Girard's theory(ies) is one of the subjects discussed:
Label: Girard