November 9, 2011

Trail Journal ~ 5/17/10 - 5/19/10

*************
5/17/2010

Grayson Highlands, VA, Massie Gap overnight parking to near Thomas Knob Shelter. 2.9 rugged miles. 45# pack. 4 hours.
Rain, off and on. Sixty degrees or so.
Wild ponies. About six thru-hikers. Loved it. I fell down once...haha.

I lie on my side in my tent. So why try to write straight across the page.
There, or rather here. This diagonal writing is much better.

A few thoughts tonight:
  ~I already miss Hubby. I love him so much but don't show him often enough.
  ~I'm thankful for Linda W. Had she not written me, I don't know if I'd be out from the controlling, godless indoctrination of The Way.
  ~Leaving a belief system is different from leaving a group.
  ~Alex. His tokens are buried not far from here. And now I hike with my son and I recall what Son said about the abortion.
______________

5/18/2010, Tuesday

7.5 - 8 miles. Don't know the hours.
Hiked from a beyond the north side of Thomas Knob to right beyond Buzzard Rock.

Got wearied. Son encouraged. We are sleeping on the side of a hill, kind of.

Missing Hubby a lot. Talked to him 2 times today. Yay!

Still foggy, cold, rainy. Breaks of sunlight.

Elk Garden is beautiful. 1000s of yellow suzies with yellow eyes. Hundreds or 1000s of dandelions.
_________________

5/19/2010, Wednesday

11 - 12 miles. 11 hours.
Buzzard Rock to Saunders Shelter.

My feet are sore!

I made up a jingle today. Quads, Hamstrings, Trekking Poles, and Hip Flexors. It helped me use the right muscles and helped my stride.

That man from Austria was around again today. We saw him yesterday at the base of Whitetop Mountain. Saw him 2X today. Can't recall the 1st place; 2nd place was the Virginia Creeper Trail.

Tonight we sleep on flat ground. Yay!

It didn't rain today but is raining now, off and on. It was a great day...with no rain. Please make it so tomorrow.

Thoughts:
  ~Grateful that I can feel pain
  ~Grateful I can walk
  ~Grateful I can smell
  ~Grateful I have arms that work

*************

No comments: