September 10, 2014

prompts or not

prompt or not: lovers
AWW ~ 09/10/14

***

Blank paper.
Blank screen.

What has bitten your tongue Carol?
What has stifled your voice?
Why do you allow it?

Is it a phase...this avoidance of writing, especially putting out anything of depth on my blog or anywhere online?

When I publish a piece on my blog or elsewhere, I don't want to explain the piece or feel that I should explain. I don't want to necessarily engage in discourse about what I might write.

Today as I felt my inner self-doubt gremlin, I closed my eyes and lay back on my and Hubby's bed. It's a king size, tube, water bed that is in much need of a new mattress shell. The current shell slumps toward the middle, so Hubby and I usually sleep on the far ends of the mattress where it is more level, less slumpy.

Hubby is usually the first to retire in the evenings, between nine and ten o'clock. I follow between ten o'clock and midnight. I seldom close my eyes right away. I usually turn on my night stand light and read from my smart phone or from a hard copy book, or I work Sudoku puzzles from a paperback book. Lately I've opted for Sudoku over reading. When I successfully complete a Sudoku puzzle, I draw a smiley face on the top of the puzzle page.

I wonder who created Sudoku; who figures out all those different puzzles?

Sometime in August, to try to help sharpen my brain, I pulled out my Sudoku book. And Sudoku may not really exercise my neurons, but it can't hurt. I enjoy playing, especially the "easy" puzzles. The number nine is a fascinating number; I think it is my favorite number. But it's not a prime number, and I like prime numbers.

Prime numbers stand alone.

Today as I felt my inner self-doubt gremlin, I lay on my bed, face toward the ceiling, my eyes closed. I focused on my heart area. Carol, can you somehow thank this self-doubt, this anxiety you feel? Thank it and ask what its purpose is?

Almost immediately, my mind's eye saw a young adolescent girl. Shivering. Alone. In the rain.

These internal images I get seem so stupid.
Quiet, Carol...just go with the image.
What would you do for a young girl, alone, in the rain...especially if it was someone you knew and loved?


In my mind's eye I gave a coat to the young, shivering girl, placing the coat around her shoulders. It was a long, dark coat, like a trench coat but not jet black. I wasn't sure as to what else to do for this young woman shivering in my heart.

The shivering was the most notable characteristic of the girl.

She wasn't shivering due to the cold; she was shivering because she was afraid.

My front doorbell rang. I continued to lay on my king size bed. Maybe it's UPS delivering a package, and they'll just go away.

I did not want to talk to anyone if I could help it.

Then I heard banging on the front door.
Knock!
Knock!
Knock, knock, knock!

I got up and walked across the hall into my son's bedroom, though my son doesn't permanently reside there anymore. I walked over to the window and peeked through the closed blinds looking across the front yard and out to the street where a big, white, flat bed, delivery truck was parked. There was a large box at the back of the truck. A man walked through our front yard away from our home and to the back of the truck, stopping to look at the large box, and then walked around the opposite side of the truck and climbed into the driver's seat.

Inside the house, I walked back across the hall to my bedroom. With a sigh, I strapped my black, Teva sandals onto my feet.

I walked through the upstairs hall noticing the tenderness in the soles of my feet reminding myself of my new normal. I held the banisters as I carefully descended the two sets of stairs. Once on the ground level, I walked though the den and through the office and through the laundry room and through the garage to the driveway. I walked down the driveway toward the truck. The driver was on his cell phone, talking, as he got out of the truck to meet me in the driveway.

He was delivering a mattress, and our address was written on his delivery slip. But neither Hubby nor I had ordered a mattress.

I really should buy us a new mattress soon.

6 comments:

Anna Maria said...

Love it! Even when you write about not feeling like writing it's good Carol. I love your intriguing imagination! I was once sleeping on a friends water mattress that started leaking and woke up thinking I was drowning so I don't do those anymore. :) How is the vapor doing for you as far as the pain goes? Do you think it helps? I haven't lately but it sure relaxes me and helps me sleep better when I'm having an episode of arthritis inflammation...though I don't think it would help me with Sudoku...I can't even do most of those when I'm stone cold sober. :)

Zoe said...

Will you get another water bed Carol? I remember in the 90's my then doctor told me to get off my water bed and if I couldn't to unplug it. He was concerned about the electrical current/magnetic stuff (there's that word again) and it's effects on my health. The one think I liked about it was that it was heated. We did eventually part with the bed and our son's bed due to concerns. Today though I think we're all pretty inundated with electrical and magnetic currents that may or may not be a problem health wise.

I relate to the practice of "staying with it" and then thinking "this is stupid."

oneperson said...

Thanks Anna!

The new "medicine" does bring relief...not pain free or symptom free...but relief.

*chuckle* regarding the water bed and the Sudoku. :-)

oneperson said...

I somewhat regularly think about all the technology that is floating through the airwaves and wonder if and how much if effects us...unknowingly.

Our water bed isn't a regular waterbed. It's a tube-waterbed and looks like a non-water bed and uses the same sheets as non-water beds.

Ten tubes are filled with water and lay in a frame that is on top of the box spring (or in the case of a king size bed, plural - box springs). A shell (my term) fits on top of and around the frame that holds the tubes of water. The top of the shell feels like a regular non-water bed mattress - sculpted with those tiny little pillow bumps.

Probably a link to photos will explain it better. ;)
http://tinyurl.com/kx83uhc

All that to say, there is no heat or electricity needed or involved with a tube waterbed.

We've had this bed and mattress for over 20 years. (yuck...I mean we really need a new shell) In all that time and all its moves (seven moves)...only one tube has busted.

After typing this...I'm almost sure I'll buy a new shell for this one instead of going with a non-waterbed. But the company that made this one has gone out of business. As I've looked online, the design has also changed...so I just need to make sure that whatever I get will fit what we have. I need to go to a local waterbed store and lay around and let a trusty sales person know my needs. I like the feel of the bed and it has served us well.

I'm glad to know others can relate to "staying with it" and thinking "this is stupid." Not that I want us to go around thinking we are doing stupid things...rather...that I'm not alone in it. Ha.





I may end up buying a mattress shell for our current bed. It's just that they are so expensive, but maybe no more than buying a different kind of good mattress.


oneperson said...

I should have proofed my comment! *chuckle*

I thought I had deleted that last misplaced paragraph. ;)

Zoe said...

Sounds like a neat bed, water tubes. Interesting.

Nope, you don't get to be alone "in it." :)