February 14, 2011

Rereading Me

*********************

Technology. An ever evolving entity, sometimes monstrous and overwhelming. A behemoth, that if we don't regulate in our lives, can swallow us in its gadgetry and information overload. We can become a cog in the machinery; or rather, a byte in the architecture.

I utilize a statistics tracker on my blogs. I don't pay for the service, and after 500 hits I have to start the tracking process over. Thus losing the previous tracking information. I could pay and upgrade to accomodate more than 500 hits. I could figure out how to install a different type of free tracker which might track more hits; but the information isn't valuable enough for me to spend bucks on, and I don't feel like learning how to install something different. I'm happy to simply adjust my tracker to 0 at 500 hits and start again. (I can look up all-time total hits on my Wordpress blogs.)

I typically check my stats daily. It's interesting to see how visitors arrive at my blogs, the odd searches that lead to certain entries.

Sometimes, upon checking my stats and seeing what a visitor has read, I'll click on that same entry and reread what I wrote in the past. It's fun. Plus, I get to correct in typos I happen to see.

To reread entries is similar to reading a journal. After all that is how blogs got started. When I read some of my older entries, it is a reminder. "Re-mind-er"....to mind again, which makes me think of to "care" again and to "mine" again. "Mine," like a diamond or ruby or coal miner. And also "mine," like in me, my self, and "mine."

I've been known to then post these re-found entries onto a discussion forum or similar community-type online venue. "Re-found"....to found again. "Found" like in "start." Which is literally what happens when I copy and paste my entry from here onto an online discussion forum - I "start" a new topic. It might get discussed and it might not.

Technology, that ever evolving microscopic macrocosm. Microscopic as in tiny bytes relaying amorphous soul bits - that is our thoughts. Macrocosm as in universal - the ability of a tiny chip to hold vast amounts of information and to even be able to communicate it using giant geometric bodies in orbit around our earth.

To me, one being almost clueless as to how the world wide web works, it seems that a day will come then the internet crashes. That at some point the capacity will be saturated. Or perhaps technological weapons will simply destroy satellite systems and we will again have to use wood to heat the water.

Our water heater broke last night. Really it did. The floor got quite wet. Today, I'll shower at the neighbor's house or take a super quick shower at home.

Tonight man versing IBM's computer, Watson, can be viewed on the Jeopardy game show. I wonder who wins?

I think it will be Watson.

*****************************

No comments: