May 21, 2011

Miles

aww ~ 5/28/11
non-subject: childhood memories
*************

Where does childhood stop and adulthood begin? I guess there is the in-between stage of adolescence. But adolescence is still childhood.

What are my fondest memories of childhood? I've asked myself that question before, more than once. I've written about fond memories.

What of unfond ones?

Fond. Unfond.

By itself a memory is neutral, at least the facts. It's the emotional memory that makes that which is remembered fond or unfond.

I've often stated I remember emotions more than I remember an exact event. I can remember how I felt at the time certain happenings took place, but I may not recall the fine details. When I do recall fine details, those memories seem strikingly clear.

But only in my memory.

I wonder about some of my recurring sleep dreams - the house dreams and the one dream about a mountain pass. The mountain dream takes place in what feels like the area of Spruce Pine, North Carolina, and at the same time right outside of Cherokee, and not far from Roan Mountain. In non-dream life, these places are at least an hour to three hours drive from each other.

But not in my dreams.

The mountain pass is also accessible by going north on Highway 127 out of Hickory, driving through Bethlehem, and then heading west to take the back country roads toward Granite Falls.

In non-dream life Roan Mountain, Spruce Pine, Cherokee, Granite Falls, Hickory, Bethlehem - all are connected via roads but a person can't see from one side across a pass to the other side...like in my dream.

In non-dream life, all these places are a part of my childhood. That is my childhood that includes my adolescent years.

In my sleep-dream and non-dream life, Ron is a recurring theme in all these places and times.

Ron is the boyfriend with whom I overdosed on Jimson seed. We used to make love in a meadow by a creek off one of the back roads between Bethlehem and Granite Falls.

We did a lot of things on those back roads. Amazing we didn't kill ourselves in the process.
******************

No comments: