December 12, 2014

I wonder if I had monkey feet....

Last weekend....

I lie in bed.
On my back.
Arms by my side.
Eyes closed.

My arms begin to drift into the much-desired, temporary relief - an internal low vibrational whisper, like a light massage to my nerve vessels.
My arms begin to feel less heavy and less inflamed.
The medicinal herb is again working its magic.

I open my eyes and observe my hands as I hold them in the air above my chest.
I slowly move my fingers one at a time, touching each finger-tip to the corresponding thumb-tip.
I close my fingers attempting fists but not quite succeeding.
Still, my fingers are more flexible than fifteen minutes ago.
The pain upon straightening out my hands is a bit less too.

My thoughts drift, as I think about my limbs - present and future.

Why have my arms and hands been so exasperated this past week? 
I must have done too much with my hands. 
But it's not "too much" for someone with normal limb function. 
I don't know if I can make it until January 5. 
I guess I can call and move up my appointment. 
I just have to decide if the benefits of moving up the steroid injections outweigh the side effects. 
The side effects were evident in my recent tests at my physical.

I close my eyes.
I slowly inhale.
I slowly exhale.
The relief is welcome.
My thoughts drift.

My feet have been worse too, but not as bad as my arms and hands. 
I wonder if my feet would be ailing more if I had to bend them and use my toes the way I use my hands and fingers, like how a monkey has to use his feet?
I wonder if I was a monkey, if my feet would be in as bad a shape as my hands right now?
I wonder if I was a monkey, if the nerve damage would affect my tail? 
That'd be awful, if it disabled my prehensile tail.
Good thing I'm not a monkey.

I chuckle.

I have a new description for the tingling pins-and-needles type feeling that sometimes comes around.
My fingers sometimes feel like tiny little electric worms are wiggling and sparking.

My mind sees the tiny life forms, all colors of the rainbow like tiny little gummy worms, squirming and producing little electric sparks.
They look so bright and cheerful, all in my fingertips.

Another chuckle.

Now how can I better describe the bamboo or hollow metal feeling in my forearms where my radius bones are? 
It feels more like bamboo than hollow metal - strong yet flexible. 
Tiny little Mario men strap themselves with heavy duty ropes on opposite sides of the bamboo reed in each forearm. 
Each little mustached man in his colorful overalls and cap with knees slightly bent, presses his feet against his side of the bamboo reed as he holds onto his sturdy rope and leans backward straightening his back and then relaxing.
Each side of the bamboo has a row of tiny Marios pushing and pulling. 
That's what my forearms feel like. 
Must be all the inflamed nerve tissue trying to find space in there.


....I don't recall now if I went to sleep after my thought-drifting or if I sat up in bed and played Sudoku.






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me thinks the herb makes you quite descriptive. *grin*

You have this ability to make my cry and laugh all in one post. :)

Something I relate to, the worms, only I never called them worms. I've described it as ants or crawl daddy's under my skin minus the rainbow.

Well we do have our coccyx, our tail and it is often ignored but is an important part of our wellbeing too. But yes, we don't need it for swinging anymore. ;)

And the whole Mario bamboo arm thing. Makes me want to try the herb.

(((gentle hugs)))

oneperson said...

Big gin. :)

Thank you Zoe!

It's been a rough weekend. :-( I'm calling the neurologist tomorrow to move my injections date up a couple weeks to the week of 12/22. Hopefully there is an opening.

The sun is shining today. I look forward to its warmth through the chilly air. :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you can get an appointment sooner than later.

It is so mild here. We've had this fog for a few days, kind of misty, heavy cloud but so much nicer than snow. I actually prefer moisture, I just seem to move easier. We put some multi-coloured solar lights on a fence in our backyard for the season and I didn't think they'd even light up due to such cloud cover but they seemed to get enough sun to shine. :-) I hope you were able to co-opt a bit of the warmth from the great fire ball.

oneperson said...

What a beautiful image you have sketched upon my mind's eye canvas...the solar lights.
You may have read where I previously shared that Son is going to Iceland in summer, 2015. Already bought his ticket...along with a buddy. They are gonna backpack and hitchhike for 6ish weeks. They'll have some long hours of daylight but I guess will miss seeing any Northern lights.

Well, so far....it's not looking good...no openings with Doc. But I am waiting for them to call back. If no-openings ends up a for-sure, I'll have to do a heightened burst with my daily pred. :-/ There is no way I can continue as is for 3 weeks and keep my sanity. Uugh. Sigh. Big frowny face.

Now....back to the image of those magical solar lights....

Thanks again Zoe.
<3

oneperson said...

Hey Zoe...

If you happen to catch this before you hit the road... I was not able to move up my appointment. And I decided to not increase the roids. So...I'm hanging in there. Just wanted to let you know and not leave it hanging. I'm still scheduled to receive my injections on Mon, 1/05, which is my original appointment. Thanks again! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling the benefits by now. (((hugs)))

oneperson said...

Thanks Zoe!
Affirmative! :)
<3