March 21, 2013

Journal Entry: February 15, 2013

From the pages of my journal
February 15, 2013

***********

My juice and smoothie fast was successful. I guess I went about 25 days. My relationship with food is more intimate and conscious.

Today I hiked a bit over five miles along the Castle Rock Gorge trail off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. It was a good, needed hike.

Nary a car was heard on the Parkway and I saw only two hikers on the trail.

After my hike, I thought about stopping at Meadows of Dan at the general store and enjoying pinto beans with corn bread and slaw.

But, as I drove my 1999 Ford Explorer south on the Parkway listening to Yes, I passed by the road that leads to Chateau Morrisette, the vineyards and the restaurant.

Hmm. I wonder if the Chateau is open. That would be nice, some fine dining. Pintos would be nice too...but the Chateau? That would be extra special.

I turned my steering wheel to the east and took a uuie on the Parkway circling back and around onto the side road that leads to the Chateau. I drove the quarter mile down the road and pulled into the gravel parking lot on the right. I saw cars.

Oh boy. Maybe it is open.

I parked my truck and donned my brand new, natural fiber, jewel tone scarf and my purple Company Store down vest. I walked across the gravel lot and through the stately doors. There stood a young lady.

"Are you open?" I inquired.

"Yes we are," she responded with a smile.

"Wonderful. I'll be right back!" I responded with a smile.

Instead of pintos and cornbread and slaw, I ate a scrumptious portabella mushroom with spring greens salad, some veggie and chicken broth, and drank a variety of wines. The red wine aroma was out of this world.

As I chewed the food and drank the broth, I savored every morsel.
I thought about the hands that had harvested the greens.
I thought about the chicken that had given her life.

I drank the apple wine and envisioned the blossoms of the apple tree and the bees that buzz and pollinate.
When I switched to red wine, I recalled the Europeans who first sailed the Atlantic and came upon the North Carolina coast in the 1500s and were overtaken by the aroma of grapes confirming that they were near land.

It was a good day today on the Parkway.

***********

2 comments:

Anna Maria said...

What a fun Post Carol! Happy you had a good fast, a nice hike, and great food and wine.I'm sure I've already gained five pounds from my luscious strawberry birthday cheesecake and now you have me craving pinto beans and cornbread.

I have a friend who used to fuss at me when I did worry about a little extra weight. She was rather rotund and claimed..."I'm going to stay chubby in case I get cancer...maybe I'll linger longer."...but then she had to have a four way bypass. Guess I'll skip the beans and cornbread on second thought. The kids are throwing me a party tomorrow and I won't be able to resist again...I'm sure.

oneperson said...

Thank you Anna!

And Happy Birthday!!! You rock lady and are getting younger every year. ;)

Uugh about the quadruple by-pass. I hope it helped your friend.

BTW, are you on FB? Here is my FB page..iffin' you are and we can connect there too. :)
https://www.facebook.com/poetrypiper