November 15, 2013

Meandering Orbits

Since the incidents beginning in 2010 with my former cult-recovery therapist, John Knapp, I have changed...not necessarily for the better. I trust myself less (again); I trust others (especially strangers) less. I endeavor to glean the lessons learned from the Knapp encounters and from Knapp's attempted public smearing of my character. I have questioned whether or not I deserved Knapp's wrath filled with falsehoods; after all, I brought it upon myself by coming forward. But, I didn't lie. Knapp outright lied making up fantasies.

I wonder if I will ever blow another whistle if I am in a position to do so? I've paid a personal price with the little whistle I blew regarding Knapp. About the only reasons I find worth that price are the couple other ex-clients who have come out of the woodwork since latter 2011. Recently in a phone conversation, a friend who is an activist regarding mental health practitioner abuse, stated, "Carol, it wasn't a small thing. Just think how many people you stopped from being injured by that man." Well, maybe.

Yet, the ordeal (as small as it was/is) has had a dampening affect on me that I've found hard to shake off.

Changed. It's not just what happened with Knapp; there are also the unpleasant incidents with health professionals in 2012 and 2013, and then I question if I am the problem. Do I not communicate well? But then, I've read story after story of others with peripheral neuropathy who have gone through similar (and much worse) medical roller coasters trying to get a proper diagnosis and help. I'm fortunate that I found a good neurologist (at least so far) after only one who turned me away telling me I didn't have nerve damage sending me out his door in pain with no remedy and suggesting I might want to try acupuncture. I hit bottom at that point...BAM! The event did catalyze some creative ways to maneuver the circumstances...and I did maneuver.

Then there was the incident with a cat, when I misread the cat's insulin syringe and he died. How could I be so stupid? My heart still droops and my head hangs in shame. I handled it as best I could; I owned my error and I did all I could to save his life.

For decades I have struggled with thinking I'm unintelligent. I've struggled with self-confidence. Yet, when I have mentioned this to others, they've been surprised. The responses are that I come across self-assured and they would never have thought I had such doubts about myself. I used to think everyone had such doubts. I've since learned that isn't so.

These days, I'm much less open than I once was, less likely to wear my heart on my sleeve. I find myself avoiding close relationships with others. I'm tired. Maybe it's part of aging. Perhaps I've grown relationship lazy.

I've wondered if I prefer,for the most part, the company of dogs and cats and trees and plants rather than people because there are no facades with the four-legged and leaved; there is nothing to prove. I don't feel the perceived need to explain myself for whatever season or reason.

Two great equalizers that help me through the storms of self-doubt are gratitude and paying life forward. They take my focus off my own vulnerabilities and onto a wider horizon of humanity and history. Surely the small deeds appropriated in the quiet of our hearts and closets have an impact that reverberates, however small.

2 comments:

... Zoe ~ said...

My first thought is, 'That was no small whistle you blew.' The thing is, others will reap the rewards (stay away from Knapp) . . . you though were injured by him and his lies leave a perpetual injury. No reward for you. I know a part of you inside your fatigue and pain knows your whistle blowing helped someone out there avoid Knapp. But the price you paid does seem high and now you do suffer for it. I wonder though oneperson if you wouldn't suffer just as much if you hadn't blown the whistle? We can't know because that wasn't the path you took but as one who should have blown a whistle or two, I am left with regret that I did not. *sigh*

The whole "health professionals" thing . . . egaads I get that. Cute story. Years ago I had a "nerve stimulator" placed inside my rectum. Oh do I have stories. Okay. Just this one. A few weeks later I went back for my results. Other tests were done at the time too. Anyway, this nerve thingy up my bum, well, the doctor (a gastroenterologist) says to me: "You failed the test." Okay, so far so good, I'm not surprised. I'm having problems down there, failing the test is to be expected. Then he follows it up by telling me that I had too much feeling down there and in fact my nerves were hyper-sensitive. I failed the test because my nerves were working! Irony applause please. Rats. If only I had failed. (inserts a rolling their eyes emoticon in here)

I know I prefer nature. I'd rather talk with the squirrels than my neighbours. For me personally I think my brain has told me to pull back from life to protect me. I'm at the place of gently reteaching it that pulling back at one time was excellent and thank you brain for taking care of that for me, but now, I need to take baby steps and get comfortable again with . . . life.

And I think there are no "small deeds" just as there are no "little" whistles.

oneperson said...

Thanks Zoe. <3

On my regarding the nerve stimulator. Your story makes me wince and almost simultaneously chuckle as I put the scenario into a Seinfeld episode.

Regarding whistles...when I step outside my self-abating critique, I know my speaking up wasn't a small whistle. Interesting how I wouldn't say/think that about someone else, but I minimize my own deed(s). I'm not sure where my inner critic comes from. I don't know if it really matters where it comes from, but rather that I recognize it and endeavor to give it its proper place. I realize we all (or at least most) have an inner critic.

A couple days ago I was reading the symptom list for C-PTSD. I pretty much match the pattern. Not sure if I'll ever overcome the pattern, but I can continue to regulate it.

I hear you in regard to the consequences of to speak up or not to speak up. I felt I couldn't live with myself if I didn't speak up. But, I never imagined the scenario would end up where it did.

You stated: "And I think there are no "small deeds" just as there are no "little" whistles."

Thanks for that. Some deeds and whistles just get more publicity/attention than others, but that doesn't make them small or little.

<3