August 16, 2016

...Random thoughts...

..Maybe angels aren't people with wings or large creatures that fly. Maybe angels look like tiny lady bugs and it takes a whole bunch of them to move things around.  I wonder why angels are always conceived with the ability to fly?...

***
...I doubt statistically that the world is any more evil now than before. But there are more people, so there is more evil. Tools have changed. Greed -- that hasn't changed. This is the way it is and always has been. There's just more of it now, because there are more people...

...Predator and prey. That is a reality. Always has been; always will be. I cannot change that. But I know there are many good people in this world who live honestly and endeavor to do the right thing. And really, that's all we can do to effect balance. But I don't think it's possible to really "change" the world...

"..more people, more scars upon the land..." Words from John Denver, Rocky Mountain High. For years when I would hear those words I'd think, "People aren't scars." And then my mind would recall the image of that ugly high rise atop Sugar Top Mountain. "That's a scar." ...

***
I've been watching mindless television lately and have completely enjoyed it -- shows and movies from the '50, 60's, 70's, and 80's.

I found myself laughing as I watched Barney Miller.
One episode.
Two episodes.
Into the third episode. Where are the women? There are no women on this show? Kind of sexist. 
Women did appear as I continued to watch a few more episodes; but still there were very few female appearances. 
The show kinda lost it's appeal for me after that.

In an episode of Rawhide, I heard Barbara Eden say, "...an army of genies..." I wish I could have rewound it, just to make sure my ears weren't tricking me.

I like looking at the sets; they are so simple.

I have more thoughts on these old shows from the last half of the previous century.
I guess they aren't so mindless after all.

But I've reached my composition limit, for now.

***

I found a homemade clip from one of the Johnny Carson episodes I recently watched. The first 1-1/2 minutes is about the the then-new "pocket phone." I don't know what year this aired.



***

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those old shows, too. My favorite channel is called METV ... you can check it out online at metv.com ...It has two nightly episodes of Hogan's Heroes, once a week Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward ... and lots of other mindless stuff. Oddly relaxing.

SP

Denise said...

Oh gosh, I got to see Irene Dunne in The White Cliffs of Dover again on Sunday morning. She was such a fantastic actress. I love your musings. Funny about what Barbara Eden said or you thought she said.

oneperson said...

METV is one the stations I watch too.
It is "oddly relaxing." Great way to describe it.
Though earlier this morning I thought that maybe it's just "mind-numbing," lulling me into complacency...

Then I thought, "I really don't care right now. Maybe I need some mind-numbing." :D

oneperson said...

I had to google Irene Dunne. I'll keep an eye out for her while I convalesce after surgery, watching these old shows. :D

Musings. Glad you can relate. :) they are kind of like doodling.

I did a quick google search when I was watching that Rawhide episode and discovered that it aired before the I Dream of Jeannie series was released.

So...I just now googled searched (taking the time to actually read a bit more)...and here is a trivia tidbit about that Rawhide episode (which Bewitched character Darrin Stephens played a part too; which I also found amusing):

"Barbara Eden performs a pre-I Dream of Jeannie (1965) harem dance while performing with Dick York the husband of the rival fantasy situation comedy Bewitched (1964). Both shows were made by the same company, Columbia Pictures, and used many of the same plot devices making the writers feel they were being stolen by the other show." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0682993/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

I missed seeing the harem dance. Must've been in the kitchen, or something.

The name of the Rawhide episode is "Incident at Confidence Creek," and it first aired 11/29/1963.

:)

Denise said...

Yeah, those old ones are funny sometimes. I was watching an episode of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans shot a villainess (who stole money) in the arm and said,"That'll be all from you, Mrs. Clinton." LOL!!!

oneperson said...

Lol!

That's timely! :D

Alice said...

I also agree that the world is not more evil, just MORE.

oneperson said...

Hey Alice!

Good to see you. :)

I like the way you said that -- its "...just MORE."