May 20, 2020

Why would anyone join a cult: Scene Four

Project in process...
To read Scene One, click here.

~*~
Why would anyone join a cult?
Scene Four


The term Charismatic refers not to a denomination, but rather a movement within Christianity which teaches that the nine so-called "gifts of the spirit" listed in I Corinthians, Chapter 12 of the Bible, are still in use in the modern Church, and that these so-called gifts are separately given by God to individual believers as God so chooses. The English word for "gifts" in I Corinthians 12 is translated from the Greek word charismata. Speaking in tongues, also called "praying in the spirit," is the dominant "gift," but not all Charismatics speak in tongues. The other eight "gifts" are interpretation of tongues, prophecy, word of knowledge, word of wisdom, discerning of spirits, faith, miracles, and healings. In some Charismatic gatherings, believers also dance and laugh and "get slain" in the spirit. The term "spirit-filled," indicates that a believer has received the "gift of tongues" and is open to God controlling her/his life.

I chose a college in a community with Charismatic, spirit-filled, connections - Montreat-Anderson near Black Mountain, North Carolina - in the heart of Billy Graham country. It was a two-year college at the time. I thought that after graduation, to further my studies, I'd attend Wheaton College, an Evangelical Protestant school in Illinois. During my few months at Montreat, I faithfully attended the on-campus, non-Charismatic Presbyterian Church and off-campus Charismatic meetings in the local vicinity.

I became friends with a small group of five other students - Matt, Shirley, Joy, Phillip, and Scott - all spirit-filled and "older in Christ" than I. Matt, lean and tall, was the leader. We'd gather for our own private prayer meetings allowing others to attend only if they too were spirit-filled, or at least open to the idea.

At our tiny gatherings we would "pray the holy spirit into" our meetings. With our eyes closed and arms raised, the palms of our hands lifted toward the heavens, our bodies often swaying, we'd spontaneously begin to sing in tongues or speak in tongues. Some in a whisper; others more vocal. I was a whisperer.

At any time, someone might speak in English interpreting another's message in tongues. Sometimes we might all begin to "laugh in the spirit" - big, hilarious belly laughs. One of us might pray aloud in English, making our petitions known, thanking Jesus and the Father. Sometimes a couple worshippers would get "slain in the spirit," collapsing to the floor. I never did interpret, nor get slain in the spirit. During one of our small gatherings I had to leave because I felt like I was on a bad psychedelic trip; I felt paranoid and dirty.

Montreat-Anderson's on-campus Presbyterian Church would invite well-known Christian leaders to speak. Montreat was a small college, so students were able to easily meet and interact with guest speakers. Jackie Buckingham was one of those guests. She and her husband, Jamie, were personal friends with Nicky Cruz. Jamie was the co-author of Nicky's book, Run Baby Run. As Jackie shared some of the miracle stories, my heart burned within me longing to know God and His power like she described.

Another guest was Ruth Graham, the Reverend Billy Graham's wife. On one of her visits she held a small gathering in the girl's dorm. I was one of around twenty girls who attended. We met in an informal living room setting attired with a few upholstered chairs for seating with the rest of us sitting cross-legged on the floor. It was comfortable, warm, inviting. I asked Mrs. Graham questions about speaking in tongues and gifts of the spirit. Her answer was that she simply didn't know the answers. I thought to myself, If Ruth Graham doesn't know, who does?

I was not finding satisfactory answers to my questions. And the same insecurities and shame that I had experienced previously in the Baptist Church began again to haunt me.

During this time is when I found The Way International. It was September, 1977.

I was still eighteen years old.

~*~

Click here for Scene Five.



No comments: