August 29, 2020

Word Over the World: Scene Four

Project in process...
To read Scene Oneclick here.

~*~

In September 1979, at 20 years old, I entered in-residence training with the 10th Way Corps at The Way College of Emporia in Kansas. Though outreach was part of the Corps' "lifetime commitment to Christian service," the Way Corps program was not an outreach program like WOW. It was The Way's "leadership training program;" only Way believers with natural leadership ability were to apply. 


Before entering in-residence training, a Corps candidate had to complete the Power for Abundant Living Class series: the PFAL Foundational Class, the PFAL Intermediate Class, and the PFAL Advanced Class. In order to complete that series, a believer had to complete The Way's Advanced Study Courses which included The Renewed MindThe Way TreeWitnessing and UndershepherdingChristian Family and SexBasic Keys to Research, and Dealing with the Adversary.

Way Corps training consisted of four years: a first-year apprenticeship, when a trainee served closely with Way Corps on the field or at a Root Locale; a second year in-residence at Way Root Locales; a third year as an interim year, when the trainee served wherever assigned by The Way; and a fourth year back in-residence at Way Root Locales. The in-residence years were work/study programs; trainees helped maintain the campuses while taking courses which were mostly taught by Way Corps. Training was financed via funds solicited by the Way Corps trainee. Those who funded the trainee were called "Spiritual Partners" and agreed to a monthly, or other, financial donation. The Way Corps trainee was to daily pray for and to monthly write to each Spiritual Partner.

Through my Corps years I spent time at three Root Locales: Kansas, Indiana, and Ohio. I spent a couple weeks in New Mexico at The Way's LEAD Outdoor Academy. LEAD stood for Leadership, Education, Adventure, and Direction. It was The Way's wilderness, rock climbing program which I thoroughly enjoyed. I did not spend any Corps time at The Way's Root Locale in Gunnison, Colorado. 

Along with the work/study program the in-residence training years included a few outreach exercises. "Witnessing days" were held at random; trainees would go out in their Root Locale communities and "speak the Word," to find those "hungering and thirsting after righteousness. Once a year in-resident trainees served as Lightbearers: a two-week assignment when trainees lived on the field with Way believers and endeavored to recruit enough new people for the area to run a PFAL Foundational Class

Hitchhiking was another requirement; trainees were to witness to those who gave them rides and were to "believe God" to arrive at assigned destinations within given time frames. 

I hitchhiked over four thousand miles while in The Way Corps. On one of my hitchhiking assignments, from Kansas to New Mexico, my partner and I did not arrive in the allotted time; we were four minutes late. Our "believing" wasn't "big enough;" somewhere in route, we "must have missed it." ("It" being God's direction, either by inspiration or revelation.) Otherwise, we would have met the deadline. We had to turn right around and hitchhike back to Kansas. 

I have fond memories of my in-resident training and felt I thrived there. Even though our lives were scheduled for us, and we seldom had to think about choices of how to fill our time, I found it challenging, absorbing, and fun.

I was in a cocoon, temporarily protected from the unbelieving world, so that I could grow and hone my skills. I was a willing participant and mostly obedient follower. I felt and thought I was where I was supposed to be -- learning how to do things right so that I could best serve God's people.  I believed, and still believe, that is why most followers entered The Way Corps -- to serve.

~*~

Scene Five, on hold...

~*~

No comments: