December 31, 2023

Rolling by...

Yesterday I was driving home from my daughter's and needed to potty. Parks are my regular go-to for potty breaks, if I find a park in time. Thing is, around here, once the seasons have turned cold, park bathrooms are usually locked. Often a port-a-john or two are placed at the park since bathrooms are locked. But that's not always the case. 
(Like the time in Damascus, VA, when I had to go bad. I got to the park, grabbed some tissue in case there wasn't any in the bathroom or in case the bathroom was locked. It was locked. I saw a bridge that is part of the Creeper Trail. It had a good enough cover. I've had enough practice peeing in public covert places.)

I pulled into the park; it is a huge park. One I'd never visited before. I drove around looking for a port-a-john. I saw a couple buildings that probably had bathrooms, but would they be locked? It wasn't worth getting out of Edward the Explorer to find out.

Some walkers were near one the playgrounds. I stopped and rolled down my window, "Hi. Do y'all happen to know where there might be a bathroom or port-a-john?" 

"We wish," responded one couple. 

Then a man standing near the couple came over, "If you drive down to the Field of Honor, there's a building there with bathrooms."

"Thank you! Happy New Year!" I responded. But I was thinking, Will it be unlocked? *sigh*

I drive around that parking lot out to the park road and follow the signs to the Field of Honor, scanning the woods for places to relieve myself if the building is locked. Maybe, since the Field of Honor is a military memorial, maybe the bathrooms stay open all the time.

I find the Field, its USA flags flying high blowing in the breeze. I drive looking for a building. I see one. It's right near the handicap parking. I pull into the handicap space and sit for a moment in Edward. I see two people walk out of the building. 

Yay! They're open.

I make my way as quickly as possible to the relief station. A ways across a field (but not the Field of Honor) a gathering of maybe 100 people are celebrating. Music is streaming through the speakers. Kids are playing pick-up soccer. Food is being grilled. 

I asked a lady in the bathroom what they were celebrating. She responded with a smile and Latino accent, "Pre-New Year's Eve!" 

After I walk out of the bathroom, a soccer ball comes my way. It makes me smile. I gently kick it a few yards back into the field. A young person runs over to get it. We exchange a couple dance moves to the music, and I ask, "Where is the dancing?" The young man points over to the shelter where folks are gathered. 

I can't see anyone dancing. It's a bit of a walk. But I have my trekking poles and the sun is shining. Why not? I ask myself. I could use some exercise.

It was a blast!!! I ended up dancing my heart out to two different Latino songs. (I can dance more easily than I can walk.) There were only about 10 of us dancing. The folks then invited me to join in on some grilled chicken. But I still had a 40-minute drive to get home. I was going the back way to avoid the ZOOMING interstate. I had driven to my daughter's place via the interstate, and that was enough interstate for me for one day. 

I so desire to get back to living life again.
To roaming the woods and mountains and meeting trail folk.

On the way home, on the back roads which I love to drive, a quieter-than-a-thought whispered as tears welled in my eyes... 
I'm gonna ride again...
("Ride again" refers to my bicycle.)

I don't make New Year's resolutions... 
But I have a new mantra for 2024...
I'm gonna ride again... 


One of my new favorite songs by the band Mipso...