August 6, 2024

Majestic magic portals...

I so enjoy my weekly daytrips, most of them to the mountains. 

Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment in Sparta, NC. I estimate that I've made this trip over 200 times since May 2022.

After my appointment was over, I look at the time. 4:15 PM. 

Do I take 18 South to Cumberland Knob or take a longer drive and go to Doiughton Park?

I check in with my energy levels. Cumberland Knob would be quicker. But Doughton Park would be more magical. 

Do I want magic or efficiency? Which would better refresh my soul? 

Doughton Park wins. Hubby and I had just visited there on July 6th. That's when met the timber rattler.

(Doughton Park picnic area is large -- 80 acres -- a part of the 6000-acre Doughton Park with its over 30 miles of trails which includes an approximate 7-mile section of the Mountains to Sea Trail (MST). The MST is 1170 miles stretching from Clingman's Dome in the Smokies to Jockey's Ridge at the Outer Banks.)

As my manner is, I drive first to the Comfort Station. I park Sir Edward and do the strenuous task of getting out of the vehicle. I open the back door on the driver's side. I open my hiking hip pack to get my whistle on a string and hang it around my neck. 

I've heard from multiple sources that bears are a plenty this year. Decades ago, a ranger told me to wear a whistle, that the loud noise can scare away bears. I've never had to use it, so I don't know if that's true or not. I now wear it for an additional reason when I hike; in case I fall, or something, I can blow my whistle until someone hears it.

I don my cap to help prevent any falling ticks from lodging in my hair. I place my phone in my hip pack and place the hip pack over my shoulder; I'm not going far so no need to go through the labor of clicking it around my body. I get my two trekking poles, lock Edward, and make my way down the path to the Comfort Station.

After visiting the Comfort Station, I climb back into Edward and drive the loop that goes to the end of the picnic area. I read the trail signs informing me of the trail names and lengths. One trail is only .2 miles long and goes to the summit of Bluff Mountain.

I can do .4 miles. But I think I'll eat supper first. 

I drive back up from the loop and turn right onto the road that makes its way to an old lodge which has been closed since 2011. I loop the parking area, then drive back to the intersection in the picnic area and turn left. I stop at a picnic table where I've eaten before. O the majestic view...

(As I'm composing this, I'm enjoying looking up and reading about some of the history of the area.)

I am the only human in the 80-acre picnic area, which is often the case on these day trips -- one solitary human...
The trips have become like sacred journeys... 
Sometimes I feel I enter a portal where time slows down...
As I drive, I often listen to music through Sir Edwards speakers which enhances the magic of the journey... 
I often ride with my windows down blowing my tresses freely...
My eyes and heart take in the blessed scenery on these drives... 
My heart spills over with gratitude... 

After supper, I load my cooler and myself back into Sir Edward and drive to the trail I'd decided upon. Again, I park and unload, this time strapping my hip pack around my lower abdomen. It's one of my harder tasks. I have to put the pack around my low back which is supported by a lumbar brace outside my clothing. (I wear a rib belt under my clothing; it provides back support for my thoracic area.) As I hold the left and right straps with both hands, I lean my right arm up against a wall or tree or car for leverage and strength, and then I concentrate as I click the buckle. Then I pull the straps, smoothly yet awkwardly, turning the hip pack so that the pack part is in front. Yes, all this hurts. But it's not too bad; plus, I've grown used to the pain. I grab my trekking poles and lock up Sir Edward. 

It's another glorious hike...
Peaceful...
O the blessed peace...
Wide open vistas... 
Life is large... 

I make it to the summit and then hike the other direction to Overlook Shelter on Bluff Ridge Trail. I end up hiking .65 miles instead of .40. 

On my drive home, I am the only vehicle on Hwy. 18 South for about 22 miles until I get to Wilkesboro. 
This too is a regular occurrence...

The only vehicle on the road for miles and miles and miles and miles...
Miles of smiles...


  
Dining spot


Overlook Shelter, Bluff Ridge Trail


View from Overlook Shelter

Golden days of summer