November 14, 2009

What is Your Agenda?

*********************
In an email someone wrote to me, the person insinuated that I was using other people to push my own agenda. The person and I have never spoken and have communicated very little in type.  I really had to ponder the person's insinuation.  I had to reread our typed exchanges, the few we had.  I put myself in the other person's shoes. After study, I could understand at least one reason they may have jumped to that conclusion; I had not explained my motives or thinking sufficiently (seeing as the person and I do not know one another) behind something I wanted to post on my blog.  Had the individual known me, they probably wouldn't have jumped to the conclusion they did.

All that said, it really got me to examining my "agenda." What is an agenda? Do I have one?  If I do what is it?  Is it immoral or unethical?  Do I use others to advance it?

So I took my questions, pondered, and came up with some answers which I think are honest.

What is an agenda?
One definition of agenda is simply a list of things to do.  We all have that. One other slant on the word is hidden motives.  I think in the context of the conversation I refer to in my opening paragraph, the individual was insituating I had hidden motives.

Do I have hidden motives?  Possibly, so may every one else.  But it isn't something I choose to dwell on in myself or others.  I prefer and endeavor to take people as much as possible at face value, all the while endeavoring to not be naive to the human condition.  I also endeavor to be as upfront and transparent, perhaps quite clumsily at times, as I am able in given situations.

What is my agenda?
In the context of the situation described in my first paragraph, my 'agenda' (which isn't hidden) is to find my voice, to express it, to tell my story, to not be silenced.  I look at this as more of human need, not an agenda.  For me, it's almost literally breath for life, seeing as I struggled with asthma for decades partly due to silencing myself.  Others may not feel strongly about this need, to find there voice.  But I think everyone does to a point.  Some may find that voice not in words, but in music or work or family or art or any other creative endeavor.  I just happen to like to write.

Do I use others to push or promote it?
I really had to ponder this.  What does it mean to "use" someone?  In the context I'm speaking of (finding my voice and relaying my story), that would mean I develop relationships with other people only to have a story.  That, I do not do.  I don't even have that in mind when relating with others.  My relationships are real.   That said, I do not live in a bubble; there are others in my life.  So naturally when I tell my story there will be others involved.

I like the words of Fred Poole:  "I tend to oppose protecting the guilty."  I've thought about that quote a lot the past months as I have often struggled, sometimes deeply, with how to write my story without harming others and without telling another's story.  Their stories are their stories, not mine. However when our paths cross, our stories intertwine.  When I choose to post a memoir and make it 'blog public,' I often use pseudo names, not only of the 'innocent' but oftentimes of the 'guilty.'  In certain pieces, I've even let the 'innocent' know about a blog and asked their permission. Except for once, I've gotten positive responses.

Is my 'agenda' (as outlined above) immoral and unethical?
To me it isn't; it's human.  It's my story.  It's my voice. I will no longer be silenced.  I hope the same for other's, even if their story is one in which I am the 'guilty.'

If someone deems me as being unethical or immoral or disrespectful, so be it.  I'll take the gallows.

****************************

9 comments:

lawrenceez said...

Hi, not sure I fully understand why this person has emailed you in such a way, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think your blogs are fine. When you're writing about cults and religious control, you'll always come across highly strung (angry/accusing) people. Best thing is not to answer an email like that.

Best wishes.

oneperson said...

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for the comment. :-)

It's interesting to me that some of these type insinuations/accusations come from certain people in the anti-cult community. The paranoia that is bread in the cult (us/them; ie: someone or some entity is after us and the great mission we have undertaken) seems to spill over into a different cause, the anti-cult cause. A person in that frame of mind can begin to read motives into people that simply aren't there.

I'm not immune to that paranoia either.

And sometimes "the mindset of someone is after me" can be legit. I guess there's a fine line (depending on circumstances) between legitimate and perceived persecution/threat.

I'd make a rotten CIA agent, btw. Living a life of secrets just ain't my style, I reckon. ;-)

To freedom,
~carol

lawrenceez said...

Very interesting. I've found that when people hurl accusations around, they usually have the same problem themselves.

Excellent blog. I'm about to take a look at the more recent posts.

oneperson said...

Thanks Lawrence!

I got a bit behind on my comments responses. :-o

Thanks for stopping by and reading and commenting!

April Galamin-Griffiths said...

Dear Carol,

I'm happy for you that you have the courage to tell your story.

I too, like Fred Poole's comment about not protecting abusers.

Don't you think too, that it is difficult for cult survivors to speak out because they have been kept silent for so long?

I remember when I was having struggles w/ the doctrine, I was doing research & getting information & the leader informed me to "don't go around discussing this w/ others..." I think that's a good way to keep folks controlled..you are never allowed to honestly debate &/or discuss your doubts or misgivings. & if you do....most likely you can look forward to being blasted from the pulpit. SOP

The unspoken "rule of silence" is implanted deep in the psyche.
If you do begin to speak out, you are made to feel guilty & defective. You are made to feel the problem is YOU. You have no right to "question" the leader or doctrine.

We were called "murmurers & complainers"...the devil was getting into me. How could honestly evaluating & questioning be devilish?!

*sigh*

Keep speaking out Carol!

You are a beautiful person who has experienced so much.

& love your CIA comment!!
Ha Ha!!! :-)

with much LOVE,
April

oneperson said...

Hi April,

Thanks for the kudos. Kudos back atcha! ;-) You continue to inspire me. I love that we can laugh about some of this stuff. Some of it would make a great Seinfeld-type series!

That said, it is also a serious matter. I wasn't able to laugh about parts of it until after being out from the spell for a year(?) or so(?).

You stated a question which may be rhetorical but I thought I'd comment on it. Your question: "Don't you think too, that it is difficult for cult survivors to speak out because they have been kept silent for so long?"

Yes, I agree. I think that can be true for any folks who have been in a one-sided controlling relationship. I think we as communal humans desire acceptance, belonging, approval. I think we look to get those needs fulfilled, sometimes at own expense.

I've really grown to detest silencing. Perhaps part of that detesting has come with age, as I (we) approach the purple hat years. Or is red hat and purple hair? hehe

Thanks so much for your insights and for sharing openly!!

Merry Christmas!!! :-D
~carol

PS: Below is a link to an article on silencing written by Sherie. I (and I think others) can relate to the struggle she so well articulates when wrestling with the landscape of speaking one's truth. Sometimes, that landscape can feel like a minefield.
"Trapped in Silence" by Sherie:

http://restoringtheheart.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/trapped-in-silence/

note: You may have to copy and paste the link. I don't know now to link directly on eblogger comments. Hmmm, need to look into that.

excultgirl said...

Thank you Carol for your article and Lawrence and April for your comments.
As a blogger who is writing about the cult I was involved in, writing these words are so inspiring.
There are so many reasons for exposing what happened to us, people ask me, what is the ultimate purpose, what are you trying to achieve and I don't have just on answer. The words healing, freedom, courage come to mind, and I agree with Fred Poole, our blog is not meant to protect the guilty, quite the opposite, why not exposing what they've done so no more innocent people fall in their trap?
I'm thankful that we all can count on each other and I'm thankful for our friendship Carol and April.

oneperson said...

Hi excultgirl,

What you guys and gals are writing over at ya'lls blog is awesome.

Yea, I too have strugglee (and still do at times) when asked the what-is-your-purpose or what-are-you-trying-to-accomplish questions.

Sometimes I don't know, other than to simply express.

And I also think some of, if not much of, a consistent questioning of motives is a spill over from indoctrination. In the Org I drank in that I was to measure almost my every move; ie: does this bring "glory to god." (Whatever that means...grrrrr.)

Anymore, I don't care if it does or doesn't. If "god" is so small s/he/it cannot accept me for who I am...screw that god.(Another grrrr...)

I thought my emptiness my last years in The Way and after leaving were due to lack of "fellowship with God." I thought the hole had to be filled with a relationship with 'Him.'

Now, I think the hole was a lack of relationship with me, with Carol. I didn't know who I was. My identity had been replaced with a doctrine.

Thus I have put God on a back burner. I'm on a Carol quest. And if there is a God and if s/he/it doesn't like that, I'll take the gallows.

Well, apologies for that ramble. Ha!

Keep expressing!! Even if that is the only point of doing it, simply to express. You have a worthy voice!!

Power to the people!

xoxo,
~carol

oneperson said...

PS: While exercising I got to thinking about my last comment and thought I maybe should clarify. (Oh my, perhaps this is an example of the self-doubt in process. Oh well!;-)

I don't have a problem with folks believing in God or them bringing "glory to God," as long as they allow me to be me and not shove their belief at me, claiming it is "the" way to wholeness or life or peace or whatever.

To humanity!
~carol