June 15, 2009

Journey through Memoir: Introduction

****
I have an ever-growing list to links of memoir. Some content of the memoirs may change over time as I add more detail; however, that altered content will most likely come out in another memoir on the same subject, approaching it from another angle at another time. Will some of these scribblings ever be in a book? I don't know. At this point a book doesn't mean that much to me.

From my understanding, memoir is not absolute fact. It is a retelling of an event or events according to how an individual remembers them. That said, there are facts in memoir.

It is a fact I was a troubled teen, overdosing on jimson weed at 15 years old. It is a fact I was in The Way for 28 years. It is a fact Dr. Wierwille signed me up to go Word Over the World Ambassador when I was 18 years old. It is a fact I AWOLed on both of my Corps commitments. It is a fact I underwent an abortion on my WOW year. It is a fact I developed asthma at age 22. It is a fact I loved The Way: the people, my in-residence Corps years, and more. It is a fact I birthed two children.

There are many more facts. Few are spectacular in the sense of a seedy cult story. Through memoir, I endeavor to share what it was like for me, my perspective at the time yet reflected from the present.

My perception of these events is mainly subjective; however, many of the effects of those experiences are objective. For example, my physical health is an objective result of emotional suppression; that said, how much so is a subjective approximation.

Both subjective and objective realities are substantial components of what shapes a person's life. Both have value and are 'true' in the sense of how an individual responds. Both leave an imprint, like a deer track through the woods. The heavier the animal, the deeper the print. Tracks get erased, or covered, or even fossilized. Some are unearthed, others never manifest. Some are more easily followed than others. Alas, an analogy can only go so far.

My memoirs are not being written in historic chronological order; yet, I am indexing them in historic chronological order as to when the events occurred.  Some names and locations are changed.  Some of what is written is from journal records. Some is from memory. Some dates are approximate; some are exact. If/when I discover I have a fact incorrect, I will correct the text(s). All is recreated to the best of my ability to catch the essence of a circumstance or conversation and my mindset at the time of the incident(s).

****
Related entries:
It's Relative
Ink Not Dried:  more thoughts on memoir
Do You Type with Eyes Closed?
Memoir, Art, Life ~ Love Affair

Click here for memoir index.
****

2 comments:

Fred Poole said...

This is so fine -- your take on memoir and your entry into the story. You were born to be a writer. Still feel your presence in the house of Authentic Writing.

oneperson said...

Thanks beyond gratitude Fred! Your words mean more than you may know, but I figure you probably do know!

Thank you for the inspiration, encouragement, empowerment, and freedom to express and be.

Looking forward to the phone workshop in a couple weeks.

Cheers and peace...