June 22, 2009

memoir begins with m e



I've begun writing memoir. No news there.

I find memoir easier to write than a narrative. To me memoir is akin to poetry. What is between the lines is as real as the letters that paint the scene.

I've never read how to write memoir; maybe that's a good thing. Ha!

When I write memoir, I go back in time to a place where I was at that moment. It's almost like I am a fly on a wall. Hmmm...better yet, an actor and the producer and the patron all at the same time in a theatrical play.

Memoir is alive; it's organic. I have always enjoyed people's stories, perhaps that is one reason I enjoy this new found treasure of memoir. I hope our companionship continues to grow. Currently I find it an integral tool in recovery and wellness and self-discovery. I'm trusting myself more; that's a huge step for me.

The few I've written have been revealing for me, seeing myself in that time and place. Knowing what I know now that I didn't know then. Dare I say...it's kind of like being a god. That's a scary thought. I don't think I'll hold onto that one...at least not for now! (Maybe goddess? haha)

No comments: