June 22, 2009

Million Dollar Pylon


Sometimes when I am with people I want to run, to hide. Not always, but more than I wish. I wish a lot. For a beautiful yard, organized home, thinner body.

Confidence; I wish I knew my opinions on things. I often feel others know more than I.

I cry often. Sometimes it just comes like a wave. Sometimes I know why I cry; other times it just feels like loss.

I am accepting and learning that life is a series of losses.

Today on the boat we glided through the coastal wakes. The ship's announcer told of the homes we were passing. Huge homes: a 10-car garage, the Brachs Candy family home, the indoor pool where "Cocoon" was filmed. One home is currently for sale; 8.5 million dollars is the asking price.

The homes are beautiful. Most all have piers and a boat or two. Many of the boats are lifted up out of the water, suspended by cables and sturdy poles. They must be strong to withstand hurricanes and such.

Imagine the homeowner's insurance cost on those homes.

A golden lab is hanging around the back of one of the homes. He walks up to the large glass doors; I guess they are doors. The dog peers inside.

All the homes have lots of glass to catch the view of the bay area. I'm not sure of the name of the waterway. It is near John's Pass which connects to the Gulf of Mexico.

As we pass a large pier coming out from one of the gorgeous, well-manicured estates, a bird is perched on a pier pylon. It's not an egret or pelican. It is smaller than either of those. It is a drab gray color perched on one leg.

It reminds me of simplicity perched there on that million dollar post. It reminds me of the homeless. It reminds me that it has the freedom to perch on a million dollar pier, without ever having to worry about the million dollars.

I wonder how many millionaires there are?

The announcer says we are approaching John's Pass to dock. To keep our fingers and hands inside as he docks the boat. The boat probably seats 50 to 75 people. It is open on all sides and has a roof to protect passengers from the sun. There is plastic rolled up on the sides, for when it rains I guess.

No comments: