June 7, 2009

Tweet Tweet

*************
I have caught the Twitter bug. I'll see how long it lasts. Ha!

I have two Twitter accounts, one personal that links this blog and one for work that links my poetry blog. My personal Twitter account is mainly focused on cultic/spiritual abuse. My work account is mainly focused on art.

I've read various articles regarding the "right way" to use Twitter. My favorite one so far is by Will Wheaton. In his blog he quotes a fellow Tweeter: "As @Pogue said in his NYT column about Twitter, The Web is full of “rules” about the proper way to Twitter, and a lot of them are just knowier-than-thou garbage. I couldn't agree more, and encourage you to ignore them all, choosing instead to use Twitter however it amuses you. "

I totally agree! I agree with most (if not all) of Will's blog on the subject.

What do I like about Twitter? I can search subjects I'm interested in and find others with the same interests. From there I can follow their info, links, messages to learn more on that particular subject. If I find that most of their tweets end up not my cup of tea, I simply "unfollow."

Most folks I find with a similar interest have an open account; ie: anyone can follow them. There is an option for protected or open accounts.

I like the Retweet function to pass along info that I want to share, etc. Plus it gives credit to the initial authenticator (for lack of a better term at the moment). RT is probably not technically a function, but one gets the idea. :-)

I can also post a Tweet when I write a new blog. :-)

I don't view Twitter really as a place to 'make' friends, more like acquaintances with similar interests. Of course some Tweeters I knew before joining Twitter; that's why I initially joined. Duh... ;-) Some of the acquaintances may turn into 'friendships,' but that isn't my purpose in Twittering.

My purpose is information exchange of and leads for similar interests without lots of verbiage. :-) If the exchanges resonate deeply enough the parties can then correspond more.

Each of us is only one person with limited time and energy and resources.

Tweet. Tweet.

***********************




No comments: