November 11, 2011

Trail Journal ~ 5/25/2010

*******************
5/25/2010, Tuesday

Double Springs Shelter to 1/2 mile past Turkey Pen Gap. 9.5 miles.

I camp alone tonight, 1/2 mile past Turkey Pen. 1-1/2 miles from a shelter and 1-1/2 miles from water.

Today I really enjoyed the pasture before Route 91. It was refreshing to be in the open light and out of the green tunnel.

1/2ish mile past 91, I found the orange box. Ice cold sodas and water. Candy bars and oatmeal cookies. And even a bag to leave the trash in. The box is stocked by a local church, more trail angels.

I was alone when I saw the box. Then, other hikers trickled by...ended up about 6 of us hanging around the box. Two thru-hiker guys stated a great line..."Smile quota up, mile quota down." It had become their thru-hike motto, in a sense. Instead of trying to chalk off umpteen miles a day, they'd decided to enjoy the trek. They only have another 1500(?) miles to go.

New plan:
~Wed: It's 5 miles to Vandeventer Shelter. Water is hell there. So I'll camel at the next water source and then decide at Vandeventer how far I'll go that night.
~Thurs: Hike to 321 at Watauga Lake in TN. Son will pick me up there. I'll just have to do Watauga to Dennis Cove sometime in the future. I've heard Pond Flats is really hard. I think I should do it with a lighter pack.

Some sort of really strange noise is happening in the woods. Doesn't sound like a deer snort. Raccoon? Bear?

Night, night.

*****************

No comments: