November 18, 2011

Trail Journal ~ 5/26/10 - 5/27/10

**********************

5/26/2010, Wednesday

8 miles. Half-mile past Turkey Pen Gap to about 1.5 miles from Wilbur Lake Road.

I camp as a lone human again. I'm smackdab beside the trail; my left front tent pole is right on the edge of the trail. It was either camp here or walk another 3 miles to Watauga Lake Shelter and get there around 9:30 PM or there abouts. Plus Watauga Shelter is near a road, not safe camping for lone women..and I've heard there is lots of bear activity at Watauga.

I picked up a dog today. Her name is Cyngie(?). She had followed some northbound thru hikers from Hampton, TN, up to Vandeventer. So now she is following me southbound. She's been with me about 2 miles.

The northbounders got Cyngie's owner's phone number from the vet number listed on Cyngie's dog tag. The owner's name is Mark. I had some cell service so I called him and let him know that Cyngie was with me. He said that she'd probably continue south at dark, heading home. I hope she doesn't. I like her company.

She snaps at the flies and bees. She is short. Reddish-brown. Gorgeous brown eyes. She has a collie look to her, mixed with cocker. She looks like a herding dog.

I'm sitting on a log. She is lying in front of my tent door.

I'm letting the underside of my tent fly dry.

Tomorrow, I'll hike about 5-3/4 miles to Highway 321. w00t!

Met a guy today from New Zealand, thru hiking. I was low on water because I missed the watering hole; he gave me some of his water.

Thoughts:
The longest mile is the one before the shelter.
My body deserves all the nuture I can give it; it is my vehicle.
_________________________

5/27/2010, Thursday

Made it to Watauga Lake at 321 around 5:30ish.

Hard hiking day. Hot. Heavy.

Texans gave me water at Wilbur Lake Road. Nice, because I was having to ration my water since I missed the hole.

Lots of gnats around the lake. Cyngey was at the lake too. I called Mark again and he was going to drive over and get her.

Cyngey left last night with Adam, a big dude who stopped at my tent at dusk. He'd hiked up from the road to check out the trail for his buddies coming down from Chicago. He spooked me because he didn't have on a backpack and I wasn't sure if he was being honest. Apparently, he was.

Son picked arrived shortly after I got to Watauga Lake. Ate at a local diner and son drove the couple hours home...back to electricity, running water, and flush toilets.

************************

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting excerpts from your journal and allowing us a sneak peek inside.

oneperson said...

Thanks Mindi! :)