May 26, 2012

Mental Illness ~ Counselor #2

(May, 2012: Working on indexing/categorizing pieces I've blogged. Transferring this piece from another blog.


Click here for the introduction to Mental Illness ~ Counselor #2.)
____________________________


In January, 1999, I sat in an examining room.  Another allergist.  Another ears, nose, and throat dude.  Two other medical doctors had referred me here.  Yet instead of ending up with the ENT, I ended up with his partner, Dr. Piva, an osteopath who specialized in allergies and heavy metal toxicity.  From a previous hospitalization, tests discovered my mercury levels were way high.

Dr. Piva was a couple years older than me.  He was of short stature, fit build, with dark hair.  He was Italian having moved to the USA from Italy with his parents when he was ten years old.

As I worked with Dr. Piva over the next three years, he became my knight in shining armor. It was the first time since 1981 that I could breathe freely; that I could breathe without steroids and constant inhalers and monitoring. I clung to him for help, sometimes too much.  It became a challenge for me and for him.  I would get afraid waiting for the next onslaught of drowning in my own fluid; but it didn't come.

Under his treatment the asthma became almost non-existent. That freed up energy and resources to then begin work on other areas - severe hives, body aches, mood swings, digestive problems and more.  In mid to latter 2000 Dr. Piva thought I might benefit from some psychological counseling. He urged me to see a secular psychologist whom he knew, Dr. McColloch.

I was afraid to see a secular psychologist; what if he required me to do something Biblically weird. "What can Dr. McColloch do that you and I can't do?" I asked Dr. Piva after he helped calm my spiritual fears. He answered, "Mental health is his field.  He has decades of experience in that area; I dont.  I don't know what else to do for you in that area."

I hated going to new doctors. I despised recounting my damn history. But I agreed and made the appointment. One of my main goals in seeing Dr. McColloch was to discover how many of my physical symptoms were due to emotional suppression.

Dr. McColloch's office was upstairs in a condominium office complex.  In one room were a bunch of toys, for when he saw children. Dr. McColloch was fifteen or so years older than I. Over the course of time I learned that he'd been married to his wife for decades.  They had raised two children who were now adults. He talked with his children via phone almost every day; they were emotionally close.

Dr. McColloch was originally from Oklahoma. He had practiced psychology in California, the Northeast, the Midwest, and now the Bible-belt South.  I once asked Dr. McColloch, "Do you go to church?"  He gently replied, "No."  I was glad he didn't go to church.

During my first six to eight visits, we plowed through my history.  My husband came with me for a couple of those appointments, the ones where I had to reveal my shameful behavior of AWOLing two different times from The Way Corps.  I began to wheeze during those sessions.

I hated those years, the years I had failed my calling and copped out on my Corps commitment. They haunted me like a wretched invisible rabid monkey. It was during those years I had developed the asthma. And now shame upon shame, I sat in another office relaying my god-damned, fucked-up history. What a horrible excuse for a believer I was.

Once I was finished with my history Dr. McColloch stated, "Let's begin with the obvious.  Do you realize that you have over-active emotional responses?"  I was stunned. I really hadn't realized that; I thought everyone struggled inside like I did.

During my first two years with Dr. McColloch, I stayed on my spiritual toes; the Ministry was never to be blamed. I had been indoctrinated that unbelievers cannot understand spiritual matters; Dr. McColloch was an unbeliever. I had to learn to navigate.

Part of the time I saw Dr. McColloch, I also saw a psychiatrist, Dr. Edwards, for about 10 months.  But we didn't spend time in counseling; I saw him mainly to manage medications.

Like Dr. Piva, Dr. McColloch listened to me; he heard me.  I knew this because he asked the right questions. I began to trust him. Though he wasn't old enough to be my father, he felt like a father in a sense.

I asked him, "What will I do when you retire?"  I really thought I'd never be able to live without him. He said he didn't plan on retiring, but rather he planned to cut back on his hours.  He loved his work. He assured me that if I was becoming too dependent on him that he'd let me know and we would address that. He was confident there would come a time where I wouldn't need him.  He was right. I began to wean from him in mid-2004.

I dug through tunnels of emotional debris with the help of Dr. McColloch. He held my hand as I'd navigate through emotional obstacle courses.  He gently helped me acknowledge past experiences which I was afraid of; he helped me see that my built-in responses were 'understandable.'  He helped teach me to regulate my emotions, not to suppress or deny them. He helped me through suicidal ideations. He helped me learn to think and recognize distorted thoughts.

I still utilized his services coinciding with Janet, counselor number three, who I started seeing in 2004.

At some point I informed Way leadership that I was seeing a psychologist.

*******************

5 comments:

... Zoe ~ said...

Just want to say that I'm reading and it's these posts that I relate to the most. Where there are physical symptoms on top of emotional symptoms and you are seeking help. My worst allergy and asthma time was during my fundamentalist days. I can't breathe but I feel that the set-up for all that started much earlier.

A Christian psychologist is the first therapist to tell/explain to me about my over-active emotional responses. I was so grateful he spelled that out for me. That was in the early 90's. He moved away and I didn't seek psychiatric therapy again until 2001. Part of that reason for not getting help had to do with not being able to find a Christian psychologist. At that time I would not have gone to a secular therapist. :-(

Jon said...

As always, you do such a good job taking us along with you on your journey.

oneperson said...

Thanks Jon for reading and for the kind words, again. :)
****************

And thank you too Zoe...

Zoe, interesting how the over-active emotional responses mirror our over-active immune system responses. Though for me, I think it was the other way around...my immune responses mirrored my emotional responses.

How did you feel when the one therapist (who spelled out the over-active emotional responses) moved away? I would think that would have been hard.

My first mental-health therapist was a leader in The Way. (And now I could write a whole essay...or book!)

My heart goes out to you...regarding the physical and mental health challenges. I don't know if there is much that is more scary than drowning in one's own fluids, feeling that elephant on one's chest. The fear. *pause* Oh my, the fear. I recall it vividly.

The inability to move is scary too. When you are telling a body part to move, and it won't. I'm not sure which is worse.

Zoe, have you found that the physical symptoms improved some since leaving the church? If that is too personal of a question, I understand if you don't want to answer...or maybe even don't know the answer.
****************

Thanks again...both of you...
:)

... Zoe ~ said...

Actually this is the area/topic I'd like to spend my time writing about but I haven't figured out how to change over to that yet. I think a whole new blog is in order.

Both of my systems were over-reactive and the majority of my life we spent on trying to sort out which came first. It was/is an exhaustive approach. It got to the point where I would ask the professionals if it really mattered. The point is, I'm sick and can we look at it wholistically and maybe in doing so we'll eventually get to the root.

Well, interestingly enough, the therapist announced to me his departure after only about two months of my therapy. Naturally I figured I drove him away from his practice. :-) But I found out it had been in the works for awhile and he was returning to the U.S..

It's not that I didn't know about over-reactive emotional responses. I was an active competitive athlete and a nurse with some knowledge . . . the thing for me is, I couldn't see outside myself. I couldn't see that what applied to others applied to me. I was an extremely logical person. The emotional stuff was buried underneath my success in other areas of life.

The most difficult part of my Doc leaving was that we were really starting to make headway and I felt a sense of panic. I asked him to refer me to another counsellor and the guy told me he didn't know who to send me too. He told me the problem with me is that I'm too intelligent. On the one hand he did't want to recommend a secular counsellor (remember he's a born-again conservative evangelical Christian too) because his theory is that God is the great psychologist and the answer are in the Bible, and he didn't want to recommend another Christian counsellor because he figured I knew more about the Bible that they did. So what happened. No recommendations to any other therapist! It was just awful and I left his office feeling like it was all my fault for being too intelligent and I was angry because I was sick and tired to being told that. His final advice to me was to keep on doing what I'd always been doing since youth . . . because in his opinion I'd done a damn good job of surviving. I thought it was a highly unprofessional response. Looking back now though, all I see is two Christians doing the Christian thing. My faith after all was my therapy and my Doc was the Triune God. And so was his. In other words Zoe, keep on keeping on with God and God will do the rest.

Girl, you could right a dozen books! :-)

Yes, the physical symtoms have improved. God I was sick! I was literally failing to survive. :-(

Hmm . . . I could write a book too. :-)

oneperson said...

You certainly can write a book..and it'd be a great one. Your writing is real, authentic.

I reckon, we have both written books...just not published them. Haha. ;)

Well, I think it was unprofessional of your counselor at that time to do that...even it was two Christians doing the Christian thing. I can see how his saying what he did would cause you feel at fault. :/ (I'm not saying the therapist was a bad person or incompetent; but his 'faith' sounds like it got in the way of his profession?)

When you stated "Actually this is the area/topic I'd like to spend my time writing about but I haven't figured out how to change over to that yet."...I thought of stuff I want to write about, but I don't know how to approach it...or I see it from so many angles, that I write around it and every once in awhile about it.

Hmm...maybe that's how I always write. ;D

Thankful to hear that symptoms have improved. I know it's still hard though. (((hugs)))

Thanks for sharing Zoe...I so enjoy reading the snippets of your life. You've lived a lot of it.

Much fondness and gratitude...
~carol