December 7, 2013

Awakening

I open my eyes this morning after a full night's sleep.

I am alive. I feel rested. It feels good to feel rested.

I had taken a sleep aid last night so I could sleep the whole night through.

I arise to relieve my bladder. Simply by getting up, I am reminded of the disability in my hands and arms and feet and ankles. After relieving myself, I lay back down.

It can be a good day, Carol. You can get some things accomplished today.

Yesterday I accomplished very little in relation to what I could have accomplished had I not been grieving and fatigued.

I lay in bed and lift both arms perpendicular to my body. The action to raise them causes the regular continual pain in my biceps; I can feel their weakness. I bend my arms at my elbows...up and down, up and down. I lower my arms again feeling the pain in my biceps. One at a time, I touch each finger on both hands with their corresponding thumbs. I make a fist formation with each hand. Fist-making too is painful and I am unable to make full fists. I look through the holes in each fists like they are binoculars. I unfold my hands and examine the recent lump on the back of my right hand as I run my left fingers over the lump. The lump used to be on the outer side of my right wrist; it moved sometime in the last month to the back of my right hand.

In my mind's eye, I see Dad, see him moving his arms back and forth, back and forth, as they dangle down over the armrests of his wheelchair. He used to move his arms back and forth often; it was about the only part of his body below his head that he could move.

As I move my own arms, I realize how much it must have meant to Dad that he could move his arms, giving him some sense of control, to feel the little bit of strength that was left in his limbs. Dad was labeled an "odd quad." His spinal cord sever was at C-4. He shouldn't have been able to move his arms, but he could. He couldn't move his fingers though.

I arise and walk down the hall and down the stairs. I take one stair at a time due to the tenderness in the soles of my feet and the shooting pain in my right ankle. I remind myself that my feet will feel much better shortly; they improve as I go about my day. I enter the kitchen.

I assemble the blender to make my morning smoothie: water, apple cider vinegar, tart cherry juice, grapefruit seed extract, powdered nutritional supplements for inflammation and general nutrition and hormones, beet powder, green veggie powder, frozen blueberries, and immoglobulin powder. With all my strength I pry the cap off the vinegar bottle. I use the wooden cover end of an ice pick like a hammer to secure the lid back onto the bottle. I combine all the ingredients and whir my smoothie in the blender. Using both hands, I pour the mixture into a glass and insert a colored straw into the deep purple beverage. I fill another glass with the herbal tea I brew every other day; the tea addresses fatigue. I eat a handful of pistachios to get digestive juices going to prepare my tummy for pills: quercetin, vitamins C & D, fish oil, probiotics, garlic, mixed boron and calcium, Theracumin, prednisone. I pop a sublingual vitamin B-12 under my tongue and let it dissolve. I try not to despise that I spend most all my personal earnings on supplements to either counter the side effects of prednisone or address the nerve damage and inflammation.

As I go about my morning, I hear myself grunt and groan. I don't like it. It's a habit that has come about due to the pain and weakness in my arms and hands. I hear myself whispering, "Okay Carol, you can do this," as I make my body work to put up the vacuum cleaner and pick up the bottle of laundry detergent and make the bed and pull my shirt over my head and brush my hair and engage in some simple stretching exercises. "Come on, come on, come on; work," I whisper in quick succession, reminding my hands and arms to function.

I am unable to use my palms for resistance - they are too tender and weak. Sometimes I feel like an ape when I engage in certain floor exercises. I curl my hands in an almost fist and use the back of my hands with my knuckles to support my body and absorb the pressure as I lift myself off the floor.

Nerves. I never really gave them much thought in regard to physical strength. It seems I equated physical strength with muscles and ligaments and tendons and bones. But Dad was weakened and paralyzed due to the most severe kind of nerve damage - severing. My limb nerves are inflamed at the spinal cord, at least that is the current diagnosis. The nerves are damaged. The inflammation causes weakness and pain in my limbs.

I cry. Then I remind myself, I can at least move my hands and my arms and my legs and my body. Don't give up Carol. Keep that spark of hope. Find joy and laughter in little things. Gratitude, gratitude.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I really have nothing to offer other than to say, I understand. I find it helpful to read the stories of others who have chronic illness and pain. Your story reminds me that I am not alone and that there is someone who understands. Those who are healthy try to understand, but they have no frame of reference. (And I hope they never do) The fellow sufferer understands because we have the kindred bond that sufferers have with one another. When we say, I can feel your pain, we really can. :)

Like you, I pick up stream throughout the day. I usually hit a sweet spot about 4 PM. This is when I write, pay bills, etc. some times I only have a couple of hours, if I am lucky four or five...and then, my day is done.

Have a great weekend,Carol.

Bruce

oneperson said...

Thanks Bruce.

I know you know. I often read your own sharings, but I don't always comment. However, your pennings help me to express my own pain. They give me permission, so to speak.

A couple weeks ago I actually had four pain-free days. Long story...but it was a respite I felt I needed. So my neurologist agreed for me to up my prednisone to 40 milligrams and then titrate down again to around 5 to 7 milligrams. I enjoyed the faux pain-free days; but reality hit home again when I was down to 10 milligrams. (I've been on prednisone since the end of July, 2011. I don't want to end up with diabetes or adrenal failure or other complications along with neuropathy. So I try to keep the dose at 5 milligrams to keep total dysfunction from the PN at bay and to maybe keep my own adrenal glands doing some work so they don't totally atrophy.)

I also started another medication that I take at bedtime which takes about a month to kick in. It's been a month. My hope was it would help the inflammation and I could get off the prednisone. I was hopeful, but that hope is waning. The medication seems to have relieved some of the fatigue but not the inflammation/pain. :-/

I've read about IV immunolglobulin therapy and plasmapheresis; both have been fairly successful in treating PN. My neurologist thinks IV immunglobulin therapy would help me, but I don't have to correct kind of PN for insurance to cover the treatments which costs $25,000 out of pocket. But, I have more questions to bring up at my next appointment.

Well, that was boring. *chuckle* Gawd, and there's so much that isn't shared....which I know you also can relate too.

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope you have a good weekend too...with some laughter to soothe the soul.

Much love and gratitude...<3
Carol

oneperson said...

Forgot to add something...a quote from Valerie Tarico's book, "Trusting Doubt," which resonated with me and reminded me that I am not responsible for this pain which is sadly too often accompanied with feelings of guilt. Anyway the quote:
"You're in pain, massive pain, and it's all you can think about (because when physical pain exceeds a certain threshold we humans can't really process anything else)....."

So true. It is difficult to process anything else.

Anonymous said...

Carol,

So sorry that you are having such pain. Will keep you in my prayers.

SP

oneperson said...

Thanks SP.

The pain I deal with is so much less than what others deal with. So I try to keep it in perspective....but it is like a continual drip ... drip ... drip.

Thanks again!
<3

... Zoe ~ said...

I so relate to not being able to process. Just reading your entire post here now. I've been virtually knocked off my feet all of December with some sort of flare-up. Every time I am just amazed because on a daily basis I struggle but these flare-ups on top of the "norm" for me just leave me totally baffled. When this happens the physical pain tries to attach to the emotional pain which in turn worsens the physical pain. I simply cannot understand the fatigue, the feeling of being a rag doll, of trying to do my exercises and feeling as though I'm being stretched on a wrack and tortured. Of having to think really hard before moving, as though the brain must work really hard to tell the body part to move.

What blows my mind is thinking it can't get worse and knowing it can and knowing it will lessen back to the "norm" for me again but wondering if it will.

(((hugs)))

... Zoe ~ said...

I haven't read her book but I have her blog on my blogroll and her video site is there too on my sidebar. I use to pop in to her Wisdom Commons site as well.

I'm wonder, that quote she mentions "physical" pain. Was she speaking of physical pain specifically or was that part of a bigger pain? In other words, the whole ball of wax. Mental/emotional/physical . . . a mind/body connect or disconnect depending on how you look at it? I ask because one could insert into this quote snippet the word "emotional" or "mental" and the quote would still ring true to me.

I'm saving the quote. Might be a blog post. Need time to ponder.

April Griffiths said...

Carol, I wish I could take your pain away! I don't have the physical pain issues you deal with and I can't imagine what you & those w/ chronic pain go through. I had the plantar fasciitis and was not able to walk without pain, but over time and PT I got over it. (it's still there, but doesn't bother me if i stretch, etc.) I can't imagine living every day realizing the pain might not ever go away... ((Hugs))

You know I love you and hope only good for you. I was so thrilled for you when you had those pain free days, I hope that the new meds will help, but as you mentioned, maybe it's not going to make a difference? I sure wish you could take NSAIDs!! Ibuprofen has been my miracle drug, for me it's better than prescriptions like Vicodin. If I wouldn't be able to take them, it would not be pretty. I've had to deal w/ pain issues, but nothing, nothing like yours and Bruce's !!

Hang in there. I love you!
April XXOO

oneperson said...

So well stated, Zoe.

"... thinking it can't get worse and knowing it can and knowing it will lessen back to the "norm" for me again but wondering if it will." It can be maddening.

The fatigue...I don't know if anyone can grasp it unless they've experienced it day in and day out. My fatigue is doing much better in the past month and for that I'm thankful. But, the months it was so bad, after I'd bathe, I'd lay on the bed and say, "I have to recover from my bath." *chuckle* Just to bathe would take so much energy...or to dress. I'd have to rest afterwards... so I started trying to keep a lighthearted perspective when I could.

I think it's not unusual for a person suffering with chronic illness to self-blame. A person does all they know to do within reason to address the illness/symptom...things that are *supposed* to work but aren't working. "I must be the problem because this studies show that this remedy gives relief; what is wrong with me that I don't respond. I must be doing something wrong." It can become a vicious cycle.

You inquired earlier about Valerie's quote. Her quote is in the context of physical pain, but (like you and others I'm sure) I also think of mental and emotional pain. All can be paralyzing.

I hope your flare-up subsides soon.

Hugs backatcha...
(((<3)))

oneperson said...

Thanks April!

And thanks for your ever-listening ear.

Yeah...the pain that never goes away. It wears on a body...physically and mentally. Sleep can help a person deal with the ever-present pain, but it's not unusual for the pain to be worse during sleep in illnesses like peripheral neuropathy and fibromyalgia.

Currently, I can sleep without much pain. But I recall vividly (before the long-term prednisone I'm still on) dreading trying to go to sleep. I'd bang my arms on the bed trying to get the shooting electrical pain to "just stop damn it!" There is a medical(?) term for that banging the arms... but I can't currently recall or find it or a google search.

Again, the pain I deal with is nothing compared to others I've read about. And I can now sleep most of the time. I don't know what will happen in January/February when I want to go completely off the prednisone to access where I am. I get nervous at the thought, but I will be prepared and have a course of action to take...just in case.

I still keep hope in sight that something is going to work, and I can be able to backpack my dream...or at least adapt another dream to bike or hike.

I love you too!
xoxo

oneperson said...

As my manner is, I'm now feeling self conscious about some of my replies. *sigh* I'm not sure of all the reasons why, and maybe that's not important. I know the feeling will pass.

At least in part, I don't want to give the impression that I think my situation is unique among us humanoids. Even if I don't *know,* I do *think,* that people who have lived enough life *do* understand and can relate to pain and fatigue; even if they have had the unusual good fortune of good health most of their lives.

There is much for which to be thankful.

Thanks again for the comments...
<3