December 12, 2013

Love

non-subjecct: pain
aww ~ 12/11/13
****

Mom's rheumatologist's name was Dr. Payne.
Her final psychiatrist's name was Dr. Downs.
Sometimes she'd joke about the irony of their names.

Before Dr. Downs, she saw a psychiatrist whose name was Dr. Kim.

When I was hospitalized at Catawba Memorial Hospital after swallowing jimson seeds, Dr. Kim was my attending physician whom I only remember meeting after the affect of the jimson plant had worn off. I had been admitted to ICU on a Tuesday and hallucinated through sometime Friday. On Friday an antidote to the jimson was administered and I was able to sleep. When I awoke sometime Saturday, I looked around the ICU room. I was able to identify objects that my mind had warped into roaches and witch doctors and people and castles and arm casts and an aquarium and the passageway to the outside world beyond the hallucinatory asylum wherein my mind and body were trapped for four days.

I was released from ICU on Saturday or Sunday and was admitted to a regular hospital floor but not to the psychiatric floor. That's when I remember meeting Dr. Kim for the first time, though I must have met him in my hallucinatory state. I was puzzled as to why I was kept in the hospital for a one week observation; I felt perfectly fine. Each day for that week I would arise and dress in street clothes and take walks, including walks outside around the building and in the patio area of the hospital. My plastic bracelet identified me as a patient. I was fifteen years old.

I didn't see Dr. Kim again until sometime in my thirties. My brother and I went together for a consult with Dr. Kim concerning Mom after she had lapsed into a series of severe bipolar episodes. I wonder if Dr. Kim remembered who I was; I certainly didn't bring up what had happened some fifteen-plus years previously. My brother did most of the talking at the consultation about Mom.

Those were hard years, the years after Dad's wreck that left him paralyzed with quadriplegia. Mom became a wreck. In many ways caring for Dad was easier than maneuvering through Mom's mania and depression.

Yet, what a strong woman Mom was. She cared for Dad almost the full thirteen years of his quadriplegia. Day in and day out. Bathing Dad; dressing Dad; changing his condom catheter; making sure his bowels moved; cutting his food; holding his drinking glass so he could drink from the straw; lifting Dad from his bed with the Hoyer Lift and then swinging him around and lowering him into his wheelchair and then positioning him so he could sit comfortably. All the various details of life. Buttons; zippers; hygiene. Day in and day out.

Mom was the one who found a used camper for sale and had it set up at Green Mountain Resort in Lenoir about 45 minutes from the home place. All Dad's equipment had to be hauled along so Mom could dress and lift and feed and care for Dad. Mom would drive herself and Dad in the converted cargo van and spend multiple nights at the camper. Mom bought Dad the wooden card holder so they could invite friends over and Dad could play bridge.

Mom couldn't give up caring for Dad, and it drove her to extremes. But she loved him, probably doing more than most people would do in a similar situation. She couldn't bring herself to have Dad admitted long term in a care facility.

And Dad, he too was a trooper. He would cry from time to time. He probably cried much more in private; tears that others never witnessed.

****

Added note: Home health did come by three days a week in the mornings for some of the years. My brother and I lived close by and also helped in the care of Dad. My sister lived out of state and would help whenever she came to visit. But Mom was the one who was always there, and she carried most of the burden. It was a labor of love.

6 comments:

... Zoe ~ said...

So many heavy burdens.

As a young nurse I cared for men (I can't remember a single quad or para for that matter that was a woman. They were all men.) Beside the point. What I know is the work as a nurse was labor intensive and I have some concept of the amount of care it took for your mom to do what she did . . . and all that with bi-polar. The mind boggles.

Love gives us the ability to do what often seems the impossible.

oneperson said...

They were hard years.

I've never thought about that..as far as men compared to women and quadriplegia. I don't recall ever seeing a female either.

Nurses are some of the angels of the world...and that's Zoe too. <3

I awoke a few minutes ago and had the thought, "Carol, you should probably add that Mom did have help from you and your brother and sometimes home health." So I came right to the computer to put this blog piece in draft and work in that added information later. I think I'll just add a note. But still, it was Mom who carried most of that burden; it was a labor of love.

BTW, I'm not ignoring the other comment(s). I'm just busy; plus my wireless at home is acting up...so my computer time is less.

Thank you Zoe!
<3

Anna Maria said...

This wonderful story of love and caring goes to show that by-polar isn't a "death" sentence. My brother and his daughter were diagnosed with it in their 20's and after being properly medicated, were able to live fairly normal lives. He worked until he retired and she is still teaching at a junior high with two bright children of her own.

I do have a woman friend who became a quadriplegic after a car wreck and was told she would be helpless the rest of her life. But after years of intense rehab, she is now able to drive a special equipped van again, even though she can't walk and needs round the clock health care providers.

Your story proves what wonders can be accomplished no matter what affliction one might have to deal with.

Anonymous said...

These are the nicest things I have ever heard you write about your mom. It is interesting how age gives us a different perspective on our parents and others.

SP

oneperson said...

Thank you Anna!

So glad to read that your siblings were/are able to live productive and fulfilling lives. I've read quite a few books regarding bipolar and/or other mental health challenges...books that inspire hope to keep moving...however small the steps may seem.

I'm sure your friend with quadriplegia must be a great inspiration to all who have witnessed her tenacity to keep on keepin' on.

<3

oneperson said...

Thanks SP.

Yeah, like all of us, Mom had her dark and bright sides. With Mom ( like others) the distance between the two were sometimes extreme.

Yes, hopefully we all gain more insight and perspective and understanding as we age.

Thanks again...
<3