December 16, 2016

Dream-time Body-speak (Part Two)

One of my online blogging friends was in another dream. In real life, like me, this friend suffers with chronic pain and illness. In real life, like me, they were once a committed true believer in a fundamentalist Bible doctrine. They slowly deconverted to atheism/agnosticism, I to agnosticism.

In my dream my friend was in our king size bed with my husband and I. There was nothing sexual about the arrangement; we were simply sleeping. The friend had a 5-year old child with them. The next moment the friend and child and I were instantly in the woods beside a mountain creek with rushing water over rocks surrounded by laurels. I was taking them to a path. I don't know where the path led, but it was the path they needed to get where they were going.

In another dream the main toilet in our home was leaking. At first when I entered the bathroom, I thought the leak was coming from the handle. But it was coming from the wall behind the toilet, about 1-1/2 feet up. Like in our real-life bathroom the wall was painted in a textured slate-cobalt blue. In my dream, I was thinking of putting a container below the leak to catch the water, but then more leaks appeared as fissures formed in the wall behind the toilet. I felt frantic. There was no way I could catch all the water. I thought, I have to call Fix-It Man and tell him this needs to be fixed first, before anything else. In real life Fix-It Man was coming to our house in a few days to fix another toilet, the one in the textured sunflower-yellow bathroom. In real life Fix-It Man and I had served together in The Way. He left in the late 1980s, I in the mid-2000s.

~*~

When I was a Way believer, I mostly dismissed sleep-dreams. I recall being taught that ongoing dreams were an indication that I'm not renewing my mind well. Or, at worst, devil spirits were trying to influence and maybe possess me. Dreams could also be just flippant convolutions from current life events. Dreamless sleep, or at least sleep where I couldn't recall my dreams, was the best, an indicator of a well-renewed mind - one more unrelenting standard to feed my defective self-image as a below-par believer.

So, for the most part, I did not try to understand my dreams or what my body and mind might be trying to communicate with me - until my last 6 or so years in The Way when I began to have dreams that were so vivid, and often repetitive, that I simply couldn't ignore them.

The dreams in my final Way years - as I was going through the grueling and ambivalent process of cognitive dissonance with Way doctrine and my own life experiences, with doubts about the organization of The Way, the so-called "household of God" which was the only place that taught the true accuracy of the inerrant Word of God - coincided with a time when my body was ridding itself of toxic levels of mercury after almost two decades of chronic illness.

I feel deeply that my body and soul were going through "healing responses." I prefer the term "healing response" to "healing crisis."

Often there were houses in those dreams, houses with lots of bathrooms and water. Most of the houses were huge, and I was continually discovering another level to explore. In part, this mirrored what was happening in my life at that time. I came to look forward to the dreams. I felt (and still feel), these dreams were my body/mind/soul's attempt to help heal itself, to help put into some type of representative images my struggles at the time, and to remind me that my body/mind/soul was working through them.

I don't believe in "dream interpretations" from others. I do think we can  intuitively so-call "interpret" our own dreams and that we can often(?) receive insight into what may possibly be going on at a deeper level. I don't think it is a supernatural process anymore than eyesight or the immune system or circulatory system or any other incredible function our bodies perform.

These recent dreams. Could they be indicating that my body is actually able to heal itself now, now that the antagonist-hip has been removed and the cobalt-and-chromium metal-leech stopped?

~*~

A couple nights ago I dreamed I went hiking in New Zealand with my son and another ex-Way believer. It was a fun dream. I'd love to go hiking in New Zealand. I'd love to be able to hike, period.

~*~

Dream-time Body-speak (Part One)
Dream-time Body-speak (Part Two)

~*~

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if that was me in bed with you two it's obvious we're there because we need the sleep! *giggle* Not saying it was me of course. But the rest of that dream, the 5 year old, your friend, the woods, the creek, the water, the mountains . . . a path they needed, wow, sure fits. Hope you don't mind me co-opting your dream. ;)

And the toilet dream. Oh my word I have had so many of those dreams with toilets, and bathrooms, and bathroom stalls. The toilet is overflowing but I have to go. I will spare you the details. For me they usually occur when all that is within is overflowing.

Had a dream last night where I was getting married. Strangest dream. By tomorrow I probably will have forgotten it but for now it is entertaining.

The most common dreams I had throughout and up until about a decade ago were in houses, parts of houses, very often basements. As well, they involved me being chased with intent to kill me, and me evading death. As well, if others were present I'd be looking to save them. Get them to a safe place in the house. Often airplanes as well. Crashing airplanes. Only once in my life did I see one actually crash in front of me but all the others did crash just out of my sight. And the one over-arching constant dream was tornadoes. Then around age 50 I started in these dreams to stand and confront them. The tornado dreams went away.

I'm with you in that I probably couldn't allow anyone else to interpret my dreams. I can't even say that I do. What I do know is they very much speak to me about past and current events.

oneperson said...

:D

Not co-opting at all. You're guess is correct. It was you in the dream. I didn't want to write your name in the blog piece; it just felt too exposing or something. My thought process of course went into deep analysis...should or shouldn't I share this on my blog without stating who it is and should I let Zoe know before I post and "I think Zoe is atheist, more so than she is agnostic? Maybe I can get around to emailing her at some point and asking her and letting her know I posted this" and on-and-on ...

Oh lordie. No rest for the weary. lol

Interesting that you too have lots of water/bathroom/toilet dreams, interesting because of the similar life-experiences we share. I wonder if those type dreams are common in our 'life-experiences-genre'? Interesting too about the house-dreams; those may be very common for folks who live in houses. :D

It's been a decadeish since I've had dreams as vivid as I've had recently. It's definitely caught my attention. I've had a couple more vivid ones in the past few days.

I'm still having a rough go. This surgery just really threw me for a loop, physically and mentally and emotionally. I've never "broken down" in front of my neurologist until last week. I was crying and crying and saying, "I just want it to end. I'm so tired of trying. So tired..." He was kind and encouraging. (I got my yearly nerve conduction tests last week. The tests show no improvement from last year, but the improvement I made last year is holding; ie: I'm not getting worse. He was extremely encouraged which did help me feel better. I had started crying before we had the test results, so it wasn't the results that triggered the tears.)

I saw my GP a couple days later. I didn't break down there, but we had a really good in-depth talk. She helped me feel better about myself. She gave me 'extraordinary' (I think that was the word) credit for how I've managed the past 5-1/2 years.

I'm considering hiring a therapist (which I've thought about on and off for a couple years but more so lately). I've been thinking I might need a face-to-face human I can unload on weekly for awhile, instead of reverberating off the walls in my home or pages of my journals/computer. But I counter the maybe-hire-a-therapist thought with thoughts questioning how much would it really help me and spending yet more money on my health and what if I get somebody crazy (like Knapp) and blah, blah, blah...and it feels like such a daunting task.

I partially started back to work with pet-sitting this week, though I'm still officially closed until the end of March. I picked up my blind-dog friend this morning. He'll be around for over a week. It's nice to have a companion, my "able-differently comrade." Perhaps the pet-therapy will give me a sufficient boost.

I am so missing warmer weather and my Greenway biking. In the past week I've told myself, "I just gotta make it through winter..."

Thanks for sharing Zoe. <3

Much love to you and yours...

Anonymous said...

I often have dreams, too. They seem to combine pieces of what is going on in my life at the time, coupled with unresolved stuff from the past ... and actually are one of the stated side effects of more than one of my medicines .... so I just go with the flow and enjoy them ... rarely are they nightmarish ... perhaps one in a thousand or less ... but when they are, it is usually because something nightmarish is going on in real life.

For me, toilets in my dream (and in my late sister's dreams) were often sealed with plastic when we got to them, so we could not use them ... or in some other way impaired. Sometimes lakes and ponds were involved .. but for us, all those things seemed to signal our subconscious mind that it was time to get up and go pee ...

The Way was wrong about dreams ... surprise, surprise!

SP

Denise said...

My fav part: "I don't believe in "dream interpretations" from others. I do think we can intuitively so-call "interpret" our own dreams and that we can often(?) receive insight into what may possibly be going on at a deeper level." Oh yes. Truth.

oneperson said...

Thanks SP and Denise!

I wonder if there is a toilet dreams anonymous. haha



Anonymous said...

A "toilet dreams anonymous" oh that would be something . . . well until the details started to gross us out. ;)

Well what can I say. When I read your post I chuckled and thought that could be me. *giggle*

Agnostic, atheist, post-Christian, former Christian, not-seeking religious belief systems, non-supernaturalist, non-theist, secular (separation of church and state), humanist, naturalist . . . old lady in blue jeans . . . all those work for me. I'm very dogmatic when it comes to my blue jeans. :)

Thinking of you this morning. (((hugs))) <3

oneperson said...

I figured I was in the ball park with atheist. But I think I'll change it to atheist/agnostic...unless you object. :)

I had a dream last night about a decorative cobalt and black rectangular box. Must have been 8 inches long by 3 inches wide and 6 inches deep. It had something to do with circulating water inside of it. But the box was opaque and there was no lid to open it so I couldn't see inside the box.

In the dream I thought, "Where should I put this?"
I answered myself: "Oh, I'll put it on the back of the toilet under the area where the fissures on the wall formed in that other dream. I'll have to tell SP and Zoe." And I laughed in the dream.

And I laughed again in waking life this morning when I recalled the dream, about a dream. :D

Thanks for the thoughts...backatcha.... ((( <3 )))

Anonymous said...

I don't object.

That is a cool dream about your other dream. <3

oneperson said...

Thanks Zoe. :)