May 28, 2010

Will Gnats Evolve?

******************
As I was on my final hike of my AT backpacking debut, I came upon gnats.  

They hadn't been a problem in the previous 69 miles.  But as I descended toward Watauga Lake in Tennessee, where people are known to hang out as well, the tiny flying creatures appeared.  I don't like gnats in my eyes. Don't they know by now that by flying into mammal eyes they end their lives?  It would seem, by now, that their DNA would have evolved with an imprint to avoid such danger.  That of human eyes.

Imagine how very tiny a gnat's organs are. Miniscule. Yet complex. Amazing.

Amazing. Enthralling. Life changing.  Not gnats' organs. But rather hiking the AT. What an incredible experience.  And I only hiked 71 miles!  

The thru-hikers are a breed of their own.  Hiking 15 to 20 miles a day by latter May, most having left Springer Mountain, Georgia, back in late March or early April. Some left as late as May.  They get their hiking legs after about 3 weeks or so.  Or after about 300 miles.

My average was 7 miles a day. Ha! Son called me Pokey. My longest day was over 11 miles and my shortest day was 3 miles.  The three-miler was my first day on the trail over all the rocks beginning at Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands, Virginia. My pack weighed 44.5 pounds. Oh my god! Never again!!  (I hope I don't eat those words). I lightened the pack to 39 pounds once I got to Damascus. Still I'm gonna get it lighter. Yuppers.

So much to write. The Hiker's Inn. Shelter nights.Buzzard Rock. Rain. Elk Garden. Nights alone in the woods. Jim & Chris & Frank. Whodat (Ryan). Peter Burns with the boys. FAA retired gentleman who hit the trail some 5 days after retirement. Cliff. Sweet Tea (Georgia). The 82-year old thru-hiker. The guys from Savannah: "Mile quota down; smile quota up!" Seth & Chris, the physical therapists. Galilee Man. Slack packing. PUD. Taco the chihuahua, trail named Yellow Blazer. The man from New Zealand who gave me water. The folks from Texas who gave me water. Trail angels. The nights alone in the woods. The birds, so many birds. The achy feet. Tingy the dog who joined me for a few miles. Adam. McGyver. Ynot (Tony). Eddie from Lexington. 

Yes, there are definitely more males than females on the trail.

Tears. Gratitude. Appreciation. Missing my hubby and family.

So very aware of my physique. My body. My feet. My legs. 

So much to write about my little excursion that I'm sure I'll never get written. The material senses are limited when painting experience, but perhaps some will contour images in scribblings. 

And oh yes!  I shall do another excursion, probably mid to latter June.  A shorter version, as I can't take two weeks off work again.

Trail magic. It is very real.
********************

4 comments:

April Galamin said...

It sounds like another world. :)

Glad you had a great experience!!

oneperson said...

Thanks April!!

Ain't freedom great!!

Love you BUNCHES...

Linda Shell :) said...

Just knats? No skeeters?

oneperson said...

:-D

Do you know that children's song 'bout skeeters?

*itchy, itchy, scratchy, scratchy...oooo I got one down my backie*

Here it is,though I learned it differently. Probably 1000 versions...

Flee.
Flee Fly.
Flee Fly Mosquito.
Kum a la, kum a la, kum a la vee sta.
Oh no, no not the vee sta.
Calamine, Calamine, Calamine Lotion
Oh, no more calamine lotion
Itchy, Itchy
Scratchy, Scratchy
Got one down my backy backy
EEK! Goes the bugs when you get 'em with the bug spray!
EEK! Goes the bugs when you get 'em with the bug spray!
SHHHHH!!!