May 13, 2010

Scientific Studies: TMO's sacred doctrine over person?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

What is on my mind this May night soon to be mid night.  By the time I click "publish post" a new day will have probably begun, though it will still be dark awaiting dawn.  

The dawn of sunlight. Dew mist across green sprouts.  Lilies open their cups. Spiders awaken to spin.

This time next week I will be among the crickets, but without a cyber screen. Instead I'll have screen-type webbing that hopefully will be allowing night breezes in.  That is hopefully the skies will not be crying. Teardrops from clouds to drip upon my small tent as I lie sleeping in my bag upon my pad, resting my by-then weary-sore feet.

Josh looked up the weather forecast for next week, on the trail.  The high is low 60's with rain. I laugh. What a grand way to start our hike.

I haven't walked with my pack the past few days. Life became busy. Today I suffered with my menstrual migraine, always an unwelcome guest.  My comforting thought is that at least I'll have the worst of it (hormonal difficulty) out of the way before the hike. I'll probably get a mild flare-up one or two days along my trek. Thus I am prepared for such.

I've been tweeting quite a few links regarding Transcendental Meditation. I am not fond of some of the attitudes of Transcendental Meditation Organization loyalists who insist that no one, absolutely no one, has adverse effects from meditating.  

A former TMO initiator allowed his responses to the new film "David Wants to Fly" to be posted online. The former initiator wants to remain anonymous. I read various responses to his response this afternoon.

Some people ridicule his response. Others agree with him. Some agree with part and disagree with part.  Hopefully and perhaps most people fall in the latter of those three categories.

Some appear to possess a desire to analyze his response as if it were absolute. They seem to want to pick it apart, to prove it true or untrue. Yet his response is neither 'right' or 'wrong' in a moral or even factual sense. How the film affected him, in the sense of his own life experiences as opposed to others, is ultimately his and his alone. It is true for him.  Someone else's interpretation is true for them.   

I think again of something I wrote some months ago about subjective and objective realities.  Both are true for the person who lives them, the impact each reality has upon that individual's life.

I got to thinking about Far Eastern thought being mixed with Western science. I thought of it in regard to how TMO loyalists constantly, and I mean constantly (at least from my experience), bring up the almighty (my term) "scientific studies."  It's like the scientific studies are what they worship, much like fundamentalist Christians worship the written "Word."  The doctrine prevails over the person.  In the case of the scientific studies, the linear results of said guinea persons prevail over another person's (or even the tested person's) differing experience(s).

It is still a type of doctrine over person.

And yet, I thought Eastern thought is supposedly less linear than Western?  Perhaps that ain't so.

And perhaps I'm wrong to not put so much absolute faith in Western science.  

I know my own healing and physical wellness comes about by listening to my own intuitive guidance, regardless of Western linear studies. Yes I utilize Western (conventional) methods. I utilize "alternative" (non-conventional) methods, even homeopathy and EFT. I endeavor (and think I do an o.k. job) to balance both conventional and non-conventional with an intuitive sense of what I feel will help me.

I much prefer HeartMath's model and approach regarding coherence over the Transcendental Mediation Organization's model.

But then, I'm only a mom in the laboratory of life. Without wires. Without test tubes. Without the proper Western scientific gadgets to prove what works for me. 

I think of Claire almost every week.  Just another thought that goes through my mind.

The end, regarding some of my thoughts on this May evening, almost mid night.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

3 comments:

Gina said...

Thoughtfully stated. Thank you!
g :)

oneperson said...

Thanks Gina!

I'm glad it came out at least somewhat coherent.

To life!
~carol :-)

oneperson said...

I just read a quote, which reminded me of this blog entry: "When the bird and the book disagree, always believe the bird."