August 19, 2013

"Where does the fire go when the flame goes out?"

I wonder if I'll click "publish" with this piece I am typing at the moment?

I wonder what will come off my keyboard?

I wonder if I will edit and re-edit until I kill whatever letters and words manifest?

"Campfires" presented in my previous post.

I immediately thought of "night-owls," which were informal nighttime Way gatherings for reflection and prayer and peaceful songs.  I used to love night owls and the warm, fuzzy feeling I got as I sat around the campfire and sang Got Any Rivers with the saints; as I listened to "Dr." Wierwille "share his heart" about God and His Word and how people are to be loved, never used; as I listened to other believers speaking as God "led" them to share; as the believers would "bring forth" speaking in tongues with interpretation and prophecy; as we would pray "lifting" individual needs and the needs of our country; as I would feel the woods nearby the campfire - the cool of the air as I sat warmed and cozy among the saints. Gratitude and security often filled my heart knowing I was in the Household of God and that the truth would always guard my heart and that I was called and chosen to bring the accuracy of God's love and light to the world - not being of the world but living in the world as a son of God. In The Way, "son" of God was used interchangeably to also mean "daughter" of God.

After my thoughts regarding "night-owls," I thought of campfires in general, outside the context of The Way; the yellow and orange with occasional blue flames that arise from the logs as I watch the flames dance and the burning logs crackle and spark; the aroma of timber being changed to fuel for heat and light and comfort; the stillness of the night with wildlife at bay and perhaps fearfully or curiously peering from a distance at the hypnotic flames.

When backpacking I don't build a fire, or at least I haven't yet. I'm always too busy with other things at the end of the day - setting up camp for the night, preparing food, hanging my food from a tree, tending to hygienic needs, settling in for the night as I lay and listen to the night sounds echoing outside my tent. Plus I don't want to have to use my precious filtered water to douse a flame, even if there might be a nearby water source.

When Son was around four years old he asked, "Where does the fire go when the flame goes out?"

I don't recall if Hubby or I even tried to answer that question.


2 comments:

Anna Maria said...

I love campfires, or at least outdoor fires surrounded by family or loved ones. There is something very peaceful about them. The question your son asked made me think of some of the eternal flames, the one in Greece that keeps the Olympic spirit burning always, or the one I contemplated in Arlington National Cemetery Jacqueline had placed on John F. Kennedy's grave in hopes his spirit would never die. There is something quite magical about fire. It can do great damage...or it can inspire.

oneperson said...

I agree Anna...Fire is quite magical, even within the small flame of a candle.

I've recently thought about using my oil lamps again, in lieu of electric lights at night. I may just do that.