March 7, 2014

On my way home from the dentist... (part one)


I sat in my 1999 gray Ford Explorer in the parking space at Kentucky Fried Chicken. I stared at the large windows of the small restaurant, at the signs advertising the current specials.

Why would I even eat here and support a place like KFC? The chickens are probably treated poorly; why would I even eat here? Plus I'm not really that hungry. But I'd like a piece of crispy chicken; it's been awhile since I've eaten crispy chicken. I could get some slaw and a piece of corn on the cob with the chicken. If I can't eat it all, I can take the left overs home. But if I go home instead of eating out I can save some money. I'll be spending money Friday at a restaurant when my sister comes through town.

It was 5:00 PM. Cars in their commute home at the end of the American work day whizzed in a steady stream along the busy five-lane road behind me. I sat in my Explorer contemplating whether or not to enter the KFC. As I sat, awaiting my decision, I perused information on my iPhone...Facebook, blog stats, email. Nothing of importance. I reread a blog piece entitled Ramblings of an apathetic mind that I had written earlier in the day.

I ordered a two piece meal - a crispy chicken breast and a grilled wing with corn on the cob and slaw. I got water to drink.

"Is that for here or to go?" the young counter waitress asked with a smile.

"I'd like it to go. But could I also get a plate? I'll eat some here and take some home."

She arranged my food on the disposable plate which sat on the brown tray. She gave me a box for any leftovers and handed me an empty cup for water.

I chose a small two-seater table in the middle of the restaurant; I was the only customer. I sat in the chair facing the large windows. I could see the parking lot and my Explorer and the busy five-lane road with whizzing cars. Country music played through the restaurant speakers.

I chose to eat my crispy chicken breast first. I stared out the window as the country twang entered my ears.

After a few moments, a man walked through the parking lot pulling a small black suitcase on wheels. He was carrying a fully stuffed blue tote bag and a a large sleeping roll. He had on a cream colored knit hat with two flaps that covered his ears; a couple of tie-strands hung down from each side of the hat. He looked cold, though the weather out today was in the 50s.

I wonder if he is homeless? Maybe; maybe not. He may have chosen walking as his mode of travel.

I thought about the financial deposits I'd made in my and Hubby's bank accounts earlier that day. Our middle class savings are meager compared to the wealthy and a fortune compared to the poor.

I didn't pay much attention when the traveler came in the side door to my left. He chose a booth over my left shoulder a couple aisles away in the corner next to the solid brick wall.

I continued eating my crispy coated chicken breast. I hadn't yet touched the corn or slaw or grilled wing. I looked at the three untouched items thinking about how much I like corn on the cob. I'd take the untouched food home...unless this man was homeless, in which case I'd give the food to him.

I glanced over at the corner booth. The man had taken off his coat and was looking for something in his tote bag. I wondered if he would retrieve a wallet. He kept his warm hat on. He still looked so chilled.

I finished eating my chicken breast and carefully packed the three untouched food items in the to-go box; the slaw in its separate to-go container, the corn on the cob wrapped in aluminum foil, and the grilled chicken breast which I placed in the kitchen parchment paper in the box. I included a black plastic spork with some napkins. With the box in hand, I walked over to the booth.

****
On my way home from the dentist... (part one)
On my way home from the dentist... (part two)
On my way home from the dentist... (part three)
On my way home from the dentist... (part four)
****

No comments: