September 29, 2015

Try again? "Hello out there..."

This past Sunday, I rolled down my window and gave a shout out.
(Meaning, I published a blog post on toss & ripple.)

I wanted the whole world to hear, so I allowed GPS satellites to find me.
(Meaning, I enabled search engines on toss & ripple.)

And then, within fiveish minutes, I rolled up that window real quick-like and locked the door.
(Meaning, the post went into draft and I disabled search engines.)

On Monday, I asked myself, "What was that all about? Why did you de-post?"
"I'm not yet ready to come out and play," was the answer.
"Well, just because you post a blog piece does not obligate you to 'come out and play.'"

Ha! ;)

Below is a longer rendition of what I posted Sunday.

***
September 27, 2015

It's been over four months since I've published a blog piece.

I have thought about blogging.

I have thought about a lot of things.

"So Carol, what word could describe your Summer, 2015?"

Answer: "Dynamic."

Yes; dynamic and, actually, quite incredible.

Maybe...just maybe...this has been the best summer I've lived since the onset of nerve damage in Spring, 2011.

Between July 5 and September 9, 2015,  I bicycled around 420 miles. That's approximate because I didn't have the app yet on my phone to measure my mileage. (I had previously estimated 460, but after measuring with the app now on my phone, I think it was closer to 420.)

Four hundred miles in a 2-1/4-month time frame is not much for a cyclist.

But, it's quite a feat for an amateur cyclist with nerve damage in all her limbs. 

So how'd I end up being able to ride that far? 

On June 10, I began taking the Stanley Brothers Charlotte's Web hemp oil (CWHO). That subject deserves its own blog post...someday, maybe. Suffice it to say, the CWHO has been like a linchpin that has catalyzed, what feels like, my body under reconstruction.

Since five days after started the oil, the incredible overwhelming heaviness in my limbs began to lighten a bit. (And it has continued in that direction.  And now... that dark, deep hole is ... GONE!!!  That heaviness has been my worst symptom; it's panic inducing and indescribably horrible. And every 12-week cycle, I knew the heaviness would befall me around week 10; the dread would be overwhelming. I still have some heaviness, but not the earth-sucking nightmare.)

Then on June 29, I received my routine, regularly scheduled, 12-week lumbar steroid epidural and cervical-neck steroid shots.

My body's response to the 6/29-injections was like never before...
By July 5 I was riding my bike approximately 12 miles a day. I kept that up for 20 days in a row! I began to feel my leg muscles working; they were getting juice. I cannot describe the elation. The closest I can come is that it was like my limbs were having orgasms. And maybe they were!

After those 20 days, due to the injection-effects beginning to diminish (which is normal),  I had to cut back to around 6 miles a day. During the second week of September, I had to stop cycling.

And, there's the recent blood work results...
In latter July, my blood work showed an abnormality; my vitamin B6 levels are toxic, which can cause nerve damage. So I have reduced my intake of seeds and nuts and fish, as much as reasonably possible. And I quit drinking a food supplement which was providing 5 mg/day of added pyridoxine (supplemental B6). I'd been drinking that supplement for over a decade. 

And, there's my yearly test results...
In August, I received my yearly electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction study (NCS) tests.  
As my neurologist read the computer monitor while needling me during the tests as my arms and legs jerked around in response, he slowly said, "Well, you've not progressed." 
Then he paused. 
Then he said, "Your improving..." 
Then he enthusiastically followed that with, "Just keep doing what your doing!" 
And I will! 


In 2013, I began receiving EMG & NCS tests, but my at-the-time-previously-undiagnosed-nerve-damage had begun in 2011.

In 2014, my EMG and NCS results showed that my condition was worsening, which was obvious by my worsening symptoms.

In August, 2015, my EMG and NCS results show I am not yet back to where I was in 2013, which still wasn't good. But I'm headed in that direction and maybe on my way out of the woods-of-horror. (Woods-of-horror is not an exaggeration.)

And, then came my next round of injections...
On September 21, around 4:30 PM, I received my routine, regularly scheduled, 12-week lumbar steroid epidural and cervical-neck steroid shots.

On September 22 around lunchtime, I began vomiting. By 5:30 I was at the emergency room. We finally got the vomit-fest under control. I got home after midnight and vomited a couple more times, the last being at 4:00 AM. Then I slept until noon on September 23 and woke up like the vomit-fest never happened, except that I'd lost 6 pounds.  I'm hoping the vomit-fest means that I really am getting well and the medicine in the injections is now too strong. I see the neurologist again next week.

(I typically lose 2 to 4 pounds when I get my injections. Of those, I gain back most or all as the next round of injections approaches. That said, I've lost over 25 pounds this past year due to muscle loss and due to appetite suppression. Appetite suppression is another symptom of B6 toxicity. It is also a side effect of one of my medications, generic Plaquenil, which I began taking early January, 2015.)

And in the midst of all that, there is the physical and occupational therapy story and my improved strength test results. That too deserves its own blog post...someday, maybe.

I want to believe this is really real, and I hope it is. 

I hope it is. 

I hope it is.

I'm ready to get back to biking, but we are in the midst of a week-long stretch of rain.

I haven't set a mileage cycling goal for this 12 weeks, but I'm thinking maybe 800 miles? Maybe? (I later changed that from 800 to 600.)

Until then...
"I will dance in the rain and let my dreams know I haven't forgotten them..."

Hello out there!

xoxo

***
One more thing. My son hitchhiked and backpacked Iceland for 52 days this summer. Oh my the stories!

Dudes in Iceland. Son is 2nd from left.
Trekking pole selfie-stick. Son is far left, front.
A glacier in the Highlands. Son is far right.


18 comments:

oneperson said...

Alright.

I'm happy with this blog piece.

:)

Bruce Gerencser said...

Hello, and thanks for sharing the update! 😀

oneperson said...

Thanks Bruce.

I just took a quick gander at your blog.

I watched Forrest Gump Sunday night. I sure wish life really did happen the Forrest way.

Much love to you and yours...you are much in thought... <3

oneperson said...

I got to really thinking about the math for that 800-mile possible goal I mention in my post.

I think I'll change that to 600...which may then go to 500...which may then go to "I'll just ride 'til I'm done and whatever the miles are, there they are!" :D

Zoe said...

I saw that you had posted and then took it down. :)

Such wonderful news about your summer. Thanks for sharing. I agree: "I hope it is."

Do you have an indoor exercise bike for winter? :)

oneperson said...

Hey Zoe!

Thanks for reading and keeping up with me. ;D I thought about emailing you, but just didn't have the energy to put there. So I sent vibes! lol

An indoor bike has been a discussion. I do not have one. So, I'm not sure what I'll do January and February. Those are usually our coldest months when snow might happen.

I've been thinking though that I'll invest in some 'real' bike clothes, including for inclement weather.

Another change that happened beginning late July was that biking became another pain-relief tool. I started having a 'new' type pain...like tiny little hammers chipping away in my limbs. It was a bone-type ache. It made me feel like a butterfly trying to escape a cocoon, or a chick in an egg shell pecking her way out.

But as my manner has been, I made myself ride my bike anyway ... and lo and behold ... about 10 minutes into the ride, that hammering pain subsided. That had not happened before. It was great motivation to ride!

Time and energy allowing, I hope to get around and be able to spend time at a few blogs (like yours) over the next week or so. Please know I think of you regularly! <3

So good to hear from you!

Anna Maria said...

So happy you have been able to do so much biking and pray you continue to improve Carol. Your son's hike was amazing! I get lower lumbar steroid injections every three or four months as needed and have had no side effects I attribute to them other than instant pain relief for a few months. I wish they did suppress my appetite. I still have trouble pushing away from the table but am taking long morning and evening walks which make me feel better all over. Great to read you again and hope you continue to blog. Maybe it will give me some inspiration to update mine more often. :) Hugs!

oneperson said...

Thank you Anna!

Yay for pain relief! And yay for long walks. And yay for good food too! ;D

Your blog is one that I want to visit and catch up a bit.

As always, it's wonderful to hear from you... <3
xoxo

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news to hear, Carol! Keep up the good work.

SP

oneperson said...

Thank you SP!

oneperson said...

At the moment, I am typing up notes for my neurology appointment this afternoon.

Thought I'd share part of my notes here. And part of me feels a twinge of guilt that I might be getting well. *sigh* I got get rid of that guilt-crap, or at least manage around it like a river around and over a rock.

My note-snippet is below.

****
Since my 9/21/15 injections:

I'm only on 1-1/4 mg/day of Prednisone!!!!!!!!! I've been on Prednisone daily since July, 2011. I've never been able to get below 2.5 mg, even with the steroid injections. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Can you tell I'm a bit excited?)

I am able to LIFT MY ARMS normally!!! That hasn't happened since at least July, 2013.

On 10/06, I was able to STAND ON MY PEDALS AND RIDE MY BIKE up at least 4 hills/inclines!!!! I've not been able to stand and ride (especially up hills) since at least Fall, 2012!

On 10/07, I CLAPPED MY HANDS!!! I got so excited!! I've not been able to clap my hands since at least Fall, 2012. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I can confidently say that I feel the most 'normal' that I've felt since the onset in Spring, 2011. I don't want to stop moving my arms and legs. I'm addicted to movement! lol

I'm SO EXCITED THAT I MIGHT ACTUALLY BE GETTING WELL!!!!
I know I'm not out of the woods yet and I am tempering my excitement with the reality that this may not last or I may 'relapse' (though I know I'm not well enough yet to really say I can 'relapse') and that I'm still on steroids to manage things...but to just be able to hope again is HUGE and a bit scary. But I cry tears of joy almost every day now with each little 'new' thing I can do again...which are actually big things for me!
THANK YOU DR. [NEUROLOGIST] AND STAFF!!!!!!
*BIG applause, because I can!*
***
[end note-snippet]

Anonymous said...

So those were your vibes I sensed? ;)

Your biking made me think of my swimming which only lasted 10 days this year. But if given the chance I can quickly work my way to a mile. I have people look at me like I'm exaggerating because on land they can't begin to imagine me swimming. I an work through my pain when swimming and reach a point where it resolves and usually it's my breathing that puts a halt to it or I'd never get out of the pool. *grin* I think of you too. Was wondering if any of the recent flooding and devastation in the Carolina's affected you?

Anonymous said...

I'll clap too. :)

oneperson said...

Glad you received the vibes! :D More than once this summer, I thought about you and your swimming. So sorry you only got 10 days. :-(

Interesting about the breathing helping the pain. I wonder if that too plays into my biking, because I do start breathing harder.

My bike's name is Olivia. I will sometimes pet her, like a horse, and let her know what a great job she's doing! Hehe It really is like she's saved my life. Biking and being with the trees has become my joy.

We were very fortunate with the rain. Initially (I think the Wednesday before the big storms hit) we were looking at 11 to 14 inches of rain over a two day period. I thought, 'Well, our downstairs is going to flood and there's nothing we can do about it.' So I worked with my brain to accept the worst and made sure all my backpacking equipment was up high. lol Yeah....that's what I thought about saving...my backpacking stuff and my son's bike. That priority made me laugh out loud when I realized it.

But then on Thursday (I think) the storm to the southeast moved further east, and the storm to south moved further west (and mostly stayed south), and our little area only got around 4ish inches of rain. We were very fortunate, and we know it.

Thank you for asking...
And thanks for being you...
<3


oneperson said...

I heard you clapping! ;D

The neurologist was excited for me...and he clapped too!

My next epidural and shots are scheduled for December 14. And, the plan is, we'll reduce the strength of the medicine in the injections. He'll decide how much based on how I'm doing on December 14. Wouldn't it be something if I don't need the injections. Oh my!

Thanks again Zoe.
((( <3 )))

Stephanie Faris said...

Great job with the blog...and congratulations on having such a productive, fun summer!

oneperson said...

Thank you Stephanie!

oneperson said...

I posted a blog piece yesterday with a health update buried in it. I'm copying and pasting that adapted snippet here as a comment, below.
***
My health is faring well comparatively.

Except that the nerve damage moved into the nape of my neck on the right side on 10/26/15. I don't feel like typing out the details which includes the pattern over the last few years. But it scared and scares me. I ended up at Dr. Neurologist 11/02 and got around 10 shots in my neck; it's 3 syringes, but around 10 pokes.
From 9/22 through 10/17, I was able to stay at 1.25 mg of daily prednisone and was able to function. That hasn't happened since July, 2011, when I started taking daily prednisone. (I had to increase my daily dose beginning 10/18/15 which is a typical pattern in my 12-week cycles.)

I was more social in October than I've been in the whole past year put together. It's time I back off again. And that's okay.

Between 9/24 and 10/24, I biked 243 miles over 23 different days. My goal was 600 miles this 12 weeks. But weather and now my neck condition and business workload are probably going to make that non-doable. And that's okay. It's been raining heavily again this week.

I can still pedal my bike standing up, and I can still clap my hands.

I'm still on tap for my lumbar epidural and more shots in the neck on December 14. But, I'll get less medicine in the doses. That upcoming round of injections is kind of scary too. I'll have to prepare a bit differently due to what happened last time, on 9/21.