December 23, 2015

Nerve-Damage Timeline Update: 11/10/15 - 12/23/15

On November 10, 2015, I posted a timeline of events since the onset of nerve damage in 2011.
Below, in bullet format, is an update to that timeline.
To read the full timeline, click here: Timeline since 2011 and the onset of nerve damage...

~~~

Timeline update: 11/10/15 - 12/23/15
  • On November 24, 2015, the nerve damage moved into my lower back and up my spine on both sides. It spread upward for about two weeks, stopping below my shoulder blades. I have not had shooting pain; but rather, lots of weakness and strain-type pains.
  • Around that same time (the week of November 23, 2015), which was post-epidural-week number nine, my overall symptoms worsened which is the normal pattern between epidurals. I was hoping that this routine pattern might not happen this round and that I would be able to at least delay the December 14th epidural. I was quite depressed with the increase of symptoms confirming that I would need that epidural. But, even with the increased symptoms, comparatively speaking, I guesstimate that I was still around 25% better compared to post-week nine in June, 2015, and probably 10% better compared to post-week nine in September, 2015. If not for the nerve damage spreading to my neck and back in October and November, 2015, I would have estimated that I was 40% better compared to June, 2015.
  • On December 10, 2015, my six-month Charlotte's Web™ Hemp Extract experiment which I began on June 10, 2015, was over. The improvement has been significant. So I will continue taking Charlotte's Web™ and assessing.
  • On December 14, 2015, I received my routine 12-week epidural. Due to my improvement since adding Charlotte's Web™ (CW) to my regimen and because my last epidural on 9/21/15 made me sick, my neurologist reduced the medication in my epidural by 50%. (That is HUGE!) Around March, 2015, I had asked the neurologist if we could increase the amount of medication in my epidural to maybe give me more and/or longer relief. He responded, "No. You are as high as you can go." And now, at the end of my six-month CW hemp extract experiment, that same medication which I had previously asked about increasing was decreased by 50%. It really is a big deal. December 14, 2015, was my 10th epidural since January, 2014.
  • How am I faring on the 50% reduction? I estimate that I'm receiving around 70% to 80% of the relief that I normally have by this time after my epidural. Not bad, since I had a 50% reduction in medication. I do miss the larger relief, and the comparative 70/80% relief has caused me some discouragement and depression. But, I'm handling that and adjusting and getting 'back on my game.' It will be interesting to see how I fare as the effects of this epidural wear off.
  • My next neurology appointment is on Monday, January 25, to get shots in my neck if I need them. My next epidural will probably be on Monday, March 7, 2016. 
~~~

Yesterday, 12/22/15, was a rough day, especially with my back weakness which is effecting my legs. 
I may write more about that later. 
I'm doing better today, 12/23/15.
I just have to keep working with my head.
Stay focused and grateful.
Listen to my music.
And remember to look up....

Looking up. Lochraven Drive. 12/22/15.


2 comments:

Becky Wiren said...

Have a Merry, low pain Christmas!!

oneperson said...

Ha!:)
Thanks Becky!
You too!
xoxo