September 15, 2016

The Wedge

Tuesday, 9/13, was a good day. After getting my 25 staples removed, I was able to shower. My last shower had been on Wednesday, 9/07. The warm water felt good; clean hair too. And my new tub transfer bench is comfortable and efficient. I need a shelf though. We'll figure something out.

When I awoke Wednesday morning, 9/14, my arms were in pain and weakened. My heart sank.

So, I had to adapt:
Rest my arms and back.
Adjust my meds and herbs.
Less arm exercises and no weights.
Rest, rest, rest.

I'll continue those things until my neck injections on 10/03.

I was going to conquer stairs again on Wednesday with the home health physical therapist. But due to my weakened arms, we decided to wait 'til Friday. I'm resting up for the feat.

I reached a milestone on Wednesday. I was able to perform my leg lifts with my surgery leg without assistance. I can now do all my physical therapy exercises without a spotter.

During my nap this morning on Thursday, 9/15, I dreamed.
I was out riding my bike, but I can't recall where at the moment.
Then I was somewhere else, but don't know where, and I was doing all sorts of movements with my legs that I'm not supposed to do yet. I also was reclining in a recliner, which I can't do yet either.
In my dreams I'd tell myself, "You can't move that way yet."

Every night I sleep with a large, wedge-shaped, firm, foam "pillow" between my legs that is held in place with Velcro straps. The wedge keeps my legs and hips and torso from moving around while I sleep at night so that I don't get into positions that I shouldn't. I'm now able to loosen and take off the wedge by myself, but can't yet put it in place and attach it. I'll have to wear the wedge until at least 9/28, when I see the surgeon for my post-op. During day naps, instead of using the wedge, I place a pillow vertically between my legs with the top portion of the pillow laying over my surgery leg, to help remind me to not move my surgery leg.


The Wedge


2 comments:

Denise said...

The wedge looks like a good idea. When I used to spend the night with my aunt, she said I kicked all night, lol. So, yeah.

oneperson said...

it is a great idea. But I sure am tired of it.

In the wee morning hours last night, I thought my non-surgery leg was rebelling to get out of the wedge-trap. lol I look forward to a few months down to road when I can roll around in bed again! :)