December 28, 2017

Big thick book-of-books

I may have set a goal to read the whole Bible in 2018.

In my almost two decades as a true believer, I never read the whole thing. But I read most of it and sections of it multiple times.

I'm reading sequentially, but from two different books at the same time - three chapters from the Old Testament, and, the same day, three chapters from the New Testament. If I get to my reading today I'll have read Matthew, chapters 1 through 21, and Genesis, chapters 1 through 21. I'm reading The Amplified Bible.

I like reading two books at once. Keeps my mind fresh, I guess. And usually when I read other books (outside the Bible), I read a couple (or more) books at the same time.

When I was around 13 years old before my true-believer daze, I read the four Gospels. I remember the exact words I thought about Jesus -"ego maniac." That's how he came across to me in the Gospels. And that's how he comes across to me now. And, it's pretty clear that today's wealth-and-health preachers emulate Jesus' tactics, at least so far in Matthew.

Genesis is more stimulating to me than Matthew. I enjoy the historical perspective. I think of various cultures ( such as Native American or Native of Any-land) that passed along their own oral legends and myths, intertwined with facts, explaining the origin and purpose of life. I think of how those oral stories were written in pictures and, later, in words. And I like the human aspects in Genesis - relationships with all their complexities and emotions.

I may offend some folks by stating the following. But, reading both the books at face value - well, God and Jesus are both manipulative. They don't answer questions directly. They speak in riddles. They demand obedience without explaining why. Jesus demands secrecy without explanation, and he talks down to people. They use fear motivation - beware of this and that with threats that if you disobey you'll be tormented. Just to list a few of the characteristics that I notice.

In my true-believer daze I explained that the language comes across like that, at least in part, due to:

  • the culture at the time a particular book was written and that God could only work with the writer's ("men of God," which did include some women) own knowledge and ways of communicating; ie: God didn't use automatic writing or possession to have His Word written and had to limit Himself to a narrator's will and language and culture and spiritual understanding at the time.
  • our limited (or lack of) knowledge regarding history, orientalisms, and the cultures of the times.
  • translation - that the original would have been clearer.
  • God's foreknowledge - not that God controls the future, but that He knows where it is going; ie: when God foretells it's not that God makes that happen or that it is even His will, but that He knows that's what is going to happen.
  • the spiritual warfare that has raged since before the current heaven and earth and how the devil has maligned God and caused confusion.
  • our limited spiritual understanding - God's ways are higher than ours and all things are not yet revealed.
  • God's use of different writers to convey different aspects of a given situation - one book may give one angle, but that must be taken in the broader context of what other books convey.

Looking back I think those explanations were, for the most part, rationalizations to try to make the Bible fit, since it was supposed to be perfect. (Hmmm, I guess that rationalization spilled over into other parts of life, especially when it came to "things in the Ministry"...)

Will I make it all the way through the big, thick book-of-books? I don't know. I might lose interest.

I've thought that maybe I should read the Koran at some point. I've only read a few paragraphs hither and yon online.



5 comments:

Alice said...

I've read the whole thing a handful of times all the way through, some books more than others. I've read it as a believer and a non-believer, but never got to objectively. I always found what Jesus said to be most scary as oppose to what people say Jesus said.

Anna Maria said...

Back when I left the Catholic Church in the 1970's, due to an abusive priest, they didn't really advocate Catholics reading the whole Bible, just the parts it wanted you to believe...so I did. I found the whole book rather ridiculous and fictional. Just another example of ancient old men trying to make us believe the impossible. Those chapters have been edited so many times from the originals it's impossible to ascertain much truth from it...kinda like "trumpers" claims about anything in the media he doesn't favor is "fake news." As for God and Jesus, I favor them as being non wrathful and vindictive and totally separate entities, Jesus a human one. I never again will believe in any deity who would create a hell, as depicted in the "holy" book, to eternally punish it's creations in. I'm still spiritual but not religious by any stretch of the imagination and feel very much at peace with what I believe now...in reincarnation like the ancient Hindus'do. The afterlife I much prefer...another chance to get it right. Have a wonderful New Year Carol and will pray it's pain free for you.

oneperson said...

You gave me a chuckle Anna. Great book review! :D (Not that it's a laughing matter.)

"I never again will believe in any deity who would create a hell, as depicted in the "holy" book, to eternally punish it's creations in." Amen to that!

I haven't settled on a belief as far as a deity or afterlife - still sitting on a fence in agnostic land looking around. Well, I do state I'm a serendipititist. :)

Hope you have a great New Year too! Thank you Anna!
~Carol :)



oneperson said...

Hmm...I commented and must have forgotten to click Publish, Dang it. Lemme see if I can redo. Never comes out the same the second try. :D

:i always found what Jesus said to be most scary as oppose to what people say Jesus said."

He is attributed in the Gospels to saying some violent things. And he contradicts himself often. But folks seem to quote his love and peace statements, instead of the wailing and gnashing of teeth statements.

I haven't read the Bible consistently at all in years. It's interesting to read it from a more objective angle - like reading any other literature. At least as objective as I'm able to do.

I read most of the Bible in my believer days. But I've read few of the books all the way through after Song of Solomon in the OT, with the exception of some of the short books in that section. Some of the books from Genesis through Song of Solomon I've read multiple times. And the NT, I've read multiple times. The Way emphasized the Pauline epistles, so I read those umpteen times.

The Way pretty much worshiped the Bible, though they'd never admit that. But Way believers aren't literalists. Come to think of it, most Christians aren't literalists. If they were, they'd be plucking out their eyes and cutting off their hands. :-o

Thanks for reading and commenting Alice!

Alice said...

Anna Maria,

I've become quite settled on reincarnation myself. It makes sense somehow.