August 1, 2018

Watch & wait

I've felt disoriented lately.

Today, I've had to collect saliva throughout the day at five different designated times for an adrenal function test.

I also picked up my two dachshund friends, Greta and Otto, this morning. They are staying with us through Sunday.

And I am visiting some cat friends once a day through Saturday. Three cats in one home - Oliver, Sarabi, and LiLing.

Sarabi is new to the trio and keeps her distance from me for now and waits by her feeding spot checking me out. She knows, "The feeder is here."

Oliver is an adopted stray. He adopted Luci, his human, last year. Since Oliver was once a stray, Luci lets him in and out of the house whenever Oliver asks, for the most part. But for my first visit last year, Luci was concerned Oliver may not readily come back, since he didn't yet know me.

On that first day, Oliver avoided me and was skittish. Not unusual for a cat, or many an animal when they are first getting to know a human. I respect their space and simply hang out after doing my house and pet sitting duties. I don't try to get them to like me. But I try to let them know that they can trust me.

On the second day Oliver was standing on his hind legs, frantically pawing at the sliding glass door wanting to go outside. I obliged; he was too distraught. He came back after 20 minutes, and I let him back inside.

He was a changed cat, at least in our relationship. He rubbed against my legs, his purr box humming. I told him, "I get it Oliver. I'd go nuts if I couldn't visit the woods." He's not been skittish since.

Lucky, one of my previous cat clients before I had to downsize, would always hide from us pet sitters. I'd often find her under the bed hiding in the lightweight muslin-like material that sometimes covers the underside of box springs. She wasn't the only cat that had discovered how to make a hole in that material and then climb inside it like a secret hammock.

I'd lay on the floor at the foot of the bed, on my back, and turn my head to see Lucky under the bed at the other end in her hammock. Lucky would stare at me, checking me out.

After about 1-1/2 years, Lucky decided all was okay. One day I arrived, and she greeted me, purring and rubbing against my legs. From then on, she always greeted me with purrs.

I collect my last saliva sample tonight between 10PM and midnight. I'll swish my mouth with water for 30 seconds and then spit the water out. Then wait 3 to 5 minutes, wash my hands, put the one-inch cotton roll under my tongue for 20 minutes, and write my identification on the appropriate vial. After 20 minutes, with clean hands, I'll take the cotton roll out from under my tongue, put it in the vial, tightly cap the vial, and place it in the refrigerator with the other four vials which are in "the provided resealable bag with orange absorbent shipping pad." Tomorrow I'll put the sealed bag with the five vials in the provided box and mail it from the UPS store, after I visit the cat trio and before I visit the orthopedic surgeon.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute animals! I hope you get some helpful information about adrenal function.

SP

Paul Sunstone said...

Beautiful insights into the character of each cat! It was something of a revelation to me some decades ago when I suddenly realized cats have distinct personalities. Afterwards, I wondered why I had not always known that.

Thanks for such an interesting post!

oneperson said...

Thanks SP and Paul!
Glad you enjoyed the story and pics. I did! :D

Good to see you Paul. Thanks for stopping by. :)

You too SP, of course. :)