January 5, 2019

2059 in 2018: Rollin', rollin', rollin' ...

Cross-posted from my cycling blog.

*~*

In April, 2018, I began my cycling blog. I titled it Adventures with Olivia.

On April 19th I posted my first entry. I gave it a very creative title: First Post.

From April 19th through July 11th, I posted entries about specific rides.

On July 26th, I began posting a summary-for-the-month entry, which lists each ride for that month with links to tweets of the corresponding ride. Since then, I have not posted any entries about specific rides.

On September 11, I bought a new bike and named her Bleu, short for Black Beauty.
I then changed the title of the blog to Adventures with Olivia & Bleu.

I'm glad I began this blog and the summary entries.
The summaries are an easy way to collate my rides.
The entries with their corresponding links provide a tangible storehouse for my memories, encouraging me to continue onward, reminding me that even though I'm abled-differently, I can do.

I pedaled a total of 2058.6 miles in 2018.

Below I've listed my mileage for each month of 2018 with links to corresponding entries.

The miles represent more than just miles...

Cycling hillsides and woodlands is, dare I say, as lifegiving to me as breathing. It provides pain relief, energy, movement, mental acuity, purpose, confidence, adventure, solace, companionship, communion, hope - all of which have suffered since developing polyradiculitis.

Unlike walking, when I cycle, I do not have to carry my body weight. My bicycle supports me. I do not have to lift my legs. They push the pedals round and round which acts as leverage to move me forward. I do not have to use my arms and hands for anything except support, steering, and changing my gears.

My bicycles, Olivia and Bleu...they truly are my freedom.
Freedom because my body feels lighter on wheels - I do not have to work so hard in order to move.
Freedom from the concentration and calculations required to perform routine, daily self-care tasks - my mind has more margin.
Freedom from having to string together words in order to communicate - there is no need to explain anything to anyone.

In those moments - cycling the wind, immersed in communion with nature - words aren't necessary; sentences even less so. In those moments, the linear alphabet - strung into words, stretched into sentences - feels a primitive and archaic way to communicate. In the woods, among wildlife and trees, is where I feel most alive, most connected.

2018: Miles per month

Total miles: 2058.6, or 2059 rounded up.

Salem Lake. 1/24/18

Neuse River Trail. 4/19/18

John entering Austinville tunnel. 

Ponce Inlet route. 

Neuse River Trail. 6/07/18. 

One of the tank farms.

Railroad Grade Road. 7/28/18.


Mt. Airy Greenway. 9/05/18.


Great heron flasher pose. 
Yes, that's what it's called. 

New River Trail. 11/19/1918. Night cycling.

Mt. Airy Greenway. 12/03/18.


No comments: