August 25, 2009

New York Log I: New Paltz Puttering

I feel like journaling and want to do it here on my blog instead of in my book journal. So I shall.

Thinking about what I want to write, I ponder to myself, Well it isn't about cult recovery, which is the main focus of this blog.

Further thoughts led me to the conclusion that it is about recovery, or rather rediscovery. My life is larger than my Way experiences. That said my Way experiences outnumber my other life experiences. I confess, I do think about my time in the Way every day. That's understandable. Some may say that isn't good. I don't see it as good or bad; it simply is.

What is New Paltz Puttering? Read on to learn more.

**********************************************************************
New York Log I: New Paltz Puttering

I left NC around 5:30ish Sunday evening, August 23. The drive up was good. I endured a bit of rain and the benefit of a lovely rainbow. There were lots of vehicles on the road, lots of 18-wheelers. When the clouds weren't drooling, I enjoyed the moon roof open. I could smell the rain and country and city scents. I enjoy being able to smell these days, a sense I've missed for about 2 decades. Passing through Hershey, PA, I could smell factories. I guess it was chocolate. I thought of when I was a Word Over the World (WOW) Ambassador in Milwaukee in 1978-79 where the air smelled like beer. Not literally, more like hops and yeast.

Reminded me of my early Way days.

I drove up alone. I'm spending Monday through Thursday in a hostel in New Paltz, NY. Friday, 8/27, I head to the town of Woodstock where I will stay in Heidi's home while I attend a workshop at Fred and Marta's. The last time I drove to the Northeast was in December, 1980, to pick up some belongings after I had AWOLed from the WOW field in Connecticut. I haven't done a long trip alone in a long time.

Reminded me of my early Way days.

On the drive up I spoke on the phone for over an hour with one of my WOW sisters from my '78-'79 WOW year in Milwaukee. We had a recent reunion, after 28 years, on Facebook. It's been a good reunion and was good to chat with her. My cell phone lost coverage in the mountains, so she and I will have to pick up our conversation later. She mentioned and used the term "Word over the world."

Reminded me of my early Way days.

Around 2:20 AM I stopped at a Love's Travel Stop in Jonestown, Pennsylvania. My Ford Explore and I joined the other wearied travelers for a snooze in the lit parking lot. My husband, John, had made me a wonderful cozy area in the back of the Explorer; I was able to stretch all 5 feet 2 inches of me down for a nice sleep. I never drive when I'm sleepy.

Reminded me of my early Way days.

All that reminding had led me in a brush with a Way daze. How did it feel? I felt 'split,' or like I was in two different rooms. I felt I had betrayed The Way. I felt that I should be thinking about the Christ in me, that that was the 'real' me. I felt my surroundings weren't real, like I was in a dream. I felt uncomfortable to meet the folks face to face for the first time while in New York this week; Marta, Fred, Gerry and his wife. Who was I? How was I supposed to act? I had been so excited to meet them, and now I wasn't sure how I was supposed to act or who I really was. I wasn't comfortable in my skin, or whoever's skin I was wearing while dazing.

I recognized what was happening, It lasted a few hours. Sleep helped some.

I hit the road again between 5:30 and 6:00 Monday morning. The sunrise was beautiful, bright pink ball of fire trumpeting the day's beginning. It was huge. I hadn't witnessed the sun rise in quite awhile. The Newark, New Jersey, commute traffic wasn't too bad and I had good sounds on the speakers.

I stopped at a travel plaza along the interstate. I got to thinking. Hmmm, check-in isn't until 4:00 at the Hostel. The Woodstock Festival Museum is to the west of New Paltz. It opens at 10:00. Maybe I'll just go there first.

I had tidied myself up back at the Love's Travelrest, so I looked decent enough to visit a Woodstock Museum. Ha!

I got to the museum a few minutes after 10:00 AM. Oh man; it is great! The museum's name is Bethel Woods Center for the Arts and is on its 2nd year. Not only is the 60's history and the Woodstock history intriguing, but also a current traveling exhibit, Give Peace a Chance.

I discovered the Allman Brothers will be in concert there on Wednesday evening. I didn't buy a ticket right away. However after museumifying, I decided to buy a ticket. While strolling and taking in the museum sights and sounds, I met a Donna Ackermann who lived on the farm some 24 years ago. She and her family rented the farm house for their crops and dairy farm business. She was visiting the museum for the first time yesterday. We met while both of us (and her mom) were studying a colored print of the original poster. Some of those posters had adorned the walls of the rented farmhouse when she lived there.

I was feeling more grounded, and more me like. The uneasiness I experienced on the drive up was subsiding.

After a meandering drive along winding country roads, I arrived at the New Paltz Hostel around 5:15 Monday afternoon. Lito is a warm and friendly host and is from Uruguay. He showed me a bunk and gave me the pick of top or bottom. I chose bottom. Lito made the bed with beautiful chocolate brown sheets and a neatly folded towel to match, with a blanket draped at the foot of the bed.

Monday evening I spent time conversing with a hostel guest, Rhia, who has recently returned to New York after being out west for 7(?) years. We had a wonderful chat. She sleeps in a bunk across from me.

Today I slept in, conversed with another hostel guest (Anti from Hungary), ate at P&G's Restaurant, and then (keying off my dialog with Anti) took a few-mile walk on the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail Greenway. It led me to a stroll through AndroGeny Art Gallery. I chatted a few moments with the owner, Sylvia, whose roots are of Brazil and Central America. Her art gallery represents local artists and includes music, writing, and hair design. I enjoyed the local art, especially the sculptures. I saw the coolest instrument in the music room. It was a combination of three wiros and four tones blocks, all on one base. Way cool! I'm so glad I saw her place and took the time to visit.

A little later along my walk, I heard the beat of drums. A drum circle! I followed the sound and found djembes, and other drums echoing African beats. I met Abu and Anis. Anis is from Haiti. Abu's roots are in West Africa.

This evening, as I was typing this blog, some young ladies joined me around the kitchen table. What a beautiful group of humanity. We laughed. They shared some Chinese food with me. We chatted. All attend SUNY in New Paltz and are rooming here at the hostel this semester.

Daisy, from New York, is majoring in Early Childhood Education. Liz, form Peru, Clinical Psychology with a minor in Art. Ling, a native of China, Pysho-biology. Maureen from Bangladesh is double-majoring in International Relation and Philosophy. And Zhangxing (Cynthia) from China is majoring in Music Therapy.

After writing all this out, "word over the world" takes on a different concept.

How 'bout "peace around the world."

Whirled Peas!

Peace out....

*************************************************************************

Addendum: One other thing. I've not stayed in a dorm setting since the mid-90's range when I attended The Way's Advanced Class at their previously owned Rome City, Indiana, campus. I had stayed in dorm rooms while in-residence in the 80's as well. It is refreshing here at the hostel to hang my clothes and towels on the bunk railings without being reproved. I look around the room and others have various items draped through the railings. Unmade beds are the norm and co-ed dorm rooms with 3 bunks each. Ahh, the imperfection is absolute. I like that kind of absolute....

******************************************************************
Click here for New York Log II
Here for New York Log III
Here for Each Voice Matters
******************************************************************

No comments: