August 27, 2009

New York Log II: A Blessed Bitten

I've pondered what to entitle this second entry. Waltzing the Woods of Bethel? Bethel Woods' Beats? Bitten by Bethel Woods?

As I was driving this evening up I-87, I again admired the fields and the beauty. I thought, This would be an awesome place to live. The atmosphere, warm and welcoming. The inspiring multi-cultural mix between natives and immigrants, past and present. The mingling together of youth and the elderly, crossing generation gaps. But the winters. Nah, I don't want the winters!

Still I found myself bitten by the beauty of my surroundings, the flavor of the culture.

The landscape here is similar to the North Carolina foothills and mountains. One difference is there appears to be more marshlands here; the colorful fields and meadows are poignantly noticeable to me. Yellows, greens, purples, burgundies, whites, pinks. And the cultural flavor is different, more open perhaps? A youthful zeal? Hopeful, yet grounded?

I was enthralled, listening to Carole King over my Explorer speakers, as I drove northward along I-87.
********************************************

Wednesday, 8/26, was leisurely. I wrote some in the early afternoon.

I left the hostel to head to Bethel Woods for the Allman Bros. Band concert. The drive is around 1 hour and 15 minutes, all through back country roads. On the way I stopped at Stonehenge Produce Stand and purchased some fruit, a cucumber, and a pickle. I sat at a picnic table crunching the large dilled cuke. Yum. I got back on the road after talking with John on the cell phone.

I had found a back road to Bethel Woods. I think the road is called Lake Shore Drive. It's a fun road and reminds somewhat of Botkins Road (I think that's its name) that is a back road in Ohio that leads to The Way International Headquarters in New Knoxville. Located along Lake Shore Drive are some Hasidic Jewish camps; followers walk the roads. It's a peaceful setting.

At the Bethel Woods Arts Center I am directed by parking staff to a spot in a large field. The Staff sure is friendly! Concert attendees are sitting outside their cars tailgating before entering the concert grounds. I pack my blueberries, fruit, a Cliff Bar, and water in my hip pack. I walk up the paved road along with other concert goers. It's a country road with no middle line, Hurd Road. I thought of walking Wierwille Road from the parking field down to Way Headquarters grounds during the old Rock of Ages Festival. I attended the Rock almost every year from 1978 through 1995. I think I only missed two, due to illness and childbirth.

I entered the grounds, picked up my rental lawn chair, and walked to a place on the hillside that I thought would provide a good view. A lady struck up a conversation with me letting me know good places to set my chair. She invited me to sit beside she and her husband. We introduced ourselves. Bill and Debbie Donnely who live about an hour from Bethel Woods. Bill's grandfather came over from Ireland. Bill and Debbie are season ticket holders at Bethel Woods, so are 'pros' at these concerts. We had a blast. Debbie showed me around sharing some of the foothill views and history. She took a photo of me eating a peach. I had to "eat a peach" at an Allman Bros. concert.

Beside us some dudes were setting up tall microphones to record Widespread Panic. All legal. (Check it out here: bt.etree.org Widespread Panic, Bethel Woods.)

Rain began. I pulled out my poncho and umbrella.

Debbie and Bill have 3 children, all grown now. Debbie works for the local school system. Bill is a firefighter in NYC, in Manhattan and the Bronx. He helped clean up after 9/11. Some of his buddies lost their lives in the process. Bill is a big Allman Bros. fan.

Debbie and I had fun swapping some high school days (daze) stories. She shared cheese and bread and crackers. She wasn't into blueberries last night. On one of our trips to the ladies room we ran into her concert buddy, Marta. Marta had just visited a friend in North Carolina near Winston-Salem, in the small town of Westfield. OMG, that was too funny! Westfield is right next to Pilot Mountain, which of course Marta called Mt. Pilot. I say "of course" because that's what Andy calls it on the old Andy Griffith Show. Andy grew up in those NC foothills and "Mt. Pilot" is a play off of Pilot Mountain.

During the concert I bought some roasted corn on the cob from Jon and Christine Allison, owners of Allison Farms. They grow corn and other produce on some 40+ acres and hay on some 100+ acres, the family generational farmland. They live about 15 minutes from Bethel Woods. They are busy!! Three young children. The farm. Full-time jobs as a nurse and corrections officer. Little League Baseball Coach and coach of football for kids. And now the corn stand at festivals and races. They are NASCAR fans, Tony Stewart enthusiasts. Their corn is so delish that I ate two ears, one Margarita flavored and one Bleu Pig flavored. Yum!

Widespread Panic gave an awesome show. I really,really enjoyed the percussion solos.

By the time the Allman Bros. Band came out, the rain had stopped and stars filled the sky. Another awesome performance. During the performance Greg Allman had the bass player from Widespread Panic, the saxophonist from BB King, and a drummer from BB King join in jamming on stage. BB King was to be on stage Thursday night.

The concert started around 6:00 and ended around 11:15(?). Both bands played a long time, well worth my $40.00.

Today (Thursday) I lounged around, laid in the sun, read, took a short walk, talked with Anti and Beth and Lito. Then tonight I headed north to El Rancho Restaurant where I delighted to meet up with Gerry Spoor and his lovely wife Judy. We visited for about 3 hours, talked and laughed and shared good food. The 25-minute drive up the road to meet them was gorgeous. I pondered the beauty of the land and the people while listening to Carole King.

I met Gerry back in 2007 on PoetryPages.com. I am a fan of his poetry and even wrote a poem in his honor. We had only communicated online, until this week. My heart is warmed by the visit with he and Judy. My tummy and taste buds are warmed too! And thanks for picking up the tab Gerry. I hope the Childress wine is tasty, but don't try to eat the pretzel.

We parted ways around 9:45. As I drove southward again listening to Carole King, warmed in body and soul, I thought what a beautiful place and people. I was 'bitten by beauty.' Yet it was a good bitten, "a blessed bitten."

It's been a great week. Tomorrow I get to meet Fred and Marta, visit Woodstock, and engage the Catskills.

Meow...

**************************************
Click here for New York Log I
Here for New York Log III
Here for Each Voice Matters
**************************************

No comments: