December 1, 2010

Purple & Green

What to write?

I draw a blank. ___________ (Now I typed a blank.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It rains tonight
Puddles form alongside the driveway
Where the gravel is

Sometimes the drops come fast
And furious
Making a small crick

That flows to the street
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a youngster I often played outside. Our house was located on a hill and the rain would run down the sides of the street. There were and still are no sidewalks on that street. I used to go out after a rain, collect small rocks and sticks, and make miniature dams in the tiny streams that flowed down the paved roadside. I was an engineer. Sometimes I was a captain of a ship, the ship being made of a stick or piece of bark. The imagination with rain.

The smell of rain. The sound of rain. The feel of rain.

Behind our house was a pasture. That's where the ponies lived. Horses too. I'd climb the fence and walk across the grassy slope that leveled out as I got to the creek. This was a real creek. Even had a swimming hole. And crawdads. And good rocks for creek walking. And clay. I'd form bowls from the clay, let them dry in the sun, then paint them with the purple juice from polk berries.

I was told polk berries were poisonous but that one could eat the raw, young leaves in salads. But I never did eat any polk salad.

Jimson weed grew in that pasture. The spiky pods were topped with purple feathery locks. Purple is one of my favorite colors. Purple and green, I really like those colors together. Today at work, as I was unpacking art, I came across a painting of some Jimson plants. I bought the art piece for my miniature art collection.

Jimson, aka Datura, and I had a relationship in the distant past. She almost killed me, but we survived those hellish four days. One of our hallucinations was of water in an aquarium which housed a sanatorium that staffed witch doctors.

I wasn't told that Datura was poisonous, but rather that it was mind expanding. I did eat Datura seeds, but not in a salad.
___________________

No comments: