July 31, 2012

Tribute for Acetabular

In a comment on toss & ripple, I mentioned a poem I had written about my new hip, which I received on August 6, 2008. I posted the poem on my poetry blog in October, 2009.

Even though my hip has been recalled, it is faring very well. So far, my hip appears it will not have to be replaced again. I hope that remains so.

*****************

You served me well
You grew with me
Together we ran, we jumped, we danced
We made love

Every moment you were with me

Your pain then spoke
Sometimes I'd listen
Other times I'd push through
Cursing you beneath my breath

You heard every utterance

I'm sorry for my bitter words
Still, you continued to serve
The best you could
Still, you made your pain known

Now you are forever gone

In a matter of half-hours
Incision, folds, cuts, disengagement
It was time, you see
You lived with unforgiving pain

So did I

I think you'd be pleased
With your surrogate
Your peers and I have accepted it
Welcomed it, though it can never be you

It doesn't pulse with the life you had

Yet, it is becoming one with us
And we believe it will serve well
Valiantly, and hopefully
For our length of days

I honor you

I will not forget you
Thank you for your decades
Of life and service
 

I wonder....  
Is there a hip heaven?

August 20, 2008
*****************

2 comments:

Anna Maria said...

Love the "hip" poem...and hope the replacement serves you well from now on.

Also liked your vision of the tombstone...I can visualize the angel I plan to design holding up a big dime and an inscription that reads,"This is all she got for all the pain and suffering a couple of doctors cost her.

I am allergic to penicillin also, and though I know it has helped a lot of folks, after spending two days in the hospital blinded and on the "brink," the doctor who administered my first dose when I was five years old for a boil told Dad and I, who was also allergic to it, "Don't ever take it again because for you two it's worse than a rattlesnake bite." Oops!

Daddy also had a hip replacement in the 70's that had to be replaced. I would have thought they had improved them beyond that misery.

oneperson said...

Thank you Anna Maria!

Eek on the penicillin. But glad you found out and made it through the ordeal.

Sometimes hip replacements do where out and need replacing. From my understanding, hip replacements these days should last decades. In the case of the recall, it's a matter of malfunction instead of normal wear and tear. Hopefully though, mine will last 'til my last breath.