August 2, 2012

A few thoughts on Mein Kampf

Due to my trip to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, I'm reading HItler's Mein Kampf. "Mein kampf" means "my struggle." Hitler wrote it while imprisoned for nine months in 1924. His sentence, for treason, was for five years, but he was released early for good behavior.

I've only read into the second chapter. So far I am struck by a few things that I want to get out of my head and onto paper.

  • He writes as an advocate for the worker and for humanity. He sounds like one who would stand up for the individual. He expresses concern for rights of the individual, for women, for the everyday worker. 
  • Some of his words inspire the soul to feel a duty to take a stand for a great cause.
  • Hitler takes note of the "sheep" that follow the doctrine of the powers that be. 
  • He refers quite a few times to people being unintelligent. He offers that some of the unintelligent are intelligent but have been tired by the putting down of the powers that be, and thus have given in. He writes as to convince people that they can think for themselves; after all, Hitler thinks for himself.
  • He states that the only way to fight poison is with poison, and the only way to fight terror is with terror. 

These few things strike me as 'red flags' in regard to how controlling relationships, mass movements, cults operate.

They spawn an us/them mindset, but that mindset is tempered by words laced within the essay, words of concern for the individual ..so that even some of the 'them' are worthy as humanity. Others of the 'them' are evil and greedy and need to be stopped by whatever means necessary.

Hitler's words appeal to a greater cause. How good am I if I refuse to take up my own sword to fight against the evil that rules? If I do not take a stand, I am one of the unintelligent...one of the sheep. There is no place or room for any fence-sitting.

Hitler calls out "liars," again appealing to that part of us to want to do right. Yet, in hindsight, we know Hitler's legacy.

His words remind me of others, alive and dead, whom I have 'followed'...at those times rationalizing any contradictions I would observe in their actions and behavior. After all, those whom I 'followed' were/are 'only human.'

As I read Hitler's words, I think of Martin Luther, "the great reformer." Yet, Luther had a very dark side that isn't as well known among Christian circles. People don't have the 'good' quotes of Hitler decoupaged in art; yet we have the good words of Luther, or of other leaders or activists all the while dismissing their evil deeds and/or hypocrisy.

Or are we dismissing it? Are we rather trying to preserve the good of their humanity? Is it good to not speak of the evil? I think not. Evil is not good, but to not remember the evil...can lead to evil again and again.

And as I read Hitler's words that he wrote alone while imprisoned...well....I also think of my ex-therapist John Knapp. Knapp's lies, lies, lies. And how Knapp wrote (and still writes at times) so righteously, calling out liars and hypocrites, standing up for the abused...and how Knapp wrote (and maybe still writes) with such a great cause of helping others. Yet, I know the harms Knapp has exacted....not only to myself but to others. No, not anywhere on the scale of a Hitler...yet the writing similarities are uncanny to me.

Hitler had aspired to be an architect.



4 comments:

April Galamin said...

I love your thoughts on this Carol. It's the mixing of the good with the evil & that makes the ideas easier to accept. It's like they don't realize that all of the evil is interwoven & hidden by the good & righteous words.

I suppose this is how successful manipulators work...well I KNOW that's how they work. I've seen it in action & it is quite amazing in a horrific way.

Love ya girl!

oneperson said...

Thanks April!

Yes...you do KNOW on an up-close-and-personal level. So glad we are all moving along to the other side (so to speak) of those experiences. And that we don't just shove them under the rug like they never happened.

Love you too!!!
xoxo

Billy said...

Wish I had gone to that museum...passed right by it a couple months ago on vacation as my stepdaughter took us to an old Russian historical mansion in DC.

Being a long time avid student of WWII and related topics...my dad and mom were both in the Navy during that war...I have dome some study of Hitler and the Holocaust...and think his words are the key. I think there is one word to describe an abuser...whether on a worldwide scale of war, or in a one on one conflict...the is power. it certainly was the case in the tragic shooting of a Cost Cutters manager in town who stood up to a violent abuser in protecting her employees. And power usually involves fostering blind obedience in the abuser.

oneperson said...

It is worth a stop next time you are in DC.

Words. Yes. And then the belief in those words.

I don't have words as I sit here shaking my head in almost disbelief regarding the various scenarios in my little world of people who have abused their power.

In the past year I've stated that it's not so much the lies that bother me, as when people believe the lies. I know I fall prey to believing too. Hopefully I've learned a bit along the way.

Thanks for sharing Billy!
:)