October 17, 2012

Momentoes

Life is a series of moments.
We collect momentoes.
Then in a moment, life ends.
Our momentoes are left behind.

I began a tradition when our children were young.

While on vacations, we would buy post cards. Each child would write something on the post card and then we would mail the cards home, to ourselves. Later I would have the post cards laminated, punch a hole in the top of the card, put a colored ribbon or a ornament hanger through the hole, and then I'd hang the card on the Christmas tree or on the greenery along the staircase at Christmas time.

Some day in the not-too-distant future, I'll pass the post cards along to my children; momentoes to recall each year as the Christmas decorations come out of hiding.

The Way avoided using the word "Christmas." We were taught it stood for "Christ" "Mass." We were taught "masses" represented death and dying.

In The Way we said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." What was "merry" about death? The devil was the author of death.

While in The Way, I never put up a manger scene that depicted angels with wings. Angels didn't have wings; that was fantasy. Angels appeared as men. I never had angels with wings in my home. If I wasn't careful, such trinkets could invite devil spirits into my home. Doctor always taught that everything puts off something.

In The Way, we sang "holiday" songs instead of "Christmas" songs. We would change the words to some of the songs.
Angels didn't "sing," they "spoke." So more accurately the well know Christmas song should be sung as "Hark the herald angels speak, glory to the newborn king."
And Mary was not a "virgin" when she gave birth to Jesus. Silent Night was more accurately sung as "round yon maiden mother and child."
But there were so many inaccuracies in holiday songs and festivals; we couldn't change them all.
But we knew the truth, and we would recall the truth regarding the holiday season.

Anymore I'd prefer skipping the holidays if I could. It seems since Mom died and my children are grown that I don't see the point of the holidays. Maybe I'll enjoy them again when and if I become a grandmother.

Dad died back in 1996.
Mom died in 2009.
All my aunts and uncles are deceased.
I never knew any of my grandparents.

But I have momentoes...somewhere.

4 comments:

Anna Maria said...

My bedroom wall is covered with 19th century lithographs of angels and they all have wings, even though I don't really believe they have them. I believe it was the artist's way of depicting angels can go anywhere. I do believe that.

You are correct, after the elders die and the children grow up, Christmas doesn't seem the same. You are also correct, when you see the joy on the faces of your grandchildren on Christmas morning, it all comes back to remind you that it is a season of joy, love, and mementoes.

oneperson said...

Thank you Anna!

Your comment brings smiles. Partly at the angels, partly at the thought of grandchildren, and partly at how to spell momentoes and mementoes. :)

The past few years, one of my favorite songs is from a contemporary Christian artist, Todd Agnew. The lyrics are from Isaiah 6, about the seraphim. I love the flow of the music and the images the words evoke. I've thought I'd like to ride upon one of those seraphim.
Song link: Isaiah 6

Yay for creativity...and angels with wings...and seraphim too! ;)

Thanks again Anna!

... Zoe ~ said...

I have always loved angels, with or without wings. As a Christian I believed in them. As an atheist I see humans as angels. Not in any sense supernaturally or as some invisible essence. I have a small collection of Willow Tree angels that grace the top of my piano. They were given to me. I also have a collection of angels that have hung on our Christmas tree for a very long time. They were also a gift.

I like your post-card tradition. Our tradition was to give the children an ornament every year with the intention of giving them the entire collection when they leave home and have their own homes. My goodness, both our Christmas tree and I had quite the "empty nest" feeling when those ornaments were packed up and left our home for good. *sigh* But at least the kids had some nice ornaments to start of their lives away from home. I'm sure their trees are grateful. *grin*

(((hugs)))

oneperson said...

I bet those trees are very grateful. hehe
I bet your children are too.

I like angels with wings now too. Hm, I probably prefer fairies though. ;D

Humans as angels..yes. On the backpacking trail, they are know as "trail angels." Folks who the hikers may never see, but who leave food and drink and maybe other creature comforts along the way.

xoxo