April 23, 2014

Gains and Losses

*~*~
prompt or not: "how i look"
aww ~ 8:45

*~*~

I used to have a flat belly. I don't anymore.

In my early twenties, I wore a size 4, later growing into a size 6, then a size 8, then a size 10, then a size 12, and now usually a size 14, sometimes 12, depending on how a garment is made.

Steroid intake over the last three years doesn't help my mid-line.

I'd be lying if I said I don't miss the days of my flat belly...or at least smaller waistline and smaller bust-line and smaller arms. Smaller and toned; my body used to have tone.

I joined the YWCA a couple weeks ago. When I joined I met with a lady on staff, Hazel, who weighed me, measured me, and calculated my Body Mass Index, BMI. My BMI is 28; my goal it to make it 25.

When measuring my thighs, Hazel states, "Your thighs are sure small." I had never had small thighs in my past; they used to be muscular.

Hazel and I discus my goals. My main goal is to build my strength and endurance. Due to nerve damage, my muscles have degenerated. Weight loss would be a side benefit; but I could use to lose 30 pounds. If ever I get strong enough to again take up backpacking, I'd want that 30 pounds to be my backpack, not my body.

I educate Hazel a little bit about nerve damage...that I cannot lift or bear weights. That I want to give pool exercises a try, especially for my arms. To see if they can once again take on some tone and gain strength.

Hazel and I discuss my eating habits.

"Gathering at the Store" 1000 pieces
"It's not that what I eat is unhealthy," I tell her. "It's that I eat too much. Especially at night. I've done better the last couple weeks - eating more consciously. And eating less at night. I recently built a jigsaw puzzle to occupy my hands at night instead of grabbing food."


"Well, let's make that your first goal," Hazel responds. "Don't eat after 8:00 PM."

"Okay," I reply thinking to myself...yeah right.

I have failed miserably. In fact, my mind totally rebelled against that goal. I was faring better before I made the no-eating-after-8:00-PM commitment.

What is this? I've asked myself. I make a commitment to not eat after 8:00 and now...my mind and taste buds have gone into overdrive. "Eat. Eat. Eat." Okay Carol, maybe you should make the cut off time 9:00? But, why do you even try? And with these steroids you take, how will you ever rid that belly tube? Only in first world countries do we have this problem of too much food.

I've felt more guilty about the abundance of food than about not keeping my no-eating-after-8:00-PM commitment.

The YWCA water exercise class I attend is fun; much laughter is shared. We get a good workout; I'm always tired afterward. I am probably the youngest person in the class; most are in their latter sixties and up into their eighties. Usually I am the only white person; most participants are black. The class usually has eight to ten participants. A few members have shared their stories as we have sat in the whirlpool after class. The group inspires me.

Class always ends with prayer. Willy, the instructor, calls us to form a circle in the pool. We hold hands, and he calls on someone to pray. People in the circle whisper, "Thank you Lord," and "Thank you Jesus." I am silent.

After the prayer, someone shares a joke for the day. The final note is lighthearted laughter.

If Willy ever asks me to pray, and I imagine he will, I'll have to decline. I no longer pray aloud in groups. I'm not even sure if a god is listening.



10 comments:

April said...

Ditto what you wrote: "I'm not even sure if a god is listening."

Anonymous said...

I am twice the man I was at age 21. :) Like you, I generally eat well but I eat too much. I am grazer, eating throughout the afternoon and night rather than eating big meals. My biggest problem is that I can no longer do meaningful, weight reducing exercise. So I try to keep my weight where it is, very much over weight. Like you, I wish I had the body I once had, a slim, trim, athletic man. Not going to happen. I do what I can but I have accepted that this is how it is for me and I am comfortable in my 3x skin.

Alice said...

I find too that when I make goals, I immediately rebel against them. UGH! I am not unhappy with my weight, but I could sure use some toning and after six kids, I doubt that my belly will ever be completely flat again.

The water exercises sound like a lot of fun.

BTW, my mom has some peripheral neuropathy issues too. She's had spinal surgery due to degenerative disc disease and for the last few years her mobility has suffered.

Jeanette Bartha said...

When are you going to write a book?

oneperson said...

I hope I'm not asked to pray in the group...but if I am...well, I'll just have to cross that bridge then. Maybe I could say a secular prayer; but I think that would feel weird to me too. And I have my doubts something like that would be well accepted.Plus, the classes are held at the YWCA...not the YWAgnosticA. ;)

oneperson said...

"...and I am comfortable in my 3x skin." :)
I like that! I try to adopt a similar attitude...some days I'm good at adopting...other days I suck at it.

I'm a grazer too...usually...at least when I'm home and on my 'regular' self-paced routine.

Thankfully, partly due to my last round of steroid injections...I have been able to take up this new exercise at the Y. My thinking is ..that if I can exercise before the effect of my steroid injections wears off..I can at least build some strength during that time. I've heard and read that sometimes the injections can have a long term effect...it's a wait and see process. I'm thankful that I at least (for now) have the injections that are helping...and I'll take 'em, even with the risk of possible side effects...which I'll just have to deal as they arise.

Your attitude is inspiring Bruce...you keep moving forward in spite of the circumstances. Your gratitude for the good in life, even through the struggles, comes through in your sharings. Thank you! <3

oneperson said...

I didn't realize you have six children Alice. Oh my! I'm tired just thinking about it. I was thinking you have four children...which makes me tired too!

Sorry to read about your Mom. :-/ I'm sure that has been difficult for everyone. <3 It's a lot to care for children and parents at the same time. I've heard the term "sandwich generation"...for when we are in that phase of caring for our young and caring for our elders. Life sure isn't boring.
<3

oneperson said...

Thanks Jeanette!

I have seriously thought about it since the beginning of 2014. If I take it on...I would mainly copy from my blog, clean it up, and publish. I'd probably have to self publish...or go with a small publisher.

I'm looking forward to when your book comes out. Any progress yet in the publishing process?

... Zoe ~ said...

I wonder what Zoe would do if asked to pray after class. I think she'd probably risk repeating an uplifting poem . . . if she could remember it or she might suggest that since not everyone practices prayer the same say, perhaps a moment of silence to do with as each individual wishes. Or I just might say, no thank you. :-)

oneperson said...

I imagine I'll go with a no thank you. But...that may later lead to personal questions about where I go to church and such.

It will be an interesting time...if it ever happens. Hopefully, I've grown enough to handle it somewhat well when and if it does come up.

Carol waves northward to Zoe... *wave* :-)