May 18, 2014

A Different Face

prompt or not: a different face
aww ~ 5/14/14

***
I have no idea what to write.

But I know that I must write. If for no other reason, than to keep the fluid active.

***

I wore make up today; something I have seldom done in the last eight years.

"Eight years."
I left The Way a little over eight-and-a-half years ago.

Since leaving The Way, I wonder how much the physical visage of my face has changed, if it has changed at all?
Do I look mellower?
Do I look less stressed?
How many more wrinkles do I have now than then?
Would I have more wrinkles and stress lines had a I stayed with The Way?
Are my wrinkles and visage changes simply due to aging?
How much did the Knapp-crap age me?
How much has the neuropathy aged me?
How much have years aged me?
Since leaving The Way, does my visage offer life and hope, or apathy and pain?

On more than one occasion I've felt that the phrase, "I left The Way," is odd.
Sometimes I state, "I exited The Way."

Maybe I use "exit" because to "exit" feels more mechanical, like walking through the "exit" doorway at a movie theater, or taking the "exit" ramp off a highway to get to a specific destination. It's a linear, orderly action taken to reach the next logical path, usually toward a specific point. "Exit" is what I do to get to a place where I know I am going. "Exit" feels detached from emotion.

The word "leaving" reminds me more of death. A leaf falls from a tree, "leaving" and cutting itself off from its life source - to rot and to then nourish. There was an attachment before "leaving." "Leaving" is messy. "Leaving" feels more personable, less linear, less orderly than taking an "exit."

Maybe I want to pretend that I simply "exited" The Way, taking the next linear step to the next orderly and logical part of the journey.

But it's not been linear or orderly; yet, there has been some logic.

Maybe I want to deny that I ever "joined" The Way; so how could I ever "leave" it?

"Leaving" seems so permanent, a permanence of "out of sight, out of mind."

For me, I doubt The Way will ever be "out of sight, out of mind."

There will always be a rear view mirror.

Mirrors provide reflection, which is a good thing, for the most part.

The Way with its doctrines, its hierarchy, its mandates, its directives - was part of my life blood for decades.

I "exited" an organization, a structure.

But I'm still in process of "leaving" ... and dying ... and probably will be until my last physical breath.

Way Tree Emblem

The Way structured itself like a tree, "The Way Tree."

Each believer was a "Leaf" on that mighty tree.

The former 1970s/1980s Way musical band Pressed Down, Shaken Together, and Running Over, wrote and performed a song about The Way Tree. The song is entitled, I Am A Leaf.

***

Listen here: I Am A Leaf

Sun shines softly on my face
The sweet air surrounds me
I'm perched here in my quiet place
To bless this mighty tree
The rain falls slowly from the sky
To kiss the ground near me
Our thirsty roots take in the water
Giving life to me

I am a leaf
On a mighty tree

I am a leaf
I am a leaf
On a mighty tree

Growing is a quiet song
Sung softly to the heart
A gentle peaceful melody
From the great conductor's chart
A bold majestic symphony
A revelry of love
Embracing joy
Enlaced with laughter
And wisdom from above

I am a leaf
On a mighty tree

I am a leaf
I am a leaf
On a mighty tree

A tree in the morning light
Standing so tall
Applauding the grace of God
Rooted strong
In life's sweet song of love
One man's stand may not seem like much
But when we look we see
Jesus Christ,
He was a man
And he set many free

I am a leaf
On a mighty tree
I am a leaf
I am a leaf
On a mighty tree
On a mighty tree
On a mighty tree

6 comments:

Anna Maria said...

Interesting observations Carol. I sometimes stand in front of the mirror and pull my cheeks up and wish I had a lot of money so I could do it permanently...but there is a lot to say for aging... You get wiser and realize you made mistakes and hope there is not a wrinkle etched in your face for every one. "They" say there is a reason for every thing that happens in your life. I find this easy to accept though I have no idea what some of those reasons are...just as you are likely never to know exactly why you got mixed up with The Way.

But you can feel good that you were blessed to get away from it. You will never forget the trauma it caused but you can put it in it's proper place...the garbage can of your life. Trust me...we all have those that are filled with refuse we wish had never been...but they just make us wiser in knowing what to avoid in the future. Smile often...I've heard that's the best deterrent to wrinkles. :)

Unknown said...

I was in The Way, too. So much pain there. I feel I wasted ... No, destroyed 7 years of my life that I wish I could get back. Spiritual abuse is real.

oneperson said...

I hope I am following in footsteps of others (like yourself) to age gracefully. You (and others) are an inspiration...and I am grateful. <3

Ha, on the face lift. I have some face exercises that I did for a couple decades. I've recently started back with them; I do them while at my senior's water exercise class. The other members get a kick out of them. ;)

Yes...these life experiences that have come from not-so-good choices or circumstances beyond our control.I'm still finding the proper place for certain experiences...which bin to put them in. (I think of the bins us townsfolk have for things we've used and are ready to place somewhere else. Glass. Paper. Corrugated cardboard. Trash. Compost. Yard brush. Electronic graveyard. Donations of usable items. Bulky Item pick up. A variety of bins!)

I'll keep on smilin' with you Anna!

As always, thank you for reading and sharing...
xoxo

oneperson said...

Hey Beth,

Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

So sorry to read of the destruction. :-/

Organizations that go the way of The Way leave a trail of raped souls.

Glad (understatement) you got out and hopefully have received much healing since leaving The Way.

<3
~Carol

... Zoe ~ said...

I like the reference to keeping the fluid active. I've completely stopped writing/blogging. I can't figure out if I'm resting or turning to stone. Yikes.

The thing is, once you pull up your face, you've gotta make sure you pull up your eyes too. Then it's likely you need to pull up your boobs and along with it your butt. That's a whole lot of pulling. LOL!

Personally I know I've aged. Genetics? Environmental? A combination? I answer yes, all of the above. I know that cortisol had a hay day with me and one can't really deal with that kind of hormonal dumping without consequences.

Some questions are never answered it seems to me but being aware of the questions, well that's a start.

You pulled me out of my turtle shell today. :-)

oneperson said...

*chuckle*...."whole lot of pulling" ... Indeedy!

Agree...on the combination factor. I hadn't thought about all the cortisol as a factor. It's amazing I do as well as I do, considering the circumstances (ie: all the pharmaceuticals, including corticosteroids).

That active fluid...sometimes it just spins around in circles. Hopefully I catch myself before I get too dizzy. ;)

Thanks Zoe!
<3