July 12, 2016

Yeah, I'm scared...

I was gonna wait to post a blog about the news. Wait until I had more details.

But I want to go ahead and write about it and maybe post it. And then I'm sure I'll edit it over the coming days. Seems I always edit as I reread and figure out a seemingly better way to say what I was thinking.

The news?

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I'm going to have revision hip replacement surgery either in latter August/beginning of September or in November. I should know the date by the end of July after my MRI on July 20 and my next appointment with the surgeon on July 22. I have to schedule the surgery 3 to 4 weeks after an epidural because those are my strongest weeks in regard to the nerve damage.

I had hip replacement surgery in August, 2008. Around October, 2010, I received a phone call from the surgeon informing me that my hip had been recalled. I recall that I responded to the surgeon stunned, "What?" And he repeated the information.

We kept an eye on my hip through 2012. Since I hadn't noticed hip-specific symptoms (up until earlier this year), and since my cobalt and chromium levels as of 2012 were "normal" (on the low side of "moderate" actually), I thought I was in the clear. But, it looks like that's not the case.

I had my cobalt and chromium levels checked on June 10, 2016. One has gone up over 65%, the other over 90%, which indicates my hip may be leeching metals. (Where else would the rise come from?) The levels I have are typically not high enough to cause the widespread nerve damage I've had since 2011. Usually folks with widespread nerve damage have levels about 10x higher than mine. But still, it's not good that they are on the rise. And they may be a bigger factor than we realize with the nerve damage...or at least me being able to heal.

Regardless, the hip is coming out. By me, the sooner the better, unless some sort of unforeseen circumstance is discovered.

Needless to say, I'm scared.

The first hip surgery was no walk in the park. (Though I could walk a great deal better after I recovered! Well, up until the nerve damage which started Spring, 2011.)

Recovery was rough first time around without nerve damage. Now I'll have to manage the nerve damage.

I'm scared. Oh yeah, I already said that. :/

I know I'll have to manage one day at a time, but I've been thinking that I'll have to put my focus on 3 weeks out after the surgery. Once I successfully hit three weeks, then I should be able to make it on through the following months.

Good thing is, my legs and arms and hands and feet are much improved since I added the Charlotte's Web Hemp Extract on June 10, 2015. And I no longer have the severe, earth-sucking heaviness. I don't know if I could have managed a surgery without that improvement.

Also, I'm smaller than the first time around. I used to have thunder thighs. Due to the nerve damage, I've lost over 30 pounds and my thighs are less meaty and less muscly. but maybe muscly enough since I'm biking. I hit over 1000 miles yesterday, for 2016. :)

As the news regarding my hip has sunk in, I've thought of my visit to Grandfather Fir on June 1. Maybe this news is another piece of the puzzle. Perhaps I'll go see him again this upcoming week while I'm taking some days away from work.

~*~

June 10 has become a significant date for me.
  • June 10, 2010: I received the Knapp email which was the linchpin for the cascade that followed, an experience I never imagined would happen. It had a severe and traumatizing blow on my psyche.
  • June 10, 2015: I added Charlotte's Web Hemp Extract to my regimen in my continued search for answers regarding my ongoing and spreading nerve damage that began in Spring, 2011. I've had significant improvement since then.
  • June 10, 2016: I had the appointment with the hip surgeon, which led to the discovery of the increased metals in my system, which may be a factor in my nerve damage.

Maybe on June 10, 2017, I'll be able to hike to Thomas Knob Shelter at Grayson Highlands. I've not hiked it since May, 2014, because I haven't been able to walk that far since.

Thomas Knob is where I had a chance encounter with Rising Tide on that last hike in May, 2014. Rising Tide is the trail name of an AT thru-hiker who recovered from quadriplegia and was thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, 2180ish miles, in 2014. Amazing story. And one I have recalled countless times, which has kept me going time and again in my ongoing search for answers regarding my current disability.

~*~

If I make it through this and actually get well, I think I'll resort to "witch doctors" for any future ailments.

Mercury toxicity, which probably came from the since-removed amalgam fillings in my teeth, was a key factor in my decades-long battle with asthma and immune dysfunction. Once I got the mercury out and my level down, asthma (and later allergies) have been nonexistent for the most part.

Pseudomonas-contaminated alubuterol which I was inhaling through my nebulizer for months in the mid '90s as I struggled to breathe and overcome multiple bouts of pneumonia. Pseudomonas can cause pneumonia. Hundreds of people died. I was lucky.

Hip replacement surgery due to hip degeneration probably caused by the abundance of steroids consumed for  almost two decades to keep me breathing. That hip ended up a recall and may slowly be poisoning me.

The drug terbinafine (generic oral Lamisil) precipitated the current widespread nerve damage I live with.

Not to mention a corrupt licensed mental health therapist.

How could witch-doctory be much worse?

~*~


11 comments:

zoe said...

i want you to know that i sit here with tears in my eyes. for your pain yes but also because i am so glad to know you in this weird world of knowing people that we don't know - if you know what i mean

i have learned things just from the narrative of your life, in your sharing etc.

i started to cry when you mentioned mercury - i had mine removed as well - one wonders if it was best stirring that stuff up but my goodness i didn't connect the dots here until reading your post - see my asthma & allergies seemed to have dwindled away too - i'd write more if i had 2 hands to type with :)

just know i appreciate you - i also understand your fear & don't blame you

we use to have an apple tree that i climbed in to for my talks - we had to take it down - i miss it

we were married on june 10th :)

if you find a good witch doctor i'd like a referral <3

Anna Maria said...

Carol, I so admire your tenacity and determination to get well. I have faith you will and I will continue praying for you. I add all my "cyber" friends to those I pray for every morning and evening. Not sure it does anyone any good but me. :) Hopefully the hip surgery will be successful and not as bad as you anticipate. My best friend in her early eighty's had both of her's replaced last year and it was tough but she is pain free and able to walk so much better. Bless you in your recovery. Love you!

oneperson said...

Thanks Zoe. ((( <3 )))

Yes, I now what you mean... knowing people that we don't know.

Interesting about the mercury in regard to your asthma. I employed other things to help with allergies after we got the mercury down. But the asthma relief came directly from ridding the mercury before we addressed (again) the other allergy symptoms. It was like once I got the mercury out of the way, my body could address the other allergy symptoms.

Seeing you as a little girl in that apple tree brings me a smile. :)

Another June 10th! :D Happy belated anniversary, btw. :)

I'll let you know about that witch doctor.

<3

oneperson said...

Thank you Anna!
And thank you for the prayers. <3

Yay for your friend and the relief she received! Early 80s and to make it through those surgeries and to walk without that pain...Wondermous.

I think once I see the surgeon again and once I see my neurologist again, it will help calm some of my fears. It's recovering while managing the nerve damage that I am most concerned about.

I'm trying to keep my sense of humor through all this...and to keep the situation in perspective. Some days I do pretty good! :D Maybe I'll get to "most days" as they roll by. :)

<3

Zoe said...

I wasn't a little girl in that apple tree. I was in my 30's 40's & 50's. LOL!

oneperson said...

LOL!

That's even better! :D

Covecritters said...

I'll be keeping you in my prayers, wish I were there to be of some help!

oneperson said...

Thank you Linda!

I wish you would be here too! If I pay your flight, can you come? lol (just kidding!)

oneperson said...

My surgery is schedule for August 31.

I am not as scared as when I wrote this blog entry on July 12. Sometime after I posted it, I got to thinking about folks I know who are paralyzed and have had surgeries. They healed from those surgeries. My nerve damage isn't near as bad as theirs. So, that helped some of my fear.

Another thing...the surgeons doesn't do any surgery on my titanium rod in my femur bone that I received during my first hip replacement surgery. Only my ball and socket are replaced. I about jumped out of my chair and hugged the surgeon when I learned that. :)

(I thought I had posted a comment here last week about my surgery date. I must have forgotten to click "publish.")

Zoe said...

Thanks for letting us know Carol. Will be thinking of you that's for sure. (((hugs))) and <3 hearts.

oneperson said...

Thanks Zoe! <3