January 29, 2017

A Fabiolous Day ~ Grayson Highlands, 1/25/17

This piece will be short compared to all the little (which were big to me) details that occurred this past Wednesday, 1/25/17, along my journey to, at, and from Grayson Highlands State Park in Virginia. Just that I had strength enough to do the trip is a big deal. I'm getting closer to pre-surgery status. Thank Groot.

The day before on Tuesday I looked at the weather forecast which was clear for Wednesday and unseasonably warm - in the 50s. We've had little sun the past couple weeks. A sunny, warm winter day along highland vistas felt inviting.

~Gosh, I'd love a mountain trip if I'm feeling strong enough. Where should I go? Blue Ridge Parkway? Grayson Highlands?

I was viewing my Twitter account Tuesday evening. I gazed at my background photo - Fabio cantering across an open field. I had taken the photo this past summer.

Fabio is one of the feral ponies of Grayson Highlands and the Mt. Rogers Wilderness Area. He was given his name by some locals and has become a mascot of sorts for the feral ponies of the Virginia Highlands. 

~I'd love to see Fabio. 

I mulled over between the Parkway and Grayson.

~Grayson it is, as long as I feel strong enough.

I felt up to it Wednesday morning and left around 10:45 am. The drive takes about 2 hours, but it's a nice drive. The drive is part of my enjoyment on these excursions.

Once at the Park I stopped at the Ranger Station and had a pleasant exchange with Ranger Shirley. I asked, "Are there any Fabio puzzles?" I'd been requesting a Fabio puzzle for a few years. None were ever made, except for a children's puzzle of about 15 pieces. I wanted a 'real' puzzle.

To my surprise, Shirley responds, "Yes! They are brand new, and we just got the shipment. I saw the shipment box this morning." Typically puzzles and such are sold at the Park Store, not the Ranger Station. The Park Store is closed through the winter so all goods are delivered to the Station while the Store is closed.

Shirley went in the back, found the box, and opened it. A 300-piece puzzle of Fabio! I was thrilled, and so was Shirley. I am now the proud owner of the first-sold, 300-piece Fabio puzzle. I also bought a Fabio magnet for my refrigerator.

Then I drove the couple miles further into the Park to Massie Gap, parked Edward the Explorer, and began my trek. My destination was a little over a mile to a bench that sits right at the border of the State Park which adjoins Mt. Rogers Wilderness Area, a part of Jefferson National Forest.

Near the bench was a herd of ponies. But Fabio wasn't among the herd. I took some fun photos, rested on the bench for awhile, and then started the trek back. I was happy even though I didn't see Fabio.

~Maybe I'll see Fabio next trip.

As I hiked back to Massie Gap, after about 1/2-mile, I heard a whinny over my left shoulder. I stopped, turned, and looked for about 5 seconds, but didn't see a pony. So I turned to continue my trek.

I took about 2 steps. Another whinny. I stopped, turned, and looked for about 5 seconds. As I was ready to turn back to continue my trek, a pony came from behind a knoll, trotting toward me.

"Fabio!"

I could hardly believe my eyes. And he was all alone! Usually he's with a herd.

It was a true fairy tale moment!

I won't go into my conversation with Fabio, but suffice it say he gave me a showing. Including finding a small barren tree-bush to scratch his rump...going back and forth while I photographed him.

Sky. Wind. Sun.
Hawks. Crows. Birds.
Trees. Meadows. Fenceless fields.
Freedom of nature.
Cradled away from the hurriedness of modern life.
Oceans of land where these little ponies run free along a ridge in the Virginia Highlands.
The magic of Grayson.
A healing balm.
There is no monetary price that comes close...

~*~

Fabio Therapy















~*~

11 comments:

Denise said...

I looked up Fabio and it is Italian for bean farmer. Trivia. Hehe.

~carol said...

Ha! :D I'd never looked it up...until I read your post here.

The Urban Dictionary is quite funny, in light of my blog post:
"person who girls with no lives obsess over. they have no chance with this person, but will not take this for an answer. instead they continue to fantasize about trips they will take with this person and times they will get to see him"

Lol...I do fantasize my trips and getting to see Fabio! :D At least some of those fantasies become realities. :)

Denise said...

How apropos!

Denise said...

Now I'm wondering why I no longer get notifications when you post. Hum.

Anonymous said...

Boy! I can sure see how he got his name! Beautiful pony ... and such a wonderful encounter ... very healing, I am sure.

SP

oneperson said...

I think for each blog post you comment on, you have to check a little box to receive notifications. I don't like that, but that's the way it is...or was.

oneperson said...

Thanks SP. Yes, it was a great day. My old iPhone4 ...well, it's slow, like me and the pics are sub-quality, but good enough for memory-reminders. :)

FYI: A week ago, I received my 2nd epidural and 4th round of neck shots since surgery. Finally, they are working again like they worked pre-surgery...and maybe a bit better(?). Time will tell. But I was starting to get concerned. I'm still not through the woods yet, as far as getting back to pre-surgery status. And may not be for another 6 to 8 months. But I feel I've gotten over a major hump. Also...I finally heard from the law firm last Wednesday - the big firm that is handling my case regarding the defective hip. I should receive some papers (plaintiff fact sheet and some other stuff) in the mail by today. I'm sure I'll have questions. But once I get those answered and sign the papers, the suit will be filed...finally. I'll be glad to get that out of the way.

Anna Maria said...

Great you felt like going hiking again and your story of Fabio is fabulous. So is he! Loved it! Keep progressing!

oneperson said...

Thank you Anna! <3

Zoe said...

Fabio! How special. Just so cool. <3 So glad you got to go for that hike. I'm often amazed at the ups and downs of recovery/healing/every day stuff that those with chronic pain can go through. Often people look at us and outwardly we do not appear ill or in pain. Then when we tell our stories about hikes and walks on the beach and I'm sure some people think "Well you can't be that bad!" Oh if they only knew. Yes, we can be that bad but we also have our times when we too are surprised at what we can do &/or manage. :) And these Fabio-like moments are always there for us to hold on to when we have some of our not so great moments.

oneperson said...

"Then when we tell our stories about hikes and walks on the beach and I'm sure some people think "Well you can't be that bad!" Oh if they only knew."

Yes, if folks only knew. Right now, I'm doing well because my last injections are (finally) working again. But I know relief will wane. As least my symptoms follow a pattern.

I'm so thankful I found my current neurologist. I didn't have to "prove" to him how bad I would get. Of course, he's also seen me at some of my worst. He's from Sweden and I get concerned that he'll move back with the current state of affairs. He's never stated that...and I'm not going to ask.