January 24, 2017

Creativity and the lack thereof...

"Friend" seems like an inadequate word to describe the closest of my friends.
Comrades. Partners. Those with whom I can share some of my deepest challenges, doubts, imperfections, and triumphs.

In the past I have referred to myself as a poet and memoirist. I don't think I've ever referred to myself as an author or writer even though poets and memoirists are authors and writers. Currently I don't refer to myself with any of those labels.

I still write, but not like I once did. Words don't come as easily as they used to. Many days, maybe most, it is difficult for me to express my feelings and thoughts in script. I know that comes from living with chronic pain and disability which affect my cognitive function, my energy, my ability to produce.

To produce. Something I long to do but so often lack the ability.

On my better days and weeks between my routine epidurals and injections, I sometimes feel a spur of creativity. Often the surge has dissipated when I later would have time to pen my thoughts; that energy has had to go elsewhere and there is not enough left to get the thoughts into printed words. And then creativity evaporates.

I have always felt a fondness toward nature. As a child and teenager, I'd sometimes sleep outside in a sleeping bag in the summer, alone with the stars and bugs and wet dew in the morning. I regret that I never pursued anything professional in that field. And now, I don't have the energy to do so.

Since becoming disabled, I often seek solace with nature. She cradles me and speaks to me without words. I have become an observing participant with her. I talk to her. She often causes my heart to swell and happy tears to roll. She comforts me. Sometimes, I feel like Snow White in my often critter sightings. It seems they understand me as we observe each other.

I'm not naive to think nature will always take care of me, so to speak. Lightening could strike. A bear could attack. A flood or earthquake or tornado could sweep life away in a moment's time.

This evening I watched part of a PBS documentary on Rachel Carson, the author of Silent Spring which is about the overuse of DDT and its detrimental effects on nature, published around 1962, a time when DDT was in vogue.

After she started writing the book, Carson became ill for weeks or months. Along with sinusitis and other symptoms, she developed a type of arthritis in her knees and ankles and couldn't walk for weeks or months. A horrible circumstance for anyone, but especially a Naturalist. (Not long after those symptoms she developed cancer.)  During those weeks/months of disability (but before the cancer) she wrote in her personal writings or perhaps in a letter to a friend, I'm not sure which, something along the lines that her creativity had left her and she felt the author who once lived within no longer resided there.

With tears in my eyes I whispered aloud to the television, "I know. I so understand."  It is something I too suffer.

I wrote a friend today, that somehow I want to believe there is a purpose to this suffering. That somehow it will turn to good for something. I may be fantasizing or just wishing, and that's okay. I don't know if I'll ever quit hoping and wishing.

I opened this essay, if that's what it is, with a paragraph about "friends." I hope to come back to that with a Part Two.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those words. I find it one of the most disconcerting things that is going on with me right now. I can't remember the word. Often I will go to say it and I will stop mid sentence and then say, "oh what is THAT word. I can't remember it. It starts with an 'A' . . . yes, it starts with an 'A'." Then I move on with the conversation because the person on the other end doesn't really want to wait it out and we move on to another completely different conversation and it comes to me, the 'A' word and I shout out "Abstract! That's the word that starts with an 'A'." It's exhausting. I hate it. :( I hate it so much that I've become more a listener than a talker and I was already a good listener. Maybe now I'm even a better listener. Sometimes I think that's my creative mode now. Listener. :) I find that for me the bump in the road with words has minimized my writing to these more than often rarer events. It's sad in a way because I think we've got more we could say now at our age and after our experiences . . . but fatigue plays a major role. Fatigue - pain. Pain - fatigue. Like you though, nature does offer me a break, if even for a moment in time to break a bit of the cycle.

Rachel's book sounds interesting. I think I will inquire. The same way you two feel the author no longer resides is the way I feel about the athlete that no longer resides within. Or even the dancer. I use to teach dance aerobics and when that all became a challenge I relied on my brain to dance. I'd choreograph movement in my mind. Now, the dancer in my mind isn't strong enough to choreograph.

I think though it is difficult, we are still creative. Just this post alone IS creative Carol. <3

oneperson said...

I like your perspective about maybe your creative mode is that of being a listener now...or rather more of a listener.

Sadly, I have trouble with listening to words too. But perhaps I feel I should engage, which I'm unable to do so often. But, I do think I have become more observant...especially with nature.

I miss the wit my mind once had. Some say that is simply a byproduct of aging - having a less sharp mind. Some people have responded to me, in the context of my disability, that getting old is tough. I don't try to correct them, but I know by their comment that they don't understand that most of my symptoms are not due to the normal aging process.

I hear you regarding the athlete too...and the dancer. I love to dance, and it has been minimal the last 5+ years. Not to mention hiking, walking, using my arms and hands, etc. I'm grateful I discovered I can ride a bike though...even though that too has been minimal since surgery.

This past Monday, I received my 2nd epidural since surgery and my 4th round of neck injections since surgery. Finally, finally, I feel relief closer to what I used to get pre-surgery. I was starting to get concerned. I know the relief will wane, but I'm enjoying it while I can. And...I continue to remember the sustained improvement I've had since mid-2015. I have an inkling of hope that maybe, just maybe, as the metal levels come down I'll gain more ability. I so want to be able to function without the epidurals and injections.

Regarding "Silent Spring," I've never read it. The documentary was moving and I too want to look up the book and Carson's life and read more. And now that the US political powers that be are looking at privatizing protected federal lands...well...it's deeply disturbing. There is even a pipeline proposal to cross the Appalachian Trail within Jefferson National Forest and within about 40(?) miles of where the feral ponies roam. :( I'm just heartbroken and asks, "How? How? How can they do that?!?" But I know the answer. If the proposal passes, construction starts mid-2017. It's just so ... stupid. I've written my letters and signed the petition. I thought last night that maybe I'll send the powers-that-be a copy of Dr. Suess's "The Lorax" and ask, "What will your progeny think of you when they read this book?"

Thanks for the kudos on the "creative" post. <3

xo

oneperson said...

Had a serendipitous encounter last night...with the book "Silent Spring." Picked up a great condition used copy for $5. I've only read the introduction, and it's already worth more than that $5. Plus, I can write in the margins. :)

So many quotes are pertinent, especially in light of tRump's attempts for information control.