February 10, 2017

Surrealisms

Life has had an increasing surreal quality lately.

"Lately." How lately?

Probably beginning two weeks ago. On a scale of 1 to 10 on the surreal scale, the score was maybe 5(?) two weeks ago. I'd say it's increased to a full 10.

~*~

My response to my 1/23/17 lumbar epidural and cervical neck injections has been...really good.

I didn't have the yucky, uncomfortable side effects that I typically experience -- hot flashes, severe heartburn and bloating, copious saliva, slight edginess, insomnia, headaches, low back pain, shooting pains in right bicep and ankle.

I have had one side effect that I haven't previously experienced -- I've been ravenously hungry for about 12 days. Since I've been on steroids beginning in July, 2011, I haven't had the overhunger side effect that usually comes with steroids; in fact, I've had the opposite and have even lost weight.

This round I didn't feel toxic; that's the only way I know to describe it. It's like I'm balanced. I'm also sleeping well. It's quite odd and has caused me to be a bit disoriented and thinking, Is this real?

~*~

Today, for the first time since Summer, 2011....drum roll....

...I am taking zero milligrams of prednisone.

I have taken between .5 to 20 milligrams every single day since the summer of 2011. (I've taken the .5 dosage only two days, and that was this week.) That I can even conceive of the idea of zero prednisone is incredible.

No prednisone. It simply doesn't feel real...I'm having to pinch myself.

At the same time, I'm keeping my enthusiasm in check and taking a wait-and-see approach. I'm quite curious how long I'll be able to stay at zero milligrams.

This doesn't mean I'll have zero amount of pharmaceutical corticosteroids; I am still under the influence of steroids because of my routine injections.

~*~

Yesterday for the first-like time since the spring of 2011, I was able to lift a not-quite-full gallon container of milk from the kitchen counter to the top shelf of the refrigeration using only one arm and hand.

I experienced no shooting pain or lameness. Instead I felt my triceps and biceps working, similar to when I began to again feel my thigh muscles working in the summer of 2015.

I was rather stunned. It's like my arm just did it...like it's memory started working properly. I kind of felt like my arm was separate from my body. I just stood there momentarily, taking in the moment.

I was able to use my arm, not my scapula, to lift the jug. (In 2014, my occupational therapist taught me how to use my scapulas to lift my arms. It has become habit. But even at that my arm use was limited as far as being able to lift any weight, including my arms' own weight.)

For the past five-plus years, in order to lift any container to a shelf higher than our kitchen counter, I would have to use my stronger left arm and hand (and later scapula) to act as the main lifter. I'd use my weaker right arm and hand to help balance. I'd have to concentrate to lift. Once I placed the container on a higher shelf I would open my hands, palms down. With fingers outstretched as well as I could stretch them, I would allow my hands to "fall" the slight distance to the shelf where my outstretched fingers would break the fall. As I'd continue to focus I'd then allow my hands and forearms to fall a little further and with all my concentration slow the fall using my triceps (and later scapula; my biceps were pretty useless) until my arms were at a safe level where they could support themselves and be able come all the way down without injury or shooting pain through my biceps.

~*~

Zero prednisone...
Lifting a not-quite-full gallon of liquid with one arm and hand...
I'm afraid to believe it's real...
And maybe it won't last...
But I'll enjoy it while it's here...

~*~

Yesterday I read an article about robotic bees being designed to help pollinate plants due to the decrease in numbers of real live bees and butterflies. It was like reading science fiction.

From The Los Angeles Times: As bee populations dwindle, robot bees may pick up some of their pollination slack.



I'm currently reading Rachel Carson's 1962 non-fiction book, Silent Spring. I've only gotten as far as the chapter about insecticides and their far-reaching harms.

Robotic bees to pollinate.
The current USA Administration's assault against protecting our environment.
Representative Matt Gaetz's proposed bill to "terminate the Environmental Protection Agency".

Rachel's ashes are probably ready to reignite and explode.

~*~

And then there's the whole tRump scene.
I have to remind myself I'm not watching a fiction movie or cartoon.

~*~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having to take no prednisone ... a great blessing, whether for a long time or short. I think it's great about being able to lift the milk,too. Steps toward physical wholeness are always nice!

SP

Zoe said...

(((Enjoy it as you say.))) I have Silent Spring on my Amazon wish list. Just waiting to see if the price drops first. If not I'll still buy it as I got a gift card for Christmas. Yesterday I was watching one of those morning news shows and there was a doctor on there and he quoted from her book Silent Spring. :)

BTW, you've got mail.

oneperson said...

Thanks SP.

My zero pred lasted a full two days. lol But that's okay. I tried to alternate days with 0 and .5 mg. I had to go back to .5 every day...which is still a reduction from the 1 up to 5 mg every day. I'm sure I'll still have to boost as my injection meds wear off, which is what I always have to do. But the reduction to .5 and being able to still function well enough until I have to boost is progress. :)

oneperson said...

It's kind of a depressing book, so it's slow reading for me. To counter the depressive aspect, I'm reading a children's series by Madeline L'Engle. So enjoying the series!

I wish Silent Spring (or at least it's Introduction) were required reading for US Congress.

I have been enjoying the relief, thank you. It's waning a bit now, but that's normal. I think I'm still faring better than usual though. Time will tell.

Got the mail. :)
<3