July 16, 2017

Play: A deep subject


I found a post online, with pictures: How to make a clover bracelet
As children, friends and I often made these bracelets in the sun.

I penned the following in my personal journal on 4/23/2003.
Four days later, I began my 45th year of life.

~*~
4/23/2003

Learning to play again is foundational to experiencing the fullness of life.

What is play? Freedom.

Freedom of expression. Freedom of movement. Freedom of thought.
Swings and creeks. Daisies. Bracelets in the sun.

Play has no time boundaries. Play has no schedule. Play flows and ripples like a creek with various dips, turns, waterfalls, and rate of flow. Sometimes it flows quickly and then gently slows into a quiet, relaxing swimming hole. Continue down the creek and the flow picks up speed again. Play is not stagnant. Play is open to unlimited possibilities.

Play is a child's work, a child's occupation. It is a child's calling and vocation. Play develops neural circuitry within that child's system that is crucial to the mental, emotional, and physical health and wellness of that child.

I believe in neurogenesis. Maybe...as I learn to play again, my system will respond with the genesis of youthful, exuberant, fresh, joyous, satisfied, stimulating, flexible, intuitive neural circuitry.

My....play is a deep subject.

~*~

I was still in The Way in April, 2003.
The Way wasn't big on "free time."
We were taught to "schedule the adversary out of our lives."
I think the above journal entry shows part of the process of chiseling my way out of The Way,
like a chick tapping its way out of an egg.
Hard work for a chick.
I left The Way in October, 2005.

2 comments:

Anna Maria said...

Love it! I'm pushing 80 now and I still make time every day to play at something I like to do. It's what makes life worth living.

oneperson said...

Glad you enjoyed this little snippet Anna. :)

I hope I make it to pushing 80 and have the attitude you have! I'm gonna "Be like Anna!" :D

But why wait? I might as well start now. 'Carol, make time to play every day.' :)