July 3, 2017

I tell myself I'm lucky....

It dawned on me this morning that, instead of trying to get back to a pre-surgery pattern in regard to managing my nerve damage, I'd benefit more by accepting the apparent new pattern that has emerged.

Pre-surgery during my "good" weeks, I'd have consecutive "good" days in a row. Up to like 21 days? That is no longer the case. It's not that I don't get relief, but rather the relief is bumpy, up-and-down, instead of consecutive.

Used to be the typical pattern was:
I'd get my epidural/neck-shot combination. I'd get relief within the first week. Then once it was in full force which would begin in post-weeks one or two, I'd get consecutive daily relief up until post-week four or five at which time I'd have to boost my daily prednisone from 1.5 mg to around 6 mg and then tritrate back down to 1.5 mg to then receive my neck shots at post-week 6 which would take me to post-week nine or ten before I'd have to boost my daily prednisone to 15 mg and then tritrate down to 1.5 to take me to post-week 12 when I'd receive my next epidural/neck-shot combo. (How's that for a long, boring, run-on sentence?)

The new, post-surgery pattern is:
I get my epidural/neck-shot combo. Like with my pre-surgery pattern, I feel the relief within the first week. But I'm not sure when it reaches full force. Kind of seems it never arrives, and neither does the pre-surgery consecutive-days relief pattern.

I have a "good" day and then have one or two "bad" days which I push through trying to re-establish my pre-surgery pattern. And I end up frustrated and more fatigued than if I hadn't tried to re-establish that old normal. Since surgery I've also had to  apply my two routine prednisone boosts earlier in my twelve-week cycle, at post-weeks two to three (as opposed to four or five) and again post-weeks eight to nine (as opposed to nine or ten).

My "good" weeks are relative and do not mean that my body functions normally; but rather, my body performs better in comparison to my "bad" weeks which I may start referring to as my "count-down" weeks putting a more positive spin on the label.

All that said, it appears that since surgery I am getting improvement in my back. And maybe also in my neck and jaws and arms. I'll just have to wait and see how this 12-week round unfolds.

I tell myself I'm lucky, most incredibly lucky....
Sometimes it doesn't work...
And I cry...

Today, it's working.

~*~

"You try to tell yourself that you've been lucky, most incredibly lucky, and usually that works because it's true. Sometimes it doesn't work, that's all. Then you cry." ~Stephen King

I get it, completely.
I think most people who have lived their fair share of this life get it.
If not now or yet, they'll most likely get it at some point.

King's quote is from his book On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, page 263 in my version. The context is a few weeks after King had been hit by a minivan while he was walking in 1999. He was still in the hospital and hadn't yet started rehab. It was a horrendous accident. If he hadn't landed right where he landed after the collision, he would have most likely been killed or permanently paralyzed.

Dad wasn't as lucky as King. Dad didn't get killed, but he was rendered a quadriplegic for his remaining twelve-and-a-half years of life. Dad was in a vehicle in his head-on collision in 1983; he wasn't walking.

~*~

If there is a loving creator, I don't think s/he/it would demand a temple from men's hands to be built for him or her or it. Nor do I think s/he/it would demand worship. What good parent would ever demand worship from their children or relics to be built to a parent? A good parent doesn't demand credit be given them. A good parent (or person who's lived enough experiences/years) knows that the fruit of their labor and/or loins and/or life is enough.

Are not the beauties of creation enough for a creator?

I read from the Amplified Bible earlier today, the introduction and chapters one and two of the Book of Hebrews.

~*~

4 comments:

Anna Maria said...

I'm glad you are having a good day Carol and are feeling some improvement. Happy 4th of July! I sincerely doubt a loving Creator would expect us to build huge monuments and temples to worship It in either...but rather we use any extra funds we have to try and create a more peaceful world for those less fortunate. It just galls me to see how so many T.V. evangelists who swear on the Bible and Jesus Christ use so much of the money they generate to live lifestyles of kings and millionaires. I would think it would hack off any Supreme Being in whose name they preach.

oneperson said...

Amen Anna.

If there is a future time of judgement and all things revealed, I think we will all be in for some surprises. And more so for the self-righteous proclaimers of so-called truth.

Thanks for the Happy 4th and good health vibes. <3

Have you done your traveling yet?

Anna Maria said...

I recently flew to Memphis to celebrate my great-grandson 3rd birthday and I'm really looking for to spending the last week of July in New Hampshire celebrating with family my soldier grandson's "family" wedding. He met a wonderful army nurse and they married in a quick civil service last May all the while planning to have big formal "church" wedding in her hometown of Wolfeboro N.H. this year. All my kids and most of the grandkids will be there and it isn't very often anymore we can all get together. I'll probably squirm a little in the Catholic Church I left over 40 years ago but if it's their thing...I wish them many years of wedded bliss and blessings. <3

oneperson said...

So wonderful Anna!! The Memphis trip was like a little sneak preview. ;D
All the kids and most of the grandkids in NH later this month. What an awesome gift. <3

I hear you on the squirming...just don't fart! :D

And I join in with your wishes for many years of wedded bliss and blessings.


xo