June 8, 2024

My friend Dieter...

Today I searched my blog for a piece about the night I spent at The Saddle back in the early 2000s. But I couldn't find a piece anywhere, though I thought I'd written about that sacred night. (Edit note: I found it a couple days later! Yay! And she asks her friends to blow away her cells of ingratitude...)

But I ran across this unpublished piece. So, I'm publishing it now, almost five years later. Only five years?! Wow, it feels like 10...

~*~
Summer, 2019

I may come back and share more details about the last few days of Dieter's life. He was in Hubby's and my care when he became too tired to keep up the fight...

*~*

My friend Dieter...
...died on July 3rd. I held him in my lap as he was gently put to sleep by his beloved veterinarian. Dieter developed SARDS in early 2015. He was totally blind within a few months.

I don't think I've ever loved a pet as much as Dieter. And I was only his part-time human mom. I miss him. I believe he understood my struggles as much as, or more than, most humans do.

Thank you, Dieter, for loving me...through some of my darkest hours...and more. 
You will always be in my heart...

Dieter...inspiring all who knew him to see life beyond what only their eyes could behold...
June 25, 2008 - July 3, 2019.



Dieter. 6/28/19... Ride back after The Saddle



Dieter. 6/28/19... The Saddle
Five days later, he crossed the rainbow bridge.