June 16, 2024

Good promise...

Yesterday, for a Father's Day gift, Hubby wanted to take a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP). I drove so he could just relax and take in the scenery. The trip was very similar to my solo June 7th trip -- not crowded at all, but a few more humans and cars than June 7th. It was much hotter than the week before, but still 10 or so degrees cooler than in the low country. 

We stopped at Mabry Mill and took a little walk. We then enjoyed conversation with a park ranger. The blacksmith wasn't there because he was sick yesterday. The water wheel was turning as the water flowed over the circular stairsteps within and around the water wheel. Stairsteps is my term; I think the technical term is paddles. 

We then drove to The Saddle Overlook and hiked uphill on the section of the old Appalachian Trail, up to the old shelter and then to the outcrop of rocks for the view. After we came back down, we conversed with a man and his son about different parkways -- Foothills Parkway, which I wasn't familiar with and Cherohala Skyway, which I am familiar with. I just love the connections with trail and BRP folk. 

~*~

The highlights of the day...

~Visiting old friends at the Poor Farmers Market -- Eileen, Ken, and George; all in their 80s. A couple years ago, on Eileen's 80th birthday, I sang her a birthday song. Well, it's actually an ABC song. But some 25 years ago I decided it'd make a great birthday song. I sang it again to her yesterday, since I've missed her last two birthdays. 

~Meeting Jeff, for the first time. He was up from Florida taking care of his Blue Ridge Mountain property. Funny thing, Jeff and I were born the same year at the same hospital in Florida. And here we meet in Meadows of Dan, VA. That was like, "Wow!" His family used to own Aunt Catfish Restaurant on the River in Port Orange, FL. Hubby and I used to eat there when we took our annual biking trips to Daytona Beach Shores. We've not been able to visit since 2021, but we are both crossing fingers that I'll be well enough to take the trip again in 2025. We will, for sure, eat at Aunt Catfish again. 

~And then, on the drive down the mountain, we saw a little fawn with all its spots. Only a momentary sighting, but sooooo sweet. Both Hubby and I thought of our newborn granddaughter. We had received two sweet, tender videos of her earlier in the day.  

~*~

You never know who you might meet on any given day... 
For me it's like walking into a portal of life... 
And if I don't venture out...and into this magical portal...I may never meet these beautiful people, or animals or trees or wildlife. 
In the midst of so much angry news, these encounters give my heart some good promise for humankind and our planet...


Water trough that feeds the wheel
Mabry Mill, VA







No comments: